Chord symbols from Cubase

Just bought Dorico 4 pro. I have worked with Cubase 12. Is there way to export chord symbols from Cubase chord track to Dorico or do I have to write all chords symbols again in Dorico? Can Dorico generate chord symbols from midi track?

You can drag and drop chords from the chord track in Cubase onto the track overview in Dorico’s Play mode.

2 Likes

And then generate the Chord Symbols from that…

B.

I was going to ask the same question.

I’ve just tried the drag & drop, and a line appears in the track I’m dragging to, but on releasing the mouse button, nothing then appears in the track.

Also, on generating symbols, I just tried selecting the pitches in a chord in Write mode, then Write/Create Chord Symbol, expecting Dorico to work its magic, but nothing happened.

If you want Dorico to create chord symbols from notes, hit J for the jump bar and start typing “generate chord” to find the dialog. You can also access this via the right-click context menu, or assign a dedicated key command.

1 Like

Good. Thanks, now I’m at last introduced to the world of J!

What is supposed to happen when I drag from the Cubase chord palette to Dorico/Play? Should I set something up in Write beforehand? (Obviously I already have tracks there.)

Select one or more chords in the Chords track in Cubase, then drag them onto any track in the track overview in Play mode, or into the piano roll in the Key Editor. You’ll see a red insertion point line that shows where the first chord symbol will end up.

Ah, I see – I thought the idea was to drag the chord pad, which appeared to be possible; the red insertion line being what gave me that impression.

Well, Dorico doesn’t know until you drop the selection what you have dragged, so it shows the insertion point anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for the answers. I exported 3 midi tracks from Cubase and imported them to Dorico. Two guitar tracks went to the same stave and bass track to it’s own. How can I separate those two guitar tracks to their own staves?

When you import the MIDI file, the MIDI Import Options dialog appears, in which you can specify the target for each track.

Ok. In advanced editor I added player and now the score looks good. Can I hear the sound from both Cubase and Dorico when they both are open? I assume they both use Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio-driver in my computer.

If you’re on Mac, then typically the answer is yes. If you’re on Windows, then it’s a bit more complicated, and I’m not sure I know exactly what procedure needs to be followed to make it happen. I believe you would need to choose two different audio devices in the two applications.

I’m on Windows 10. In Cubase I chose Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver. I also chose ”Release driver when application is in Background”. In Dorico I chose ASIO DirectX Full Duplex driver Now I can hear sound from Cubase and Dorico when they are both open.

I’ve been testing tablatures. I’m able to move left-hand fingerings from one string to another with N and M. Is it possible set rule to this: for example: use only frets 4 to 7 and strings 2-5?

I’m afraid it’s not possible to set that kind of restriction up, no.

Just so you know, you’re not alone… :wink: I have been longing for a solution that ties together tab and neck positions in the score for many moons now…

2 Likes

Hey Daniel, I tried doing that and for some reason it doesn’t work. Can you share a screen shot / video that shows that? I think I probably don’t understand something in your explanation.
I try dropping it to the track in play mode and in the key editor, both didn’t work. What is the “track overview”? Is that it?:

In the screenshot you’ve posted, there is nothing there to drag. You need something in the Chords track like this:

Yeah, that’s what I’v tried. I was wondering where do you drag TO.