Can I send internal midi (from an event) to the input of another track

Hello, is it possible for scaler to recieve the midi that is playing in my other track ?

Thanks

For MIDI Tracks, yes. You can use MIDI Sends to broadcast to more than one instrument or MIDI port/channel (Up to four inserts per track, plus the main output, for a total of five).

For Instrument Tracks, not that I am aware of. At least not ‘directly’.

If you know you’ll be doing a lot of part routing/sharing, it might be better to host your plugin as a ‘rack’ instrument, and use MIDI tracks instead of instrument tracks (an exception being if you intend to export MIDIloops that can be browsed and instantly auditioned in MediaBay. In that case, host the plugin as an instrument track, and even if you leave it empty of parts…you can group it up with MIDI tracks on the MIDIloop export).

If you’d like some parts to echo to multiple instruments/channels/ports, move them to a MIDI track. You can also use MIDI transformers if you’d like to filter out specific events/channels/notes/ranges/project-ranges [by bars, beats, time]/etc. on a per track basis. If you require more extra real time MIDI Transformers, you can add them as MIDI Inserts. MIDI Sends can also have transformers applied before events are forwarded.

In addition to using MIDI Transformers to be ‘selective’ about what sorts of events to pass through a MIDI Send, you can also use automation tracks to do things like mute/unmute/enable/disable the sends at very specific times.

It’s also possible to build MIDI remote triggers to toggle those sends on/off. That endeavor is worthy of a separate thread, as there are ‘legacy’ methods, and ‘newer ways’ introduced in Cubendo 12.

Grouping tracks into folders can be helpful if you need multiple tracks and track types. It makes it simple to mute/solo/etc. everything in the folder with a single click.

If you like making MIDIloops, it’s not a problem to select a mix of MIDI and Instrument Tracks and export them in that format…hence importing them into projects at a later time preserves your plugins/settings, and can be instantly auditioned in MediaBay.

Another thing that can help: If you are on PC,install some third party Virtual Port drivers. Personally I like and use loopMIDI. If you’re on a Mac Virtual Ports can be established via Core Audio in the Mac OS.

Having some virtual ports at hand can give you more possibilities in terms of ‘looping’ MIDI signals back into other tracks and such. With a good set of Virtual Ports on hand, you can use empty MIDI tracks to do all sorts of internal routing/filtering/transforming. Just be careful not to accidentally create an endless feedback loop.

1 Like

P.S.

For percussion tracks, check out the drum mapping abilities of Cubase.

If you divert a track through a drum map, it’s possible (start with a generic general MIDI map) to divert individual kit pieces (MIDI Notes) to any channel/plugin/port you like. You can even key in real time transpositions and such.

With a bit of creative thinking, these might also come in handy for some types of ‘non-percussive’ needs.

For percussion plugins like Groove Agent that are capable of exporting a ready-made drum kit map for Cubase…the channel and port endpoints get ‘locked’ for some reason. I’ve discovered an xml hack to get around this and unlock those fields if you ever wish to mix/match percussion plugins that support this without having to build a custom map ‘by hand’. It can save a little time, and lead to neatly scored drum tracks of which any kit piece can point to any plugin/port and channel you like :slight_smile:

Oh, I was wrong about there not being a way to do this in Instrument Tracks. It’s a trick I’d ‘forgotten’ about!

You could use shared copies.

Essentially you’d ‘repeat’ a selected part. If it’s done in shared mode then it’s essentially just a ‘ghost’ copy. Editing it in one place is mirrored anywhere in the project that these ghost parts are used.

So in theory you could apply the shared repeat. It’d be tacked onto the end of the original part as a new part on the same track. Drag it to another track/position that uses a different plugin/port/whatever. At this point, you can do edits in either track, and it is maintained in both copies. Need it on more than two tracks? Repeat it again…now all three tracks are ghosted together. Etc.

If it’s something you find yourself doing often, you could probably build a macro using project logic editors to automate the process of building repeats, and moving the new ghost version to a track above or below and snap it to the cursor (you’d set that where you want it before running the process). Bind it to a macro…and boom…quick and easy without all the ‘mousing around’.

1 Like