Can I Import A Notion6 Score Into Dorico...

…without much trouble? I originally imported it from Crescendo into Notion6 and didn’t have much trouble correcting the various quirks in notation that occurred. Now I am not satisfied with Notion6’s orchestral sound. I’d like to get the professional sound of Cubase in my Piano Concerto No 2 but using a DAW is a totally new animal to me. I’ve always worked with notation software. I don’t think I could master Cubase effectively. I’ve hear the Dorico sound library is much superior to Notion6. Is it? One other question: why hasn’t anyone successfully married a notation software to the great sound of a Cubase or Pro Tools or Logic or any one of a dozen other great sounding DAW’s which unfortunately operate on a totally different platform from notation? :confused:

Have you heard of Note Performer? I hadn’t looked into it until yesterday and I’m impressed with what it can do out of the box. If you’ve never used a DAW before and Note Performer isn’t up to what you want, then prepare for a steep learning curve. Dorico is a more superior package than Notion (I have both) as Cubase is to Studio One 4, but I actually prefer Studio One 4 as it has everything I need (and with a few more ‘film editing facilities’ be quite sufficient) whereas Cubase has become for me too bloated and difficult to navigate. I think the real reason to consider the gains made when using a DAW versus the inordinate amount of time it will consume to get there, is if you are combining real audio sounds with sounds made from sampled instruments.
I’ve been working on trying to get Dorico to reproduce what I recorded in a DAW during this ‘enforced stay at home period’ (that has psychologically been termed ‘lockdown’ which is what unruly convicted criminals do in prison - notice ‘social distancing’ …language used to tear the fabric of society apart … but I digress). I’m just editing a video to show what I’ve achieved, but as I said, it’s whether the time taking to achieve it has any real gains from taking the composition from say 90% to 98% sounding ‘authentic’.

The thing is, Cubase doesn’t have “a professional sound” any more than buying a Stradivarius would make a beginner violin student have a “professional sound”. The sound quality depends entirely on the sample libraries you use, and how well you use them.

As the other answer says, NotePerformer is probably the best option for getting a pretty realistic “performance” with no effort, except for putting dynamics and articulation marks etc in the score itself.

IMO NotePerformer will certainly sound a lot better than the bundled HALion samples you get “free” with Dorico, unless you put in some effort to change the default playback options for the HALion library - and it’s hard to find a good tutorial which tells a beginner what they need to change to get better playback.

You’ll need to export from Notion as MusicXML, and then import that into Dorico.

They have. It’s called Dorico. You should check it out.

If you visit the Note Performer site, they direct you to their Soundcloud site which has numerous examples. They also talk about the fantastic demos you hear on other sites. I’m thinking of getting NP so I can use it with my laptop or cut-down setup when on the move. I think the specs only need 4Gb RAM which with the ageing laptops I have might be useful. I’ve just added a thread showing playback from Dorico using external VST libraries.

Thank you, wizard, ben and Rob for your prompt and helpful responses. Three votes for Note Performer. That’s a vote of confidence for sure. I thought somebody might offer their opinion on how NP measures up to Notion6 but that’s okay. I’ll find out. I’m still trying to learn the terminology. For example I don’t know the difference application-wise between VST, sound libraries, samples, etc. I did try the Dorico free trial–for about an hour. I couldn’t get my Piano Concerto score imported in but maybe I wasn’t doing a XML as ben suggests. Maybe I should try again. I’m pretty adept at picking up notation software mechanics. I watched a couple of Pro Tools, Cubase, and maybe Logic instruction videos on Youtube for beginners and even for beginners I was thrown for a loop with endless 100-item drop down menus for a 1000 different tabs on each one. Yikes. No way could I get a handle on that for the demands my concerto requires. So until they come up with a notation software that can reproduce the sound of the Berlin Phil I 'll have to be satisfied with either NP or Dorico or Notion6 if I can’t get NP or Dorico to “perform”. I’d hire a Pro Tools or Cubase expert to do it for me if I could get the sound of a professional orchestra. Maybe I can run some questions by you good people in a while if I may after I attempt Dorico again and NP. Thanks much. I shall return.

By the way, I don’t see my thread in the English Dorico forum.

Annnnnd…unfortunately NotePerformer isn’t compatible with Notion6. So NP is out. Back to Dorico.

And I went back to Dorico and realized why I gave it up the first time: it’s like a DAW workstation and I cannot navigate how to get my score into it or if Notion6 is even compatible with it. 2 strikes, 1 more and I’m out.

3rd strike: Finale doesn’t give access to the Garritan library on a free trial. So why would a serious orchestral composer even bother with it? :confused:

Because a serious composer has a long-term commitment to the tools of the trade and realizes that, regardless of the program, there will be a learning curve and that a free demo is unlikley to display the full capabilities of the program.

In other words, a serous composer will find a way to devote the time and money necessary to acquire and master the tools of the trade.

That is not to say that everyone who wants to create music needs to devote the time and money to the craft that a serious composer would. There are lots of people who bring enjoyment to themselves and others with less commitment.

Export as MusicXML from Notion; import into Dorico.

I probably would if I were younger and had a good brain for learning quickly. Nowadays, just seeing a DAW demo on YouTube, especially someone like Guy Michelmore flying through it at warp speed sends me crawling under the bed.

I think I found a YT video that might tell me how to do this. Thanks much.

Sadly, Steinberg has eliminated the Dorico free 30-day trial.

It will be back soon. There is never a trial version immediately after an upgrade, and Dorico 3.5 was released just a week ago.

No, we’ve not eliminated it, but in the immediate days following a new version’s release, we temporarily withdraw the trial version. This is in part so that the forum and our other support channels are not swamped with questions from people coming to the trial for the first time at the moment when we see a surge of enquiries from existing paying customers who are among the early adopters on the new version. This forum has been at least twice as busy as normal in the last week, and this would be amplified further if we had already made the trial available. But the trial will be available next week, so there are only a few more days to wait. I’m sorry that instant gratification is not available this week!

The Garritan libraries bundled with Finale are very cut down versions of the paid-for libraries. A serious orchestral composer probably wouldn’t be interested in them anyway (and even the full Garritan libraries are at the low end of the market range).

But if you meant “Why would a serious orchestral composer even bother with Finale” - good question, but if you have been using it for 20 years already, your brain may not have enough spare capacity to learn another program (like Dorico) that is very different :slight_smile:

(The good thing about Finale is that if you started learned it 20 years ago, nothing much has changed since then. The bad thing about Finale is … exactly the same as the good thing.)

Under the File menu in Notion, it says “Export Music XML”. Under the File menu in Dorico, it says “Import XML”. No video required.

You may need several videos (or ask several questions here) about how to put your score back together again after the export and import shredded it, but that’s a different problem :slight_smile:

In fact you don’t need to “import” the MusicXML file into Dorico at all. Just open it! “Import” is intended for merging several different files into one project in Dorico.

To be more precise: open (the exported .MusicXML file) from within Dorico,
or use the right-click of your mouse and „Open with: Dorico“
If you would just double-click the .MusicXML file, it might open in a different program.

Thank you, Daniel. I’ll keep watch on the Dorico website periodically for when they reintroduce the trial.