Changing latency while Cubase is running

Hi everybody,
I use a M-Audio FTP. I cannot change the latency - the buffer size of the sound card - if Cubase is running.
I’m forced to close Cubase, change the settings for the FTP and then reopen Cubase (using the M-audio driver as well as asio4all, it doesn’t change anything).
Is there a “trick” to change the latency without having to close Cubase ?

Setting Cubase to release ASIO in background might help.

But I think this is mostly down to the drivers…some cards allow it & others don’t.

Don’t check Release ASIO, that’s bad advice. Some soundcards can’t be adjusted with Cubase open without spitting the error.

Well my old system with a M-Audio 1010 needed the release drivers checked to be able to switch buffer sizes within cubase, would totally refuse to do it if not checked.

As did my old Audiophile 2496 (many years & driver incarnations ago) hence the suggestion.

Is there a “trick”

yeh, there 'is a trick - never use M-audio sound cards, their drivers suck. :laughing:

Hmmm, I’m not at my machine at the moment but I’ve always been able to change buffer size on my M-Audio Delta 24/96 while Cubase is running. However, iirc, this has to be done from the M Audio tray icon and not from within Cubase. This only became an issue with 64 bit Windows, something to do with the driver itself being 64 bit but the tray application being 32 bit.
In my experience M-Audio drivers are pretty rock solid.

Steve.

You can’t do this with the Ultra 8r either. You can change some parameters while Cubase is running but not buffer size, in fact that panel is greyed out in the control tray.

Interesting to read this. I thought I remembered that when I had a 32 bit OS, I could change the buffer within Cubase. Now, on 64 bit OS, I can’t. I wasn’t sure if I just remembered incorrectly.
J.L.

Oops! I thought you meant ‘running running,’ like while the project is playing. And I thought, ‘Why would anyone want to do that?’

Anyway, as other’s say, it’s all about the drivers. I don’t recall any issues changing my M-Audio Delta 44 using the little app.

M-Audio didn’t ‘suck’ until the early USB days. The 1010, 66 and 44 pci cards were solid. Most USB 1.0 and 1.1 devices were pretty inferior.

As far as releasing asio drivers in the background goes, it all depends what you want to do. It’s just another ‘switch,’ which I find useful sometimes when Windows Media or a web-browser cannot find audio and I want to go back and forth between something on video I’m using to help with something in Cubase I’m working on.

Como

Yeah – I think it’s a driver issue for Win7 64. Another thing the driver won’t support is 64 buffer size, 128 is lowest for the Ultra 8r. The 64 is there as an option but you can’t select it anymore since the 64-bit driver update last August. The M-Audio forum has threads on the issue – lots of crashes when Win7 64 first came out. It’s a nice soundcard all around, but the driver ain’t perfect.