[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

Sorry to hear you are all having similar issues. I should definitely stay away from unusable Cubase 10.5. So 10.0.50 still has bugs and they release this…
Seriously Steinberg…

Im sure that they have seen us. However, im not sure if it will get fixed in 10.5.10. If I remember it correctly, the first maintenance release of 10.0 was build about the same time as 10.0 was released. I guess due to they want it released before christmas and they have ha month of testing. (Dont blame me, this issue is so bad that they should do a 10.5.01 without full test scope…) But it also seems so common that they might have known the issue for a long period and has a fix for the december release.

I hate to be here searching for a solution for my newly upgraded Cubase 10.5 that is hanging up with the “swirling beachball infinity”, while Im here to try my best to make MUSIC with the Greatest DAW ever created. . . Yes, that’s right CUBASE !

A YouTube volger said that he was having “this” trouble with Cubase 10.5…at the very end of his video. that was until he updated to the latest mac os, and Security update…
I tried this… and thought it was working fine, but then after I saved a newly started project in Cubase 10.5, and tried to open it again moments later, the Dreaded beach-ball swirling infinity began and continued, and paused for a second, then continued, and paused for a second and continued again, & again.
The only way to stop it was to hold down keys " Command-Option Escape" by way of the task manager to stop the non responding Cubase program.

Steinberg has always been a value product, in 2019 we celebrated the Birth/Anniversary of the programers who started it all, and this last quarter its a little disappointing that someone out there considers it okay to release an update software without supplying its supporters some current release notes about matching the system components and software that it has been tested and approved for use with.

If this can help debug the Cubase 10.5 beach ball hangups, here’s what I have noticed on my MAC OS MOJAVE version 10.14.6 system.

1. When the Beachball appears, the midi input meters are stuck frozen high in the midi input display meter.
  2. With the midi keyboard off ( Panorama T6) those same newly saved projects can be reopened without the beach ball hang-ups.
  3. Midi channels are set to all midi In,
  4. Panorama T6 software and firmware was reinstalled late last night for testing.
  5. Maschine mk3 was firmware updated last night as well for testing.

Question:

1. Can dumping the preferences Cure this beach ball infinity issue, or is there something else in the vast amount of forum content that may have been overlooked…?
  2. Do I need to update the UAD2 interface to work with this new version of Cubase 10.5 ?
  3. It seems to have a co-relation to the Panorama T6 keyboard controller, (midi randomly spikes in the midi display meter, then Beach-Ball appears) and not so much Maschine MK3… What System description has this Cubase 10.5 version been tested with, If this is unknown , then how can even one user match the prescribed specs be it hardware or software for use of this new software?

Steinberg staff are Great, but by informing its users in this way would be a safe way from these forum misguided frustrations.
Greg Ondu Please, we need a video… Thankyou.

Im looking for anything in the Cubase 10.5 Forum that reads [Solved].
Cheers to anyone who has found a definitive solution for these occurrences .
Thanks For Reading and staying positive , the Force is with you.

I have the exact same issues. I have updated the os to 10.14.6 plus security. Updated all 3rd party plugins. Checked for known issues with NI and followed those suggestions (turn off memory). I have deleted prefs and started from scratch. Matched all monitor resolutions. Up dated hardware firmware for Apollo x8 and MOTU midi time piece. Turned off all nonessential mac tasks. Spotlight. Siri. Font smoothing. Removed VST’s. Made sure all VST’s are 64 bit. Shut down. Restarted. I have sent videos of what’s been happening to support.

So you know I don’t think it’s hardware specific. If I double click several time on the main editor page spinning dial stops and I can enter another function like play then spinning starts again.

Tech support has been doing their best but no answers yet.
I am hoping to not lose another week of work over this.
I tried going back to 10.0 as I saved the preferences but that just crashes on start up now. So…ya.

Cubase 10.5 on Mojave: most of the time the beachball!

Going back to 10.0…

+1

I found that every plugin with OpenGL graphics has very high glitches …

For me, this is happening after working with 10.5 for an hour or two after I open the project… so something like a memory leak or where something is amassing or creating lots of data.

I did notice something interesting though, which may or may not be related. Using a plug-in that has an adaptive mode, such as something like Izotope RX causes a non-stop stream (like every 0.25 seconds) of history events to be generated in the mixer window. If the undo is unlimited, I wonder if this is generating an extremely large file that would cause Cubase to display the beachball, and slowly sputter to a crash.

So tried a few more things after going to the Mac forums as well.

SYTEM PREFS SECURITY:
Allow Cubase 10.5 to use Mic (Unchecked Cubase 10.0 access to mic)
Allow Cubase to use Synsopos. (This shows Cubase 10.0 can’t change)
Allow Cubase contacts?? Weird
Allowed Cubase “Accessibility” (other audio apps such as UAD console are here already)
Ditched all the VST related prefs again.

So now I don’t “seem” to be getting beach ball, but, play head disappears. (Comes back if I click on desk top and back)
If play head goes through midi editor window totally slows down. Works fine through audio editor window.
I also did notice that when opening a midi editor window would start the ball.
Not now but I have had hours of it working before thinking I had solved it only to discover I had not.

I am also wondering if this is a USB C monitor issue. Lots on line about Displaylink. I matched all monitor rez. Running 3.

some of this might help.
Maybe not.
This is a serious vooDoo problem.

I’m having the same problem. Plug-in GUIs freezing on 10.14.6.

Same problems here. Hope it gets fixed soon.

I’m having the exact same issue, and it’s a major problem. It happens to me most often when soloing a track – as soon as I un-solo it then everything is fine again. I’m back on 10.0.4 again until this is fixed.

Ok. I was wrong. Nothing I have done has made any difference. It works then doesn’t. Now it just crashes on launch. I suspect waves but still, when the beach ball of death was spinning I had pulled all 3rd party VST’s. I am willing to wager that every one here has Cubase 10.5 on Mac OS 10.14.3/6/.6+. Perhaps we share plug ins. NI. Isotope. Waves etc but after that every one has different hardware, displays, drives, USB C devices, HDMI, USB 2, midi interfaces and settings and on and on. The common piece that every ones looking for can’t be found. I fear this is all under the hood.

Every work around every one has found fails after a few hours.

Steinberg. We need some help here. This is a real problem. I have gone back to 10. Seems fine. Missing the track colors and video export but I guess I’ll have to wait.

Hi Malcolm,

I think you’re right, it seems impossible to tie this to a particular piece of Third-party software, hardware, or configuration. We just have to wait for a fix. Let’s hope it’s soon.

R

+1

Same here

I think you’re right, it seems impossible to tie this to a particular piece of Third-party software, hardware, or configuration. We just have to wait for a fix. Let’s hope it’s soon.

R
[/quote]

I have been speaking with them by phone and email. But as you know because you discover a solution that lasts for 4 hours I keep telling I think I have solved so now they probably think I’m crazy. Hoping this thread adds some credibility to this.

+1 same here. 10.0.40 runs smooth with no problems at all.

I went back to 10.0. Works fantastic. Firs time I’ve been able to go more than a few hours for the last week and half.

Anyone from Steinberg to say something about this ? any words…

+1 Same for me too running Mojave OSX
I just got finished removing Cubase entirely from my system in effort of trying to fix some other issue but also noticed that intermittently I get a spinning ball on every mouse click command and other times I simply can’t even use the project because I get the wait indicator like every 5 to 10 seconds.

Removing and re-installing Cubase does nothing to resolve the issue so save yourself the effort. :frowning:

Will probably roll back like others have suggested so I can continue to work

My latest thought is because I have tried every conceivable combination of “on and off” the big new thing in 10.5 is export video. We have had replace audio in video but this is export video. I keep having this suspicion that this is video/GUI/video card related. I have three monitors and if I just stay on one the problem doesn’t happen as quickly as soon as I open a Chanel or especially a midi editor window every Thing breaks. Then, if I double click 20 times in an empty spot on the main editor the spinning dial stops.

I have deep respect for the Steinberg team but seriously, any day now on a chime in. I haven’t even heard back from tech support.