Control room No sound in Phones when in Sample Editor Cubase 12.0.40

Using a Focusrite 18i20 3rd, I discovered that I have no sound in my headset when I play a selection in Sample Editor.
But it is working when playing the project.
And Control Room Monitors 1 & 2 are working from Sample Editor, only the phone output is muted ???

I have found an old post saying to add a ‘Monitor 1’ bus and route stereo output bus to it, then use it for the Phones output ???
But this rather looks as a bug, to me, or I missed something in the control room documentation ?

Using Cubase Pro 12 12.0.40

Hi,

Could you attach a screenshot of the Audio Connections > Control Room winnow, please?

Here it is

Hi,

There is a preferences, which allows the Phones act as the Monitor bus. Then it should work as you expect.

But I don’t need this when working on my tracks from main project windows ???
I have always switched between my monitors and headset.
Why the Sample Editor should need a special ‘preference’ ???
Looks like a bug.

Hi,

It’s not question of the Sample Editor. It’s question of the Monitor routing. Definitely works as intended.

1 Like

Could I benefit from your high knowledge, will you explain why my Control Center only partially works ( Monitors ok but Phones Nok) when I am using the Sample Editor ?

Hi,

All previews are routed to the Monitor bus (if Control Room is enabled). If you hit the Audition button in the Sample Editor, this is also a preview in fact.

So you have to set the Phones as the Monitor to hear the sound.

But the official way of using Phones is the one I use.
I don’t understand why the Phones section in Control Room should be internally connected to a different bus than the Monitor Section ?

Hi,

Your use case is one of many possible, but not the only one.

Not the only one, but isn’t it a matter of numbers ?
Certainly not the only one because YOU are here, but after reading some of your ‘popular’ activities here I discovered you are often ‘the last one posting in the thread’ with the brigthest answer (you are Cubase from so many years, may be a fresh approach…).
So I will give up answering to you but I hope that anyone thinking as me that it is strange that only half of the control room works when in Sample editor, will understand what I mean : bug or incomplete concept.

Hi,

Does the mentioned preferences switch help to you?

Not a lot : when I turn it on the headset replaces the external monitors sound, no way to have headset AND monitors… poor thinking on this feature.
And we loose all the benefits of Control Room.
Definitively not a solution.

Started to use Control Room, ran into this issue, started to cry.
I have to choose via Preferences whether I want to preview audio through speakers OR headphones? Cannot have both at the same time?

Is there any official from Steinberg who can explain the idea behind this, please? What is the user’s benefit of having to switch the preview bus between CR-Monitor and CR-Phones (in the Preferences nonetheless)?

1 Like

Haa happy to not be the only to find this not very user friendly… Thanks.

1 Like

Have also invested a lot of money in Cubase 12 and I also have this issue. I can hear samples from anywhere else in the Cubase system via my properly set up headphones, but not in the Sample Editor where I really need to be able to. Currently doing a Cubase course and have lost 2 Days work trying to sort it…

1 Like

Hi,

What about Control Room? Is it enabled? Is there Monitor bus? Is it routed to an Audio Port correctly?

But why don’t you plug your phones on the focusrite phone output?! I’ve used control room from far back in cubase 5, and I’ve never ran into this. I have my monitors and phone plugged to a Drawmer cmc, for convenience as my pci interface doesn’t come with volume control, and this setup has worked flawlessly for - 14 years?… I have cue sends on two separate buses, running out of interface, of course (just to clarify),

I believe this type of rant or personal attack is neither constructive nor a good forum practice. Discuss ideias, please. Not people. If you want, you can always send a private message to whom you want.

You are doing a personnal attack, I personnally only reported what I think a defective concept.
And from what I read, I am not the only one to share this idea.
Please keep focused on the subject of my thread, do not try to change it,thanks.