BUG: Lots of crashes with 6.0.3!

Working on a project that was rock solid under 6.0.2 and I got to a state where hitting play consistently crashed… Here are some logs:

===================================================================
Cubase6.exe Version 6.0.3 Build 345 - 28.7.2011 20:17

Timestamp is 4e11eb59 (Mon Jul 04 09:33:29 2011)
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address: 00000000 4E11EB59:4E11EB59 C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe

Cubase6.exe Version 6.0.3 Build 345 - 28.7.2011 20:23

Fault address: 00000000 4E11EB59:4E11EB59 C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe

Cubase6.exe Version 6.0.3 Build 345 - 2.8.2011 21:17

Fault address: 41334EB2 01:01333EB2 C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exeBytes at CS:EIP:
45 89 11 49 83 c1 04 48 83 c2 08 ff c0 41 3b c3
72 dc eb c8 48 89 f6 48 8d bf 00 00 00 00 f3 0f

Cubase6.exe Version 6.0.3 Build 345 - 2.8.2011 21:25

Cubase6.exe Version 6.0.3 Build 345 - 2.8.2011 21:30

Luckily I learned a little trick that seems to help with projects that Cubase has corrupted, but you can still load (just crash when you do this or that… in this case… just PLAY). If you choose Backup Project, you can create a duplicate project that often doesn’t contain the corruption.

Steinberg: It would be great if you could directly contact me if you want the project or more details to help you repro the crash. Normally, if I see a crash inside a DLL I go directly to the plugin maker and they are usually more than happy to help (best tech support I’ve received is from iZotope and Sknote), but in this case the crash is in Cubase itself.

If it helps, looking for the cause of over use of space on my C drive on inspection I noticed that in my “documents” folder that the folder labelled “Cubase Projects” has apparently duplicated files that I certainly saved elsewhere.
So if you find this folder check it out as the files here may be less (or more) corrupt than the files you are trying to load.

Here: Archived MSDN and TechNet Blogs | Microsoft Learn

is an example of what an access violation is.

i know what an AV is… the point is Cubase is crashing (almost all crashes are AVs or GPFs of some kind).

I’m having similar issues with 6.0.3. Nothing has changed on my system except the 6.0.3 update (from 6.0.2). The new version seems quite a bit less stable. I’m getting crashes now at random times, i.e. when I close a project, or when I try to open another or when I just try to move an event in a track to edit. The crash manifests itself by freezing the program. No blue screen. And Windows is still otherwise functioning normally. Something about the new version is less friendly with my setup.

By the way, one thing hasn’t changed with the new update: Cubase still hangs about half the time when I exit the program. I have to cntl/alt/delete, end process, then wait for the Windows dialog that gives me the choice to close the program. This has been consistent with all C6 versions.

Too many gremlins going on I’m this close to rolling back. it’s a shame :frowning:

It crashes every time i close it. “Cubase has stopped working…”
Removed Preferences didn’t help.
Removed all “vstplugins” folders neither.

Any ideas?

Win 64 Ultimate
Cubase 6.0.3 -64
Core 2 Quad Q6600
8 GB Ram

Yeah I went back to 6.02. :frowning:

Running the program like “Administrator” and with “Vista” compatibility seems that fixed the hang -crash on exit for me.
No idea why but at least it’s working fine now.

So, if you know what an AV is then you’ll know it’s to do with ram. Your system looks well up to spec though but I’d look to your bios settings first as whoever made your computer may have altered settings there, or maybe you did yourself and, like me, forgot that particular one. My system is similar with 6g ram and running fine as are a lot of users.
You may also have a faulty ram stick as well so I’d check that. I think most are guaranteed for life.

On a Core2Quad I’d also be either suspicious of the ram or the FSB getting clogged with too much data.

They’re just things to think about so don’t bite my head off.

Oh gosh no! I’m afraid you are mistaken about what an access violation means. It’s far more likely bad coding that resulted in the access violation, not a hardware problem. Usually an AV happens when you access memory that has been overwritten. Pointer, memory management problems in Cubase itself. Not bad RAM.

Yes, but bad coding in what? Cubase or one of the many programs running already? Many other programs may overwrite the wrong address. And as AV involves ram that means hardware can be involved if memory allocated to Cubase has become corrupt and therefore unusable.

I could take the view that as Cubase runs fine on many thousands of systems that Cubase has no problems in that direction. Would you say anything if yours was the only copy of Cubase that ran properly?

You cannot ignore the fact that you’re not the only user and the problem is not everybody’s. That at least should give you a rather large pointer at where you must start to get the problem fixed.
No good asking Steinberg. They don’t have a clue what’s running on your system and what’s stopping your copy of Cubase running properly when thousands are running fine on apparently similar systems.

Oh Gosh yes! It can be your computer. :mrgreen: Who told you it was bad coding?
In any case if I were you I would contact the Steinberg support or your dealer if the dealer is useful technically.

I’m sorry this is not how modern operating systems work. It’s a bug in Cubase. Windows 7 won’t let one process stomp on another one like that. The AV is because Cubase perhaps tried to but failed.

My memory checked out clean last time I tested it and this is a very new PC.

Also: my day job is managing a software engineering team for a very well known consumer product.

If that was the case then nothing would ever crash under W7.
And you have to ask yourself why there are so few Cubase systems crashing.
Managing isn’t software engineering.
“Stomp”? That’s a technical term I must say. :mrgreen:

If using one of your company’s computers to use on Cubase I’d ask your techs why Cubase crashes on it. Company computers tend to have custom software installed which could have a bearing on your problem.

Other than that I’m done here. It’s obvious you know exactly what code causes this from your answer. They’d appreciate you letting them know how to fix it. :mrgreen: :nerd:

Thanks for being done. I don’t know what it is a out the internet that makes people think that they know about something when they have flawed info and no background in the field they are insisting they are experts in. All of your assertions are wrong. And we don’t have ‘techs’ here we have software development engineers who write code for a living. Sigh.

I can’t debug the problem because I don’t have the source. If you knew the smallest amount about what you were asserting so vehemently you would know that breaking into the debugger would be useless without source and symbols.

For the record
Me: Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, graduated with distinction in the major, ivy league university. 15+ years of experience building software for PC, mobile, internet, and embedded systems. At least 5 U.S. patents granted in the field (kind of lost track at this point). Number of people using the products I’ve worked on… number in the 100s of millions.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it drives me bananas when someone completely trashes a legitimate thread with utter bogusness based on zero credible information. I can almost guarantee Steinberg won’t weigh in on this because of the ‘fud’ you spread. I feel that we should do a better job of supporting each other rather than trying to disprove people’s problems. I’m not trying to bash Cubase, I love the product. But by reporting issues we all can help make it better.

Hello,

Cubase 6.0.3 is not crashing on my computers or by other people.

Please contact the support department in your area to find out what is going on. The contact details can be found here.

Cheers,

Chris

Don’t get so wound up. But. I’ve yet to see ONE informed statement from you as to the ACTUAL PROOF of your assertions that it is “definitely Cubase”.
I haven’t trashed your thread. I have contributed constructively. It is YOU who see negativity here, not me.
You don’t seem to want to invest any effort on your part to investigate your own systems to see if that could (I’m definitely not saying MUST) contribute to your problem. Of course though, I’m showing only myself up as you refuse to go into any detail by not saying anythng technical at all. :mrgreen: (which is the quote I’ll see in your next post)
I know many, very many BSCs in the course of my lectures and NONE of them would be so certain of a single cause for a complex computing problem like this. And they all know how to explain a problem in detail so others might help them. And they don’t sulk so readily.

Reporting issues is ok. This, however, looks more and more like a griefing. Reporting issues needs objectivity and not “It must be what I say and I say it’s the company’s fault”. You open up a discussion but don’t expect all to have the same point of view.

Seeing as you must have company computers to borrow try running Cubase on a few of them and see if any run as normal copies do. Bet they run fine. How constructive is that?

I do see that you have produced some music with a product that doesn’t work.

I can’t debug the problem because I don’t have the source. If you knew the smallest amount about what you were asserting so vehemently you would know that breaking into the debugger would be useless without source and symbols.

More apologies but how can you be so certain that it’s Cubase WITHOUT this information?
I don’t assert vehmently, you do. Calm down and look at the problem rationally. You’ll see that looking at computer systems is hardly a high end task considering your immense experience.

Please read what people say and not what you think they say. You’ll end up taking meds for depression.

ps: 18 gig ram? OK, my board’s a couple of years old now but I assume they still make them as 6 slot (used to be loaded in three stick sets but I think it has changed). Apparently 3gig sticks (3 x 6 = 18) are pretty rare and I have a pretty good idea that that’s where your real problems lie.

Could be you’ve found Cubase’s present upper limit for addressing ram? Unless 18gig is a typo THATs the biggest visible difference between other happily running systems.
Take a couple of sticks out and see how she runs.

god this update is a nightmare! Cubase freezes and crashes all the time here. At least several times a day. Never had any of these problems with the versions before.

Most of the time the song plays and I can’t stop it anymore. Cubase becomes totally unresponsive but keeps on playing. The only way to get out is through the task manager and force-quit it of course I can’t save and lose the last changes/recordings.

V 6.0.3 is a huge disappointment! I’m really a Cubase fan but this is a real letdown. First the installer would not even run and crash and now this! What happened with QC at Steinberg?

BTW: I’m a professional and 20 years in the business. Pretty good with computers too… so don’t give me this ‘Cubase does not crash on any other systems’ etc. BS.

6.0.3 is seriously flawed. Stop making excuses and get it fixed my friends. Nobody ever even replied from Steinberg why the installer is broken and would not even run (See other thread…).

Are you sure it’s not your RAM?

LOL :laughing:

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :smiley: