[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Shall I say it?
ok, don’t upgrade your system for at least 6 months after new software comes out, UNLESS it’s a patch.

Steinberg, and all other software companies, EXPECT that some errors will slip through their rigorous testing system. We Mojavians just happen to be the unlucky ones THIS time.

By gosh, even Apple products have had bugs from time to time.

And a Happy New Year! sing it with me…

I am experiencing something not as bad as those with MacOS in the PC Windows 10 v 1903, CB 10.5 version.
I started noticing after updating to it that my mouse becomes unresponsive often when navigating and editing and it takes a while to become responsive again.
I thought it was the batteries, wireless mouse, or the proximity of the sensor, but it still happens with new batteries, etc.
Then I noticed that if I go to for example Steinberg.net to research the manual while Cubase is open the same thing happens, gotta wait to navigate the manual…?
It happens as I am writing this comment…gotta wait to get the mouse working…
I wonder it is is related???

Couple of weeks with 10.5…here are more bugs:
So a certain save file on my project wont load and will crash cubase 10.5 every time i loads it.
The file is fine and works like a charm on cubase 10, none of the plugins are troublesome, all legit and updated, no huge cpu or ram overload on my brand new i mac pro.
In order to make it load i need to first load an older save file from the project then close it, then open the troublesome one and then it loads.

Graphics are going berserk: when i drag an audio segment i suddenly get an entire red screen (my graphic card is F i n e).
When scrolling up and down: the tracks are jumping all around the screen and mix with each other!
I captured a movie portraying this issue but alas…i cant upload it here.

The play line (the one moving from left to right) sometimes just disappears–>then i stop–>play again—>appears.

Using the comp tool to mark a segment while pressing cmd+z results un an immediate crash of cubase (also happend on 10 pro)

Steinberg: have you ever played with the CRAZY notion of reimbursing your clients that paid good money over the years, and upgraded cubase every year (me from cubase 4 up to now), and are making a living from sound, and livelihoods are suffering delays on their deadlines just because you started A tick tock - intel/apple approach to your products and CAN’T seem to make your software keep up with your money lust?

It’s a shame that Steinberg is publishing a paid beta for such dedicated users.
I Learned my lessons,I’m not upgrading anymore …
and I’ve already started moving to Ableton …
I bought the full version of Ableton and all my new projects is there, I believe that within a few months, I will be completely finished with old projects at Cubase , Bye Steinberg.
So sad story…

I feel the same, but with Studio One.

Glad I found this threat.
I’m having the same spinning ball issue.

I love 10.5 and the new look and features. Overall feels like a great update. That spinning ball issue happens to me about every hour and a Cubase restart seems to fix it.
Lets hope we’ll get an update soon.

Amen to that.
I’ll be moving to logic soon.

I thought I had got away with it and now it’s really starting to impact on my work… it’s causing some strange behaviour with MACOS I find sometimes as well… what a crock!

New cheese-grater MacPro’s arrived at the studio and we’re having the same issues on them. So this definitely is not a hardware specific thing.
This upcoming update needs to be released yesterday.

those cheese-graters are on Catalina, right?

Besides spinning ball I’m experiencing problems with a sampler track switching to continious mode by itself. I can’t work properly. This product is absolutely useless as for now.

Correct, mine is on Catalina. One of the guys in the facility has downgraded to Mojave though for some compatibility reasons and he was saying earlier that 10.5 doesn’t work properly on it.

So I guess the problem is both Mojave and Catalina and maybe even previous Mac OS’s.

I can confirm the issue is on both Catalina and Mojave.

I have the same problem
I just installed the new Cubase Artist 10.5 version on mac Mojave, spinning beach-ball for almost every thing I select

waiting steinberg patch - impossible to work now :confused:

OS X, all versions then?

It would seem most people using software as deep as Cubase would likely also have already upgraded to Mojave or Catalina, and perhaps we just aren’t hearing from those on High Sierra, etc.

Patiently waiting for the upgrade. I can work for a few hours before the beachball… but boy when it comes, it’s really hard to miss. :slight_smile:

I upgraded on the first day and I regret so bad about it. I got a new ssd driver and decided to do a clean install. Lost one day re-installing all the plugins… The next days were a nightmare… All kind of bugs happened to me… Some plugins went black, some went to blacklist, extremely slow, GUI issues and I gave up and re-installed the 10 and I’m using since. When they released that fake fix, I’ve tried again and got the same issues.

Ive tried to switch to Ableton in the past with no success, but this time, I will just do it. It’s sad how Steinberg doesn’t give a poop for us… A paid upgrade with pretty much nothing new and you have to deal with all the bugs and wait for them for 3 months to get a fix for something that should’t be released in first place. Some friends told me to switch to PC… WTF… Why would I witch just to use a DAW?

I also travel a lot and you can’t just use your license in two different computers without that dongle, and since I have a friend who lost his dongle and he had to buy a new license, I have two dongles and two licenses. Time to move on…

Experiencing this issue as well. I noticed that restarting helps but the slowdown keeps happening at random. Cubase 10.5 is currently unstable and not reliable. Really looking forward to a more stable update.
Cheers!

Correct. I had High Sierra on my trash can MacPro which ran v10 perfectly, but when updating to 10.5, Cubase became unusable on it. Steinberg told me that HighSierra wasn’t supported for 10.5 and Mojave was the oldest version supported. I found that very strange as this is a .5 update, not an entirely new version. So I updated to Mojave even though I really didn’t want to, but the problem still persists. And now I’m on a new machine entirely with Catalina and no improvement at all. So its most definitely not a OS problem.

Maybe it’s a forced rest function.
In order to avoid irreversible damage to eyes and brain caused by continuous work.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
By the way
Can I know the configuration of your 2019 Mac Pro?