[Bug w/ Video Demo] Phasing problem with StereoDelay

This is weird. I have a Crash Cymbal which is being fed into the Stereo Delay as an insert. The Crash is mono. My settings in the Stereo Delay are 1/4 fully left and 1/4 Dotted fully right. When I listen to the mix in mono by clicking the mono button in the Control Room, I get phasing when the two sides clash. This shouldn’t be, should it? I then tried putting the Stereo Delay so both sides are the same delay length (1/4) and there was no phasing. I then tried Waves SuperTap, recreated that Stereo Delay effect and did not get phasing. So does this mean that the Stereo Delay isn’t 100% accurate? Here’s a video to further demonstrate:

Is the stereo delay inserted on a mono channel?

No, it’s on a stereo channel. When listening in stereo it sounds fine as you would expect, but when you switch to mono via the Control Room, there is phasing. I’m thinking it’s the Stereo Delay not being 100% accurate. It’s like the 1/4 Dotted delay is slightly drifting from the 1/4 delay. Not sure if I’m making sense here. Maybe I shoul make a video.

I understand what you are saying… weird!

You know about the small problem with the mono summing in the control room?

Not, I would have thought, that would cause what you’re describing though.

I don’t think it’s that because I tested the same thing with Waves SuperTap without phasing issues. I also did a test in Stereo Delay by setting the left side to 1/4 delay and the right side the same. No issues. It must be the relation between the 1/4 and 1/4 Dotted delay that’s causing the phasing. If I find anything else out I’ll let you know. Thanks for your help.

I uploaded a video so you can better understand what I’m talking about. Don’t put it up too loud because my voice is low compared to the audio coming from Cubase.

Maybe someone can try the same thing and see if they get phasing as well.

Any chance someone can try this to see if they get the same thing?

1. Start a new project
  2. Create a stereo audio track
  3. Import a mono audio file onto that stereo audio track
  4. Add a Stereo Delay as an insert and make the left side at 1/4 note and the right side at 1/4 Dotted
  5. Play it back in mono to see if phasing occurs when the two sides play at the same time

Turn the feedback to 0…!?

If I wanted to have only 1 single left and 1 single right delay, I would put the feedback to 0. But I don’t. All I want is to have exactly as I have now, without a phasing problem when in mono. I have resorted to using milliseconds, and tweaking the delay times so they don’t phase as much. I’ve put the left 1 ms longer and the right 1 ms shorter. It helps, but the phasing is still there.

Have you tried it without the EQ switched in on the FB?

Yeah, it doesn’t make a difference. The only thing it can be is the left and right signals aren’t aligned perfectly, so when they get summed to mono, phasing occurs.

That’s what it sounds like!

You could, if you can be bothered, use a sine wave and have a look at the result.

Yeah I might try that. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I can 100% confirm that it is an issue with StereoDelay. I tested it with a raw sine wave that I recorded from NI Massive. This was the result:

http://cl.ly/image/1m2r2P3n0325

I then did the same thing with the crash cymbal I used in the video and aligned the left and right perfectly and there was no phasing. I had to nudge the right side 3 samples at first, but it then became 6 samples and so on. So, how do I report this to Steinberg? Should I just edit the post title as Bug or do I need to go to the Steinberg website? I think maybe I should get someone else to do the same test before I start calling it a bug. So could someone please help me out here?

Read the sticky on top of the forum…

Hi thinkingcap,

I read that and that is why I’d like someone to test it first before posting a title with the word bug in it.

Since no one wants to take 3 minutes of their time to see if they get the same phasing issue as me, I am declaring this as a bug. So to the moderators, the StereoDelay plugin can cause a phasing issue when listening in mono. Here’s how to reproduce it:

1. Start a new project
  2. Create a stereo audio track
  3. Import a mono audio file onto that stereo audio track
  4. Add a StereoDelay as an insert and make the left side at 1/4 note and the right side at 1/4 Dotted
  5. Use the Control Room to play it back in mono to see if phasing occurs when the two sides play at the same time. If you don’t use the Control Room, just pan both of the StereoDelay sides to the centre and it should give you the same results.

I have done several tests with it and it seems that the 1/4 note drifts from the 1/4 Dotted note several samples over time. So please have this fixed as I like to use the StereoDelay for that true stereo effect.