C6 shutdown issue

Hi,
I’m running64 bit Cubase6 on Win7 with 16Gig RAM.
If I shutdown Cubase, or have to force it to shutdown (Ending the Cubase6.exe process in Task Manager), I have to reboot the computer to get it to load again.
Is there another process I have to kill that may be still running?

Also, when I try to start Halion Sonic SE, it just hangs up Cubase. Any thoughts?
I’ve used other VST instruments like LoopMash and Superior Drummer just fine.

I wanted to post that in the VST Forum, but for some reason, I don’t see the New Topic option.

Just to add…
I loaded 6.0.4, no change.
And before I tried loading HS SE again, I test everything else under ‘synth’ and they all loaded fine…

I think I resolved the HS SE issue.
I was looking at reasons why I get random small ‘hiccups’ with my MR816 in the Hardware Forum…
I bumped the buffer size of the MR up a little, I chanaged the Windows power settings to ‘performance’ and checked ‘Direct Monitoring’ in the ASIO set up for the MR (though that wasn’t to fix the drop out issue)…
Just tried adding the HS SE to a project and it now works…not sure the tie in to the above, but something helped it along…
But I still have the C6 shutdown issue…if I shut it down, I have to do a system reboot to get it to start again…

Why not use “Steinberg Audio Power” setting in Device Setup. Then you can have Windows on the less hungry settings when Cubase isn’t running.

As far as your crashes go, there are several reports of these but most people don’t get them. I’ve never had the problem but a lot of the time it seems to be plugins. Try disabling any 3rd party stuff and see where that leaves you. Also disable any 32-bit stuff if you’re running 64. Maybe that will narrow things down.

Cheers,
C

I will chime in to say I’ve seen this problem sometimes as well, but not frequently. When Cubase does crash or refuse to shut down properly, I can’t kill it in the task manager.

I suspect that it has something to do with dereferencing a bridged plugin. I haven’t tried this, but perhaps killing the bridged process first might allow you to kill Cubase. Nevertheless, the best thing would be to find what plugins seem to cause Cubase to hang/crash like this and report them to both the plugin manufacturer and Steinberg. If you’re using jBridge and you find the plugin is a 32bit bridged plugin, J is very responsive.

I set the Windows power settings based on a suggestions from a thread about occasional dropouts when using the MR816.

Not exactly the same as my issue, so maybe I should have used a different thread title…
My C6 shutsdown fine, but once its shutdown, I have to reboot the computer to bring it back up…
Once it’s shutdown and I click to start it, the Cubase process will be in Task Manager, but the program doesn’t start again…
I’ll just have to play around with killing processes to see what’s related…

Ah, sorry - didn’t read your op thoroughly enough.

The problem you have is definitely weird.

My C6 shutsdown fine…”

is Cubase, or any of the related processes, like SYNSOPOS.exe as one example, still running? Have you tried trashing your prefs?