Can Mac users who were having GUI issues before please comment on 9.5?

I’m waiting to pay in order to see if this has been improved markedly. Can people who are on Mac – and only those who did have the problem with previous versions of C9 – tell us if this has been improved noticeably for them in 9.5? Thanks!

Hey In_Stereo,

At least for me, It’s WAYYY better than it was before. Very smooth. I was having all the graphics lag with 9.0. I even compared today both versions to see if it was a placebo effect. But it’s not. I’s very smooth. I’m using a Macbook pro 2017 (Sierra) 15inch and a Hackintosh El Capitan with GeForce GTX950. Go ahead and buy!!! And I hope it gets fixed for you too!

To be fair - this is exactly the thread I was looking for and exactly what I was just about to start a topic on.

I too want to make sure, before spending ANY more money with Steinberg, if this issue has been addressed.

Helpful to know - as I’m also running a MacBook Pro 15” 2017 and a newly built hackintosh with vega 64 on High Sierra.

Thanks for reporting – good to hear. I’m gonna bite the bullet and get the upgrade.

Definitely quicker, I am not on a Retina screen so I didn’t have the extreme issues others had, but was still way slower than C 8 on 10.9.5 with all versions of 9 on Sierra. 9.5 for me a significant improvement.

I started a different post asking the same thing before I noticed this one. I have basically the same set up as the OP. I jumped ship as Cubase was unusable for me. Studio-One has been pretty good so far but I’d like to be able to use Cubase again. Hoping for more comments. I’ll buy it and check myself if I must but would love to hear from anyone else who tried. Thanks

way better - very good now.

No problem of any kind on my retina mac. It works perfect

It looks like it’s gone here on my old OSX System, finally after so many years ! :astonished:
It runs very fast here, same performance as on PC.

I’m running it on a:

• MacPro early 2008 (MacPro3,1),
    -OSX 10.11.6
    -ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
    -24GB Ram
  • Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050

I haven’t tested it yet on my big screen yet which runs at 2560 x 1440.
If C 9.5 runs smoothly there we can consider that this old bug since SX is gone for good.
Anyone else running C9.5 at 2560 x 1440 or higher ?

I’ve been using it now for a day and a half, and it’s far better, much improved.

Sounds promising! Thanks for keeping the community updated! I’ll be trying it as soon as I can and will report back here as well.

I didn’t notice an appreciable performance change. It still stutters when using Addicted Drums2 or Addicted Keys the first time they are invoked.
It may be because I am using a Mac Mini. It hasn’t stuttered anywhere else however. I will post any change in this.

A little playhead lag still at greater zoom in resolutions but very snappy compared to version 9.03.

It’s definitely better for me! A massive improvement in fact. Its not as smooth as 8.5 was on my laptop - that was perfect - but it’s totally usable now. 8.5 and 9 were terrible on my Mac Pro.

The GUI has definitely been improved… but not completely gone.

I just noticed that while editing and slicing about 13 drum tracks, the sluggish GUI issue persist. Kinda of a bummer.

Otherwise, if I don’t slice a bunch of audio regions, it works fine and way better then before.

Hope that Steinberg keeps improving the GUI department.

Very smooth on both my 27" apple TB display and on my MBPR. A job well done

It needs improvement still, but is definitely better in some ways.

There is still major jerky movement for me when zooming or locating fast in the mixer, and also there is some lag when scrolling fast through tracks in the Project window. Also, when thumbnails are enabled for a video, zooming in the Project window gets as slow as it used be again.

Just chiming in to confirm here as well that the work on this is ongoing and that some other improvements were ready before the release, but didn’t make it in time for 9.5.0.
The work done in this regard was huge, not only with actually improving GUI performance and fixing issues, but also with analysis and research.
We do believe all spots have been identified, but it was not possible to fit all in, as it is often the case you actually have to wait until another work is done and well tested before proceeding.

So yes, improvements ongoing and some more coming soon :slight_smile:

I want you to know that I very much appreciate the work that went into fixing this, and I understand that it will continue. The parts that have improved are fantastic, and were enough to enable me to come back to Cubase, so that’s awesome. Thanks for the all the work, Fabio.

Thanks for the reassurance. You just made me like CB 9.5 even more now!

Steinberg nailed it with this version, enough to keep me using CB and also make it my official main DAW.

I look forward to all of the future improvements.

Thank You!!