C8 and OSX El Capitan

Seeing as OSX El Capitan is going to be a mandatory update (at least mandatory for my needs); do any of you Steinberg insiders know if OSX El Capitan will be compatible with C8 on September 30?
Thanks

Hi I havent tried cubase 8 pro, but I have installed El capitan with cubase 8 elements, on my office mac, and everything works the same way as before on this system. Steinberg are not supporting El Capitan officially yet, so if you dont have a test mac, maybe wait more. But, it seems to work normally here. (cubase elements 8.0.3, with mostly free plugins)

You’ll be the guinea pig here as Steiny hasn’t weighed in - let us know. Curiously, what applications are forcing you into this OSX now?

I read the new feature list. Just rubbish by my opinion. Maybe there is small chance that the metal graphic feature could be used, I stick with Maverics until I buy new hardware or forced by some software vendor.

I am no insider, but have been running 8 Pro (8.0.30) with 10.11.1 (15B17c) for the last few days without any problem so far.

There were some initial changes required with my system as the existing audio interface had to be changed in Device Setup to the Auto Agg device (which includes the interface anyway) to allow audio.
Sample rate also seemed to auto set itself to the highest setting available for my interface but a simple change fixed that too. Feedback was sent to Apple on these points and who knows it may even have been read.

To be honest I have to say apart from the above points there is no difference I have yet to notice and that includes overall performance which without bench testing seems identical to Mavericks.

I do understand from a another thread - any one running el capitan ? - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums that Steinberg must be testing themselves too, but as always the best advice must be leave well alone for now if your system is mission critical!

…from a another thread - viewtopic.php?f=198&t=82432 that Steinberg must be testing themselves too…

Good info, I’m a huge iOS 9 user and some of the apps (specifically Notes) require the Mac to have the El Capitan update in order to utilize those much needed new features.

Aloha and +1

‘Inquiring minds’ want to know. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

TIA

{‘-’}

Thus far: The much improved notes app (necessary), call out cursor, pinned sites and maps. None of these things will stop me from using C8 as my goto DAW but they are new features I’m looking forward to none the less.

Personally, I wish I could set my system up with bootcamp and use the Windows partition exclusively for Music, then I wouldn’t even be concerned about updates; but I use an Apogee interface and we know how that one goes… :frowning:

There is a very easy and pretty safe way to test every new OS and compatibility with all software. It “only” requires an extra disc.

1. Copy the system disc to the extra disc. (must have at least the capacity of the system disc)
  2. Either physically switch discs or set the extra disc as the startup system disc.
  3. Upgrade the OS on the extra disc (now servings as system disc)
  4. Test

If everything is ok then just continue, if not, detach the extra disc and use the old disc as system disc again. (Store projects during test on a different disc so you don’t lose projects if you have to revert).

Great advice!

The ‘old school’ version of this procedure (if you don’t have an extra disc) is to ‘partition’ your existing hard drive
and then install and ‘test’ on that partition.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

There are serious compatibility problems with OS X 10.11.
The official statement can be read here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/important-information-regarding-os-x-1011-3359.html

There are serious compatibility problems with OS X 10.11.
The official statement can be read here: > http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeven > … -3359.html

Dang!
Thanks Felipe Garcia. I’ll hold out until October 23, but I’m not sure I can hold out much longer than that.

I wonder if there is a way to get these wonderful Apogee interfaces working on Windows (w/o using PT)…any ideas?? :question:

Looks like, we are not the only one recommending not to update: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/4431/os-x-10.11-el-capitan-compatibility-news/
It’s always a smart move to wait with OS upgrades no matter if it’s Windows or Mac OS X.

A few issues on some Focusrite products too -

http://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/are-focusrite-products-compatible-with-el-capitan

And here: 5 Reasons Musicians, Producers and DJs Should Avoid Updating to OS X 1 : Ask.Audio

Also getting no audio running Cubase 8 v8.0.30 with an Apogee Duet 2, running the latest Apogee Drivers. The Duet is working fine with every other application I’ve tried on it.

hello!

i have the same audio card, but i was scared so i didn’t update the OS.
Did you solve the issue?

Next Friday (10/23) Steinberg will let us know where things stand; until then we will just have to hold tight. I am also an Apogee user that’s excited to update OSX.

Hi all,

After most music software companies gave the green light for El Capitan after recent updates, and everything else was working for me (Ableton and plug-ins), I decided to update. Without testing Cubase. Bad idea.

Sternberg and many audio card manufacturers are saying not to update yet, but you can still run your projects in 44.1k or 48k. I had problems even with this. My Cubase projects are in 96k. I downsampled to 48k and they still would not play on either a Komplete Audio 6 or a Saffire 6.

On my Powerbook, Cubase plays fine on the built in sound card. So I tried creating an Aggregate Sound Device using the built in sound card and my KA 6. Bingo. I haven’t fully tested it, but it seems to be working fine outputting via the KA6, and even at 96k. I hope this helps some of us at least continue working for now.