Could not create record file?

Hi,

Sorry, I can’t still reproduce it. Could you provide step-by-step repro, please?

I have tried this:
Test 1

• Create a project in Cubase 10.5. Set the Record File Type to Wave File.
  • Add Stereo Audio track.
  • Record few seconds.
  • Save the project.
  • Open the project in Cubase 11.
  • Try to record to the very same Audio track.
    => Works as expected, the signal has been recorded.

Test 2

• Create a project in Cubase 10.5. Set the Record File Type to FLAC File.
  • Add Stereo Audio track.
  • Record few seconds.
  • Save the project.
  • Open the project in Cubase 11.
  • Try to record to the very same Audio track.
    => Works as expected, the signal has been recorded.

Am I missing something?

“Could not create record file” is the message that Cubase display with certain projects in Cubase 11, when opening the project or clicking on the used audio tracks…

he is talking about the problem below that you have already reproduced:

Hi,

Thank you. It would be nice to don’t mix up multiple topics.

Solution shared by @Chriss

same problem …and solved , thanks Ivan !

Hi Guys,

I am having the same issues but your solution doesnt work as i have never used FLAC nor has Cubase cahnged to FLAC.

Error messages as follows:
Cubase 10 and 11 show this:

I select OK then the project opens.

I try to backup, save as, save and all create the following error in BOTH C10 and 11.

Strange error as the folder is clearly there.

The PROJECT settings have NEVER changed from these:

Anyone have any further ideas/solutions to try?

regards,

Mark

ADDITIONAL INFO:

I have updated to 11.0.41 and the same error occours.

Ihave reselected the AUDIO folder as the record folder and i get this error message when trying to save the file:

I have no idea why i cant find the file specified as thats the file it has opened lol

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Mark

Hi,

Do you have permission to write to the drive/folder (and all parents), where do you want to save your project?

Yeah all permissions are set, this just decided to happen overnight.

I was working on the project for 8 hours yesterday, turned the mahcine off and went to bed.

Woke up this morning, turned machine on (no updates) and boom! im getting this crap.

Mark

Another Addition:

I have resinstalled Cubase 11.0.41 and still no change.

Also just for more info this is happening on any and all projects, not just one, so its clearly a Cubase problem as everything was made with above settings IN Cubase 11 - so how does this just happen overnight?

Mark

All permissions are correct nothign has chnged on mysystem. I am saving to the default CPR folder as always.

Mark

Hi,

Could you try to start Cubase as administrator? Does it work then?

The administrative access shouldn’t matter as nothing has been updated, nothing has changed on my system (i am an IT pro by profession) my user had full access to all system files and folders and its been working that way perfectly for 8 months.
However lucky for me i keep an SSD duplicate dual boot drive in my system and i tested the files on that, they worked perfectly so it was a OS/Drive issue (I had seen indications to something gone ary on the drive now for a month or so) so i rebuilt the drive with WIndows 11 and all is working again.

The indicator was that it was all projects all of a suddenwhich pointed to a more technical broader issue.

thanks for the help.

regards

Mark

1 Like

I know it’s an old topic but in case this happens to some of you, you can try to right-click on the track that shows the message (“Could not create record file”) and then click on “Set Record Folder”. Pick a valid folder place and that should resolve the problem.
Tested with Cubase Pro 11,0,41

Hi,

Or you can change the global folder of the given project in Pool.

Correct, but it seems that the the Pool approach gives you a limited choice while the “Set Record Folder” approach lets you pick any available location. Do you confirm ?

Hi,

I’m not aware of any limitation you mentioned.

Thank you very much. This is the only thing that worked for me.

I fundamentally had the same problem as soundmagus.
However, instead of rebuilding the drive, i found the problem to be that, even though i had permissions to the files, windows defender was probably recognising cubase, (and it seems ableton as well) as a shady app (even though it had all rights and permissions.)

you have to virus and threat protection settings in security settings and click on the link to that says manage controlled folder access and turn it off. this will leave you more vulnerable to malware, but its the only solution as i still cant figure out why security isn’t trusting cubase.
maybe because cubase 12 is new, there may still be some issues with performing all the security handshakes, and will be fixed in the future.

anyway hope this helps someone, as i was literally scratching my head for hours.
p.s. not sure if third party security apps are also the cause for this problem, but seems to work for bogstandard windows security