Connect Yamaha P-125 MIDI controller to Cubasis?

How do I configure the Routing in Cubasis 3.5 to work with external MIDI controllers? This same USB setup I’m using is plug n play in Dorico for iPad and works perfectly for creating sheet music scores there.

I want to control the MIDI instruments in Cubasis from my Yamaha P-125’s built-in MIDI controller. I see Dom using Yamaha Reface MIDI keyboards in his Cubasis tutorials but he never shows how he routes them to work.

NOTE: The P-125 can only send & receive MIDI over USB.

Anyone? Thanks.

I have read and re-read the Cubasis manual section on Routing but it’s no help.

P.S. Once I get this working, I’ll get out my Roland A-49 MIDI controller that can connect by Bluetooth, USB, or a MIDI DIN cable.

Hi @Johne1,

Please refer to the manuals of your hardware devices in use to learn how to connect them to your iOS device. Often this is done via using the dedicated Apple USB adapters.

Normally there are no extra routing steps required to trigger Cubasis via your external keyboard device. Our good friend Pete Johns came up with a nice YouTube tutorial showing the steps, which can be viewed here.

In addition, Cubasis also supports using MIDI controllers, which is explained in our MIDI Learn, Mackie Control and HUI Protocol support tutorial more in detail.

Best wishes,
Lars

Lars,

“This same USB setup I’m using is plug n play in Dorico for iPad and works perfectly for creating sheet music scores there.” I guess you missed that, I’ve been using the Camera Connector Kit for years.

I’ve seen Pete’s video, but he does NOT explain how he configured the track’s Routing in Cubasis to record the keyboard’s notes.

My Yamaha MIDI works fine with other DAWs. MIDI Wrench shows the notes and MIDI commands in my iPad. The Tutorial link you gave me sends me to a series of messages, not a tutorial. I’ve tried the Mackie/HUI setting, and then selected it in the Track Routing, but obviously, I’m missing something.

Specifically, I open a new MIDI track and it defaults to the Acoustic Piano. How do I set the tracks Routing?

Hi johne1,
I was in the middle of reading your post when it all suddenly changed, you must’ve edited your text.
Any way, to your question, if you tap on the piano at the beginning of the track, tap the name Microsinic then tap Audio Units or Inter-app and select a different instrument, that’s all it takes - unless I am reading your post wrong

1 Like

I’m going to try that right now. Thank you, Mike!

1 Like

A little more info for anyone else who encounters this.

Mike, I was in AUM using the King of FM synth when I saw your message, so that was the first AU I tried in Cubasis. When still no sound, I went into Setup and turned off Mackie Control / HUI, and BINGO!, out came synth sounds.

Next, I went back to Microsonic and selected Honky Tonk Piano, and now that’s working, too.

It looks like I was fighting myself by messing with the Routing and never went back and tried it with the Default settings.

Live and learn again from you, Mike @fixitmania53 ! TYVM!!

1 Like

Sorry about that. You were right, I was in the middle of editing it. I was probably getting rid of the parts that were me being frustrated and maybe sounding contentious. I don’t mean to come off like a jerk. Thank you for helping me.

1 Like

You are welcome :beers:

Oh, man. It’s 100 degrees Fahrenheit here and feels like 118!
If I could, the beer would be on me! I got thirsty just looking at that emoticon and I rarely drink anymore.

Blimey that’s hot :hot_face: it’s a nice comfy 14c here in the uk at the moment.
I hardly drink myself, that’s why I only chose the small cheers emoji, otherwise I would’ve chosen :beer::beer::sweat_smile: