busy mix most plugins will no longer load

This has been happening a lot in Cubase 8.5

Certain mixes I’ve been working on come to a point where you can try to load a plugin into an insert and it just doesnt load - silent fail. The wierd thing is certain plugins WILL load at this point and some wont. I’ve found that Cubase stock plugins generally will. My Waves 2500 Compressor will but most other waves will not No UAD plugins will load. No Lexicon reverb native plugins will load.

very strange and really inhibits getting the job done!

This seems to be an ongoing issue with both Waves and UAD plugs…You do see people say it happens with other plugs but I think one of these is usually the root causeaand then it may take other plugs with it. It’s somehow related to graphics if I remember correctly.

EDIT: This may help Solution to Waves plug-ins crashing DAW after 32 instances - YouTube

Cubase is not crashing. It just does nothing when I try to load the plugin. Restarts of the program or the entire computer isnt helping the issue. At least not with the present mix.

I don’t think it’s a Cubase related problem.
People are having the same problems in Reaper, protools and Sonar

Seems to be happening lots and lots now. I wonder has a recent Windows 10 autoupdate done something? If this is happening to anyone else are you running Windows 10?

Plot thickens… just tried to start a Kontakt 5 instance in the Instruments panel as a Rack instrument and it also silently fails. Where is there a cubase crash log that might be recording information in the background?

On your busy projects how much memory has been used?

My last machine had 12 gigs of ram and I was having the same issues which were the result of running out of memory. Since my new machine has 32 gig of ram I no longer have the problem.

Current project that did this has 6.6gb out of 16gb used according to Tast Manager.

My UAD plugins are the worst. Cant load most of them and I have an Octo and a Quad running at 47% on this song

Which UAD plugins can you load?

UAD is working fine here.

Could this be a graphics card issue? Have you updated the drivers?

Updated the whole shebang. No change. Went back to an affected project this morning. Tried to load Dreamverb plate 140 EMT 250 but also Waves H verb, Softube TSAR etc etc… the only one that would come up is my ReLab 480 that I tried so had to replace it in the mix with that.

Starting to think this issue is because I’m going between PC and MAC with projects. Might there be internal wierdness? I think all affected projects have been opened on both platforms but need to work onward to figure out exactly… anyone experience that?

Almost certain at this stage this was as a result of me opening the offending projects on Cubase on my MacBook Pro and also my Windows 10 setup at the studio. There must be some sort of project file corruption behind the scenes. Havent seen it happen on projects that were only opened on Windows 10 ( I was taking projects home to do editing on the MAC at home… cant do that now!)

“Almost certain at this stage this was as a result of me opening the offending projects on Cubase on my MacBook Pro and also my Windows 10 setup at the studio. There must be some sort of project file corruption behind the scenes. Havent seen it happen on projects that were only opened on Windows 10 ( I was taking projects home to do editing on the MAC at home… cant do that now!)”

Same problem here. Mostly UAD and Slate for me and my system. I have had few if any problems with Waves. I use Cubase 8.5, Windows 7, and MOTU sound card. In contact with Steinberg Help Support, but no solutions yet.

Not my Win system (32gb ram) nor my UAD card are stressed in anyway on the songs files in question. Still plenty of CPU’s to use on both, but it just will not let me load in the majority of my plugins, this is not to say all will not run. There are a few plugins that will still load. Not that those are the ones I need to complete the mix.

Anyone else find a definitive reason for this problem they want to share. Thank…

Unless you can find anyone without UAD who has this issue then I would say it’s definitively UAD.

I have not moved to Windows 10 because of reported issues with UAD.

I am inclined to believe UAD may have something to do with it. I would need to spend hours moving dills around in explorer to find the offending plugin, if it’s even possible to find the problem. And worse, if I do determine it is UAD for example, what then, just don’t use $10K worth of hardware and software because it will not play nice with Cubase. For the most part, it is the UAD plugins that are effected during these problems. But, I do not use Win 10 or Mac anything. I have always been on Windows 7. When I open songs I mixed from weeks or months back, a number of plugins are missing from the mix and I can not reload them. I guess I will put in a shout out to UA and see if it they have any answers.

I’ve got two UAD cards and I have no such problem.

…not yet anyway!

Must be your 340Ghz processor :laughing:

They did tell the guy in the other thread that they would look into it…certainly worth making them aware that more people have the issue though.

I’m convinced this is got to do with Delay compensation. Whenever the problem occurs on projects the plugins cubase WILL let me load are either its own stock plugins or ones that are low on latency such as UAD Cambridge or Waves Api 2500. These usually WILL load when I’m having the issue but anything like C6 or Waves LMB or UAD Thermionic or anything like API Vision or Neve 1073 or Plate 140 will not load at that point in the project.

So very similar situation here. Waves and UAD. One thing I have found is that when the Constrain Delay Compensation button is engaged plugs gray out and you can’t load more plugs. If your project is saved with it on then it may not load the plugs when you open that project. Never had this happen until Cubase 8.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Dennis