busy mix most plugins will no longer load

Asked to provide an instrumental version of a song today for Tv show. Songs was recorded 12 months ago. When I loaded the project no UAD plate 140s, lexicon reverbs and lots of other plugins did not reload. The worst thing is that I’m not even sure what plugins are not reloaded on some of the inserts. All I do know is that the mix sounds nothing like it did and I’m in big trouble!!

Is this totally a Windows 10 issue or is anyone having same problem with Windows 7 or 8?

Yikes, this is a worrying thread!

I’m on Windows 7 using the lastest version of Cubase (64bit) and I have never had an issue with loading plugins.

I use UAD, Slate, Relab, Waves etc etc

But the thing is I always render all Virtual Instruments to audio before I mix, I never mix with live VI’s and I also only use about 150 plugins for a mix.

To be honest I thought 150 plugins for mixing was massive, but reading this thread I can see people use many more.

One thing I have noticed though which is very annoying is projects finished on Cubase 6 or 7 on a slower lesser speced PC than I have now will not open in Cubase 8.52 and actually crash Cubase on launch.

I have always had issues opening old version projects on newer versions of Cubase and just excpeted that limitation which is why I have extensively archive all projects both dry and with FX to audio files so I can re-open them if I have to.

Maybe this issue is effecting me when I try to open older projects from Cubase 6,7 on Cubase 8.52?
Maybe that’s the issue I’m getting? Although I’m getting a complete crash of Cubase!

A little bump on this, for some news about possible fix ! :wink:

Cannot mixing anymore ! :frowning:

In case you didn’t see this:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/vst-plugin-loading-limitation-on-windows-3852.html

This is unlikely to be fixed in a short time, being a matter of software architecture and having various parties involved. I can only recommend to use less UAD, as it looks like the limit is reached faster with those plug-ins, and move some of the unused components out of the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5\Components folder (do not move Baios, exceptiondumper, mediaservice, stepdesigner and VSTPlugManager). This will allow to load a few more plug-ins, but won’t keep you running much longer I’m afraid.

I see it now… at least its a recognised issue. I do hope though that Steinberg and all audio companies now put emphasis on the issue. I imagine this affects Nuendo too and on large film scores etc I"m sure that user base will be none too pleased either!

I logged this with Steinberg customer support earlier in the week. Does anyone actually read those support emails as its the 3rd time I didnt even get an acknowledgement for a support ticket.

Hello,

someone indeed reads the e-mails, yours have been received on the 17th around midnight, so it was still to be processed. As for the confirmation, please, check the spam folder, gmail often filters our automatic e-mails.

I will reply to it, but at this point there is not much to add to what I wrote here, the problem is known and it’s not related to any software in particular, apart from the fact that some plug-ins appear to manifest the issue much earlier than others.

Fabio didn’t mean to cause offense I know you guys are working hard…

No offense taken, sorry if it sounded that way. Possibly working too fast today, I didn’t pay too much attention to the wording. I just replied to your e-mail.

Cheers,

Thanks for the update… and hope the fix came as quick as possible…

All good thanks!

hi there

may i suggest a workaround to the steinberg programmers:

introduce a “mode” which opens a plugin in a separate windows process. i guess the newer daw “bitwig” does that, so it should work. as somewhere already mentioned, this would not exactly be good in low latency situations. but if the user can define this behaviour for each individual plugin, he is able to lower the latency for those few plugins he needs for tracking. the other great “plus” would be the thing with the stability, which is the reason the bitwig people are making this.

what do you think about this idea? let me know!

Hi, I’m happy this is now a recognised problem. Hopefully this fix comes sooner rather than later because its a real pain. Its not so bad the can’t load the plugin i just dropped a load of cash on… But when you load a project and some of the plugins don’t load after they loaded the last time you worked on that project things start becoming a real problem. I’m loosing parts of my plugin chains and mix/sound every day, really impossible to work like this. I’m going to stop using the uad in general as that seems to be the main culprate but that sucks, their an integeral part of my workflow and sound and i just spent about 2k on them after checking they were supported by Cubase… Let hope everyone pulls together and gets this sorted asap. @BRPIs this not an issue in Bitwig on Windows then?
Cheers. Ben.

Is this a new thing?

When did it start - Windows 10 or Cubase 8?

I’ve never heard this issue mentioned before, only recently.

I’m on Windows 7 using Cubase 8.52 does that mean I’m not going to have an issue, I’m not sure I do have this issue but then again I only mix with 150 or so plugins (which still seems a lot to me)

Did Cubase 7 on Windows 7 work correctly without this issue - I don’t remember it ever be mentioned.

Can someone explain the time line on this one, and what combination of Cubase and Windows is issue free?

Thanks
tmy

If it is indeed the linked library address space that is the issue, then all versions of Windows and Cubase could be affected. Some of the issues with missing GUI can have other reasons, like outdated OpenGL drivers.
At least the same reports on missing plugins are also coming in on Studio One and Protools.
That could pressure Microsoft for a speedy solution, but OTOH the daw community is a tiny one.

This one isn’t a missing GUI bug so much as a plugin silent fail refusal to load

… and according to the Steinberg news it’s Windows only.

Doh - I was going to get a Mac this time around and instead went for a high end purpose built PC.

Really this does need resolving ASAP - I know I’m about to state the obvious but 100% accurate mix recall is the number one thing DAW has over analog desks and outboard.

Having even 0.001% of doubt over a mix recalling accurately in a DAW makes mixing untenable.

Can I test my sert up by making a template with the same WAV file on a duplicated track with all 8 slots filled up eith plugins (mixture UAD, Slate, Fabfilter, Powercore (bridged) until I reach say 180 then recall the project and see if all the slots are filled or is the problem I will SEE the slots filled with the GUI but the plugin will not be active?

I’m trying to fully understand the issue here.

no you gonna have empty insert slot.

I think everyone is trying to fully understand it - but in laymans so far the presumption is:

… depending on how many C runtime libraries have be instantiated in a running system the limit on this means it cannot be passed. For me in working terms this has meant that projects that had plugins loaded ok while working on them came back when reloaded with some plugins not loaded - usually my reverbs - or at least their the easiest ones to notice are immediately missing. Even worse, they are simply missing from the insert slots with no indication of what the plugin you were using was never mind the settings.

Now when you are mixing and reach that limit point when you try to bring in a further plugin that is trying to statically load a .dll library it just silently does nothing. If you go back over your projet and unload non active plugins or reverbs that your not using you might buy yourself a few further plugin instantiations.

However the limit is met relatively quickly when mixing in the box and particularly with UAD plugins

The reason why this has only reared its head in the past 6 months is the mysterious part !

OK that helps thanks.

I’ve made a test project with a loop and 8 slots filled so that it’s obvious looking at 24 tracks (duplicated the first track)

With 192 plugins (8 x 24) A mixture of UAD, Powercore (built in VST Bridge) FabFilter, Slate Digital etc I am able to recall every slot without ever loosing a plugin.

I can live with 192 plugins for mixing as I always turn VI’s to audio before I mix.

I’m on Windows 7 64 Bit SP1 and Cubase 64 Bit 8.52

I must have the issue but I’m hoping on my system it’s a higher plugin count than I will ever get to!

Still clearly not a good situation.