Chord Recognition Feature Request?

If this would work across staves, that would be a really handy feature and educational tool.

1 Like

In Dorico 4 there is a new feature that will add chord symbols based on the selected music, which might be worth exploring. It is included in Dorico Pro 4 and is also meant to be included in Dorico Elements 4, though due to a misconfiguration it doesnā€™t actually work in Elements 4 at the moment: this will be fixed as soon as possible.

1 Like

As I continue to work through my studies, Dorico continues to be so useful. Itā€™s quick, amazing UX, and helps me rapidly work through exercises.

Today the teacher showed an example where he revoiced a chord because after applying a mechanical voicing it resulted in a minor 9th that was undesirable. That got me thinkingā€¦ wouldnā€™t it be great if I could make a selection (across staves) and not just recognize and generate chord symbols, but perform any kind of desired analysis, say from a plugin ecosystem or simple rule builder. I would most definitely run the script that detects minor 9ths.

This would just be one application. It would be great to be able to ā€œhuntā€ for anything you may want to quickly identify in a passage (minor 2nds between the top two voices, for example, or 3rds below a certain low register to address potential muddiness). Even just highlighting the notes and applying a temporary/analysis/annotation label would be enough. Sort of like a ā€œteacher modeā€ overlay if you will that can be toggled the way the instrument filter can be toggled.

I know this might be pushing the boundaries of Doricoā€™s original mission ā€” which we all know is engraving ā€” but the fact remains that Dorcio is so useful in the learning context that addressing some learning features might make market sense now that Dorico has delivered on itā€™s original promise.

As a student, I certainly have my fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

100% thumbs up from me!

I agree. Dorico is already able to identify chords but only within a single staff. I do a lot of sax quartet arranging with bass and drum parts and it would be awesome to be able to generate chord symbols based on all four parts. Iā€™ve been doing some of my initial writing in StaffPad, on the iPad which has that feature but it would be great to have that right inside Dorico.

@dspreadbury mentions above, this is now possible in Dorico 4. Chord Recognition Feature Request? - #22 by dspreadbury

Generating chord symbols from selected notes is in the manual now, here.

1 Like

Not true. It can identify chords across the whole score.

It does identify across the whole score and itā€™s very useful. Assign a shortcut for quick access. Iā€™d been looking for this capability for ages, and there it was, right under my nose!

It took a while to figure out the key words to search the help. For anyone else looking, in Dorico 5:
Edit > Notations > Chord Symbols and Diagrams > Generate Chord Symbols from Selection