can I quantize underlying Real-Time-MIDI-recorded data easily after the fact?

Thanks again for the vast improvements, especially the long-awaited realtime MIDI recording! I did have one question: I’m presuming that if I want the MIDI data I record to be quantized “going in” I should UN-check “preserve note positions” in Preferences->Play->Recording and the notes I enter will presumably align with whatever the “Quantization Options” are that I’ve specified (?) I ask because when I just did a test (setting Quantization ahead of time to 8th notes/no triplets and then recording a piece with eighths as the shortest duration), it appears that the starting position of the underlying MIDI (solid colored bar) and the notated position (single horizontal lines, as you know), did NOT have the same starting position and I was wondering why?:

Presuming the above “quantization of underlying MIDI data to match the quantization settings” IS supposed to happen when I uncheck “preserve note positions”), then: what happens (as is often the case!) if I choose to “preserve note positions” when recording, but afterwards want to quantize not only the displayed quantization of the notes, but also the underlying MIDI data? I was presuming that perhaps (in Play Mode) I could make sure “Played Durations” were showing, select a “played duration” note in the Piano Roll; choose “Select More” to select ALL such notes (but NOT the notated versions), and then open the “re-Quantize Window” and change the quantization there, but this doesn’t have an affect on the selected data. If there ISN’T a way to do this currently, please let me know if this is “on the list” (however you plan to easily achieve it, etc.) as it’s extremely commonly done in DAW-world (at least I’ve certainly found this to be the case with my own work)…Thanks again!

• D.D.

Not in front of my computer, but I think there’s something in the Play menu called “Reset playback overrides” which should give you what you want. There’s also a property in the properties panel, write mode, which lets you reset (or remove the playback overrides) on individual notes. IIRC the property is called Playback start position or something similar.

I THINK “Reset Playback Overrides” may be the ticket - couldn’t quite figure out how to invoke it but will keep playing with it as it seems to do what I was looking for? (thanks)…

• D.D.

I admit I have only see the videos once each and not yet read the Version History, but I’m not sure Dorico’s quantizing is intended to change the MIDI data so much as the notation thereof.

Basic summary:

• All notes you record via MIDI or import via a MIDI file in 2.2 onwards will remember its position relative to its quantized displayed position
  • The ‘Preserve Note Positions’ preference controls whether this position is also used during playback (maybe the name is slightly misleading, now that the feature is more full implemented)
    – If this is on then this means it will play back as you recorded it
    – If this is off then this means it will play back as notated
  • Even if this option is off, you can still use the re-quantize function, as the original timing data is still stored in the note.
  • If the option is on then re-quantize won’t change what you hear
  • Because it only stores offsets from the quantized position it means that if you copy and paste elsewhere then it should retain the rhythmic feel of the original.
  • If you want to remove these timing variations then select the notes and choose Play > Reset Playback Overrides’, and it will now play back as notated.
  • Preserve note velocities will use the velocities you recorded, which means that dynamics in the score will be ignored.

The main 2 use cases:

• If you use MIDI recording just as a means of getting notes into the score, you probably want ‘Preserve note positions’ and ‘Preserve note velocities’ off
  • If you use MIDI recording to capture a performance and you want to hear the same timing and dynamics during playback then set the Preserve options to on.
1 Like

Thanks so much for this clear explanation! Might be nice (down the line) to have the option of greater control over the quantization of the underlying MIDI data (separate from notation) (vs. just having the option of it either being the “raw” performance or of it matching the notated data) - things such as % quantize, etc. But I can definitely work with this (though will also look forward to the ability to edit individual note velocities in the piano roll hopefully in the near future). Thanks again for all of the tremendous work!

• D.D.
1 Like

Absolutely. All options are open for future versions. I did do a lot of testing with the midi files you sent me, so hopefully it should work well for you.

Just imported some MIDI from Logic and the difference is night and day. Also love being able to set an import quantization rhythmic value, but them easily afterwards select a group of notes and re-quantize them differently. So happy this is now part of Dorico.

• D.D.
  • If you use MIDI recording just as a means of getting notes into the score, you probably want ‘Preserve note positions’ and ‘Preserve note velocities’ off
  • If you use MIDI recording to capture a performance and you want to hear the same timing and dynamics during playback then set the Preserve options to on.

In my Preferences i have deselect both options, but when I play the score (and if I see play mode) the sound is not quantize…

what am I doing wrong?

“- If you want to remove these timing variations then select the notes and choose Play > Reset Playback Overrides’, and it will now play back as notated.”

Thank you!!! i try it!

Great!!! Thank you very much!

I wanted to say how much I’m enjoying the improved MIDI importing and re-quantizing settings - incredible help to my workflow (so much thanks to the Dorico team as always!)
D.D.

hi ! late to this thgo into read, but could someone please show me how to find ‘reset playback overrides’ with screenshots, if possible ? ( i’m in dorico 4 and don’t see it when i go into ‘preferences - play’ ) thanks so much !

It’s in the PLAY MENU :slight_smile: