CP8's disgusting performance..? fixed with updates

:smiley:Or am I doing something wrong?
I have a project with only 12 tracks, 10 audio…2 vst and 15 inserts…(nothing special) and the performance meter is maxed out…always red :frowning: :confused:

my buffer is set at 512 …Asio guard is set to normal, Audio power scheme is on… they have to be…without them the distortion is off the radar…

If I play the exact same project in Studio 0ne (3) it doesn’t even notice…so what’s happening with cubase?

why can’t it handle a few plugins?
or…am I doing something wrong? this hasn’t just started happening , I’m just getting sick of it :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

any advice out there?

thanks, Kevin

A few thoughts…

• Enable all of your processor cores to be “on” all the time (search the web for that procedure).
  • Standard spiel… Is this associated with certain vsts?
  • Are other program/processes running in the background that you could stop/trash/change? For me, my old Norton antivirus always seemed to bother CB. I never proved it but when I changed to the free MS Security Essentials the problem went away. Coincidence? Who knows.
  • Are you actually having issues or just a red meter? If just a red meter, remove it from view and fugetaboutit. I think you even mentioned somewhere that they probably are not accurate.

Good luck. :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

Hi, my ‘puter’ is optimised to death, there are no anti virus thingies because it never goes on the net, according to my task manager all cores (7) are working but I’ll look into what you said regarding this…

s’pose I could hide it and do the ‘‘ignorance is bliss’’ thing but this isn’t right for such an expensive DAW…

never had these issues with 5 or 6…cubase has more ‘‘stuff’’ but seems to be getting worse…if you catch my drift…

thanks for your answer…

best, Kevin

Try disabling hyperthreading, it seems to cause issues in older i7s.

It’s like that on my Mac Book Pro. I have to run everything in Vienna Ensemble Pro, it’s pathetic. I’ve just bootcamped Windows, so will be interesting to compare.

Hi, did what you suggested and there was no difference… :frowning: :frowning: thanks for the suggestion though :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

it seems i have 4 cores, I thought I had seven, why is my puter called i7 when I only have 4 cores?

really getting cheesed off with Cubase…really am… :frowning: :frowning: it should handle a small project without banging into the red… :imp: :imp:

Normal i7s only have 4 physical cores, the other 4 are virtual cores for hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is supposed to improve performance by maximizing the usage of each core, but the real world benefit of this tends to be pretty small for most programs. In many cases it just makes things worse.

You can buy an i7 with more physical cores, but they’re crazy expensive.

Hi…thanks for your reply…I’ve just bought the harrison mixbus and it’s excellent…been running the same project on it without any problems…and it’s got a brill GUI…maybe time to move DAW’s…just sick of spending time trying to find out what’s bothering Cubase

Hey, don’t give up just yet, maybe it’s something as silly and simple as your audio interface not liking ASIO Guard. How well did Cubase 7 work for you? What about 6.5?

Hi, If I turn ASIO guard off the distortion is unbearable and my interface is a Yamaha N8…s’posed to be compatible …
I get the impression ASIO guard is there to cover up bad performance or something…

6.5 was ok but since then I’ve watched Cubase become bloated with ‘‘stuff’’ while the performance meter goes off the radar…

does anyone use Cubase without ASIO guard ? …for me it’s impossible, I just get incredible distortion…

, I’m not a power user of Cubase …I just do songs and it’s very rare for me to have more than 30 tracks…there’s a l’ot of stuff in Cubase I don’t need…
the Beatles did ‘Pepper’ with 4 tracks I believe (or maybe it was 8) so I reckon I should be able to manage a song with 30 or so…

I’m gonna be using Mixbus for my next project and see where that leads me…

unless this performance problem is suddenly sorted by Steiny…but I somehow doubt it…
8.5 will come along as a paid upgrade with some new ‘‘toy’’ and the performance meter will still be banging the red…

would definitely like to know if it’s possible to use Cubase without the ASIO guard though…

cheers, Kevin

Hi Kevin sorry your having problems. I only have 4 GB Ram and I not having any problems with a similar sized or even larger projects. I know that is no help to you but I somehow think it is something other than Cubase 8 that is causing your problem.

In either case best of luck.

Gerry

I’ve been told this so many times…how come Studio one (3) and Harrison mixbus 3 handles these same projects without any performance issues…why do i get mind numbing distortion when I turn off the ASIO guard thing?..why does Cubase need an ASIO guard thing?

I’ve re installed W7 and done a clean everything twice…just got sick of trying to figure out what the heck is going on when I could spend the time doing music on one of the other 2 DAW’s that I have that actually work without sweating…

I had quite a few other probs in the past and was told it was my system…most of them disappeared when Steinberg issued an update…

I can only give you a case that happened to me recently I had Windows 7 64 bit installed and upgraded the video card. I was getting graphic drop outs and problems anyway I thought I would take the free upgrade to Windows 10 and moved into a complete minefield. Even Reaper (Normally very stable) went on the blink and I mean audio playback was horrendous and so was CPU.

One option was to roll back to Windows 7 but Windows 10 had removed some of the files so I was knackered. OK the only option was a complete clean install of Windows 7 64 bit. The end result was amazing everything appeared to have quickened up no more graphics problems no more playback problems etc etc.

I can only assume that the amount of clutter my pc had picked up over the years was just slowing it down and causing conflicts and problems or perhaps the initial install was not quite right. Despite my constant defrags etc.

If you have run diagnostic checks on your hard drive, graphics card etc and confirm it is not a hardware issue then I would consider a clean OS install.

On the other hand if as you say all other DAW’s are working perfectly and it is only Cubase that is the problem I would try an uninstall and a clean install of Cubase and make sure your Anti Virus is switched off when you install. If I am being obvious I apologize.

Hi, I said in my last post that I’d done two clean re installs of W7…no problem with stating the obvious…it’s definitely not my system though…
the big issue for me is …how come my other DAW’s deal with my projects OK but cubase can not handle them without the performance meter banging the red all the time!!

My music puter has not got anti virus…it never goes on the net…all it’s got on it is Cubase and the other 2 DAW’s and the plugins and stuff…it’s a very clean and tidy puter…

cheers, Kevin

Sorry Kevin missed that. A real bummer then me old mate as apart from the obvious I’m snookered.

Well…I thought i was snookered until I tried Mixbus 3…

best, Kevin

I really have no idea what I am talking about for your specific CB performance issue but here are a few more things to try that I would do if I had your issues and I already did all the typical checks for vst compatibility issues and op system adjustments…

I would turn to some (hopefully) fairly easy hardware changes/checks. Like maybe trying a different graphics card if you have one. Reseating ram chips. Making sure the ram chips are the same type/clock speed/whatever. Run that hardware system checker program that is buried somewhere in Windows. Can’t remember it’s name but it checks HD speed/errors, graphics and ram performance, etc. Make sure all drivers are up to date. Do a registry clean (I regularly use CCleaner). Some say don’t use CCleaner but I never had a problem using it and it allows you to copy/restore the reg if it somehow makes things worse. Defrag the HD and the registry (I use Auslogics Registry Defrag).

Again, just rambling off some ideas. Good luck.

Regards :sunglasses:

Apologies if I missed this Kevin, but did you say anywhere that your performance actually suffered? In other words, if you are able to load your VSTi’s and plugins and tracks and do everything you want with snappy performance, is it important what the meter says?

Hi Alexis, thanks for your input, some of what you say is beyond my ability in the computer domain…but I can not get past why my other DAW’s work fine and handle everything while Cubase cannot…I think for too long now people with problems are being told ‘‘it’s your system’’ when it actually isn’t…
6.5 ran fine for me…it’s just got worse as Steinberg added more stuff to cubase…

I recently read a thread where someone was told by support that the problem they were having was a ‘‘Windows 7 problem’’ ,
he updated to W10 and still has the problem,

regarding the performance meter being red all the time…if it’s OK to ignore it why is it there? is it not telling me that something is wrong somewhere?
is it about to explode if add some more plugins?..what’s it for?
it hasn’t effected anything…that I know of… cubase is usable and I do like it but using it while the performance meter is telling me it, 'Hey, I’m maxed out here…can’t you see I’m struggling? what the heck are doing with that gigantic project of 30 tracks and 15 plugins?..
meanwhile my task manager is telling me that the puter hasn’t even noticed that it’s switched on…

there’s definitely something wrong and it’s not my system,

I would still like to know why I get massive distortion if I switch ASIO guard off…is that normal?
my other 2 DAW’s work fine without ASIO guard…

best, Kevin :slight_smile:

It’s called “core parking” and it’s a big thing with gamers. You definitely want all cores working all the time. You can do a youtube search on “core parking”. There’s loads of info. This one is for Windows 7, but there’s info on 8.1 etc:

Good luck