Condensed Score bugs?

That is correct, Richard. Dorico doesn’t carry those properties across because the context is very often different on the condensed staff, and Dorico may well choose to create different cautionary accidentals when condensing anyway. However, you can still show cautionary accidentals as needed in condensed music because you can select the notehead to which you want to show an accidental in Engrave mode and explicitly set the ‘Accidental’ property for the condensed staff.

Thanks for the hint.
R

The improvements with condensing in 3.1 are wonderful. So little remains to edit manually. Thanks.

I ran across a small problem today with missing rests. In the attached link to a cut-down of a large work, the tuba is missing rests in the condensed score in bars 207 and 209 but not in bar 211. The only difference appears to be the presence of accents in the first two.

I have tried removing the accents, erasing and rewriting the offending bars but nothing seems to work. (In case you are wondering, I combined the tuba with the euphonium rather than the bass for condensing because their rhythms are much closer in most of the work.)

I expect that this is another case of operator error but any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The answer is that you switch between using up-stem voice 1 and down-stem voice 2 in the tuba part in that passage. Arguably the condensing result shouldn’t be any different just because you’re using a different voice, but it does affect the ranges of rests that Dorico is given to work with. If you start using the down-stem tuba part in all bars. Up to you which way to go!

Thanks for your quick reply, Daniel. Yes, I was getting sloppy with voice assignments.

Perhaps, though, I have misunderstood your instructions. Here is what I did working with a copy of the file I sent previously:

• I selected the first bar in the tuba part,

• selected to the end of the flow, and

• changed the voice.

I tried up-stem voice 1, up-stem voice 2 and down-stem voice 1. In each case the inconsistencies disappeared but now all the rests are missing for the tuba in the condensed score from bar 207 to 217. Only bar 219 shows rests as I would expect them.

Obviously, No-one would expect the tuba to play all those middle Cs to Abs that the euphonium has but am I wrong in expecting Dorico to show the partial bar rests in bars 207, 209, 211, etc.?

Still confused,

When I cut down your project further to try to pin down the problem, I found that using Up-stem Voice 2 for that whole passage would produce rests in every bar, but it doesn’t work that way in the full project for whatever reason. For the time being I suggest you create a condensing change there that prevents amalgamation or specify manual condensing that puts the two instruments into separate stems at that point.

Thanks again, Daniel. I’ll give that a try.

Sorry to take so long getting back. I tried the suggestions you made and got most of the rests to show by changing the tuba to up-stem Voice 2 in the selected passage. In order to get the remainder of the rests to be visible in condensed mode, I found the most consistent results by selecting in galley view the missing rests and choosing the option to force their duration and position. Now everything is as I had wished.

It is still a bit of a work-around but, considering how far you have come with getting condensing to produce accurate, intelligent results, having this level of control gives me all I need at the moment.

Thank you!

Delete my previous comment.

I should have read all the details on condensing with 3.1 first. Doing a manual condensing change to force the rests to appear is far simpler and avoids having to change voices. That doesn’t feel like a work-around at all but a very logical additional control.

Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering if there’s any update on when those features might be implemented?

Thanks so much!

Best,
Sebastian

You can read about the Condensing Change dialog here.

I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the issue of an initial rest disappearing when condensing. Two trumpets, Trp. 1 is resting, Trp. 2 has a rest on the first beat (which doesn’t show when condensed). Both parts are in Up-stem Voice 1. The only way I could get the rest to appear was to create a Manual Condensing Change and making the Trp. 2 into Down-stem Voice (Trp. 1 is Up-stem).

Uncondensed
uncondensed trumpets

Condensed
condensed trumpets

Any other resolution to this issue? It wasn’t something I was watching for, so I’m glad I noticed it before printing.

Without seeing the project it’s nigh-on impossible to know. If you need specific help, please upload the specific project (or a cutdown version), as per the guidelines: Four simple guidelines to help us help you

Right you are. Here’s a cutdown version – the problem is the beginning of Stanza 2.

A Mighty Fortress (condensing problem).dorico (458.2 KB)