Creating new Instruments

Dear all,

I already apologize for all the questions I’m going to have that I don’t even know about at the moment… :blush:

I want to create an instrument (Waterphone) and have no clue how to start. I would like to notate it on a 5-line staff and then later assign the right sounds to each line or note head. I tried creating an empty percussion kit but then I can only add instruments that already exist… What is the procedure that Dorico works with for creating this kind of new instruments?

Best wishes,

Félix

Félix, at the moment you have to use one of the pre-programmed instruments and change its name. There currently isn’t a way to create completely new instruments. Choose something you never use and just rename it (and perhaps save the name as a new default). On espère que cet functionalité nous viendra bientôt.

Ahhh, that was enlightening. Un tout grand merci, Romanos.

De rien!

(I should clarify: you can technically create a new instrument by editing the XML program files or by creating an instrument in another program and importing it into your project, but these are obviously workarounds.)