Cubase 10.5.20 Maintenance Update

Thank u … You may u have no guilt in this ,
but please file a request to manage your company that we are demanding a free solution that .
we are sticking to you in the last breath …
For this, hold on to us too. We did not write here except from our love in your products and our dedication to this company.
We do free videos and marketing your products and more . The motivation is our love.
But that we are being exploited in this way, it is unacceptable. This is your problem. It is not our problem every time we upgrade and pay.
Finally, we receive a shocking response from you that makes us hate everything from you.

Did you know that many bought the version and are unable to do anything and are using other programs? I am now Cubase that I have and i do not run it
all my work I do it in other programs and the reason is that I am unable to open anything I tried everything but still poor result

You should focus that we are unable to accomplish anything with this problem. This is no additional features to attract customers.
Think about creat new additional features in 11
we will buy cubase 11 for new tools , extra features we will not buy for solve steinberg faults

If support is missing in Windows 10 from the start, why did you make it the same price of mac version?
Is this fair?
You are asking us to pay more with Cubase 11 !!! and you sold us 2 version with lacking support!!! (10 and 10.5)

u should solve basic problems for free

Please discuss with the administration and tell us your response and find a solution that satisfies us and satisfies you because this is not fair
We are not greedy, so do not be greedy with us, as this way causes us to flee from you

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for your respectful feedback. Please understand that this is not about fixing something. The support of high resolution displays is a development task that we can only achieve in iterations. The 100% and 200% support was the first step. After that we needed to work in the backend to prepare the framework in order to deal with uneven scalings like 150%. The next step will be the support of scaling of the main application. But it will be a topic for some more future Cubase versions until we will be able to fully support HiDPI in every corner and bitmap of the application.

With every Cubase release we can only make an offer to our customers. We do our best to make the best possible value proposition for the various user groups from Hollywood composers to home studio producers. I hope that you can see that we always tried to listen carefully to our customers and develop Cubase in your best interest. This will be the same for Cubase 11. There will be a lot of improvements, new features and also a next step for the HiDPI support on Windows. We will again make an offer to you and hope that you value our work highly enough to pay for it. There will be a 30 day trial version as every year, so you will be able to find out whether the improvements are worth the update or not.

I understand, that this is not the quick and free solution you are hoping for, but I can just ask you for some more patience.

Best regards,
Matthias

“But it will be a topic for some more future Cubase versions until we will be able to fully support HiDPI in every corner and bitmap of the application.”

That sounds hard.

@Matthias I am still questioning the logic of why we can’t get public access to old updates? It should be up to the end user to chose at what patch level they wish to revert to.

Matthias, thanks for your reply - we are all here on the forums because we WANT to use, support and positively spread the word about Cubase/Nuendo! The features are amazing…

Having said that, the GUI issues on Windows is a showstopper tragic flaw bug IMO. You use the GUI 8-14 hours a day and need it to inspire you, it is the reason that so many people are saying they are going to quit Cubase/Nuendo unless it is fixed. Your eyes are the most essential ergonomics while working, and nothing is more frustrating than broken windows/menus/plugins and very blurry fonts.

I understand you say there are 3 levels of difficulty, how about at the very LEAST fix level 1 of the VST plugins scaling/chopping when opening/moving?:

PROPOSAL-
LEVEL 1 WITH QUICK PATCH - fix the opening/moving of VST plugins; do 2x scaling for non-HiDPI aware when on 4K screen and resize properly when opening/moving all

LEVEL 2 - main application windows/menus

LEVEL 3 - every corner bitmap of the application

MAC vs WINDOWS and Microsoft Team’s Response POV Firsthand Story

And for all you Mac users that say this is a Windows thing, it is not. Supporting many resolutions/framerates/technologies like HDR is a cornerstone of Windows and why gaming, VR and now AR only runs perfectly now on Windows OSs- not a Mac. Games/VR/AR need so many resolution/framerate/HDR/holographic options and Microsoft gives us developers the power to get under the hood and empower all!

I had a NDA with with Microsoft at my previous company where I was CEO of V-MODA (division of ROLAND), we worked with them on headphones, Midi 2.0, XBOX, store sales and more. HiDPI was more of an issue circa 2015/2016 and by 2018 the Windows best practices had been implemented by almost all major flagship 3rd party software and games, but that was ~2-5 years ago!

I was at Microsoft HQ the days of October 6, 2015 when the Surface Book was launched; I noticed they put a unique 3:2 HiDPI display with an unknown 3240 x 2160 3:2 resolution on their flagship SurfaceBook vs 4K 3840x2160 16:9. I asked their team why 3:2 and was worried the DPI/resolution issues would hurt music software like Serato that we were working with in partnership with Roland’s DJ-808 and other controllers.

They assured me they were working to give the developers the docs and tools to make HiDPI a reality in every resolution and DPI, 21:9 widescreen and also 3:2 should also be supported in the OS+APPS as it is a great ergonomic aspect ratio for holding devices in your arms for devices of the future (and like the new Surface DUO coming out)!

In short, this is NOT a Windows vs Mac issue.

As I tell my engineering teams in similar situations and I think this applies to HiDPI:

“DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY.” -YODA

So … HiDPI was introduced in Cubase 10.0 - and its still not fully usable in the latest version. For me, personally, the one truly showstopping problem is the lack of 2x scaling for plugins not aware of HiDPI; something which competing DAWS does just fine. I don’t really see any room for interpretation on Steinbergs behalf: it was a selling point in the marketing of Cubase 10, and here - a paid upgrade later, we’re told that we’ll have to pay even more, before its usable for production work even with the current 100%/200% limitations (that in fairness was mentioned at C10 launch).

I’m truly sorry to sound harsh, but this is an outright deceptive way of conducting business. Is this not obvious to Steinberg management or whoever is in charge of development priorities? I can assure you it’s obvious to everybody else …

Best,
Rune
FishCorp / Copenhagen

MOUSE WHEEL!!!
PLEASE BRING THIS BACK!!!

With all due respect, this is a highly problematic view, which can hardly be shared and accepted by us Cubase users in this weird way.

It means that ressources of Yamaha/Steinberg for an ESSENTIAL while using Cubase in HiDPI have not reached the absolutely required second level of offering 150% resolution, two years after introducing 100% and 200%, now followed by further delay towards Cubase 11. You can’t be serious to think, that this is a remotely acceptable perspective for many paying Cubase Pro customers. What I find even more strange, is that Yamaha/Steinberg management obviously doesn’t understand, how serious a threat to your whole already difficult standing in a crowded DAW market this extremely problematic resource decision may be.
From my view it was absolutely required to put enough high priority ressources into this to get basic 150% resolution done within roughly a year. You might lose much more money by alienating trustful Cubase customers the way this happens now.

Reading your statement shows me no conscious change towards a decisive development push, just the opposite: further slowmo with limited resources over years to come. That sadly adds me to the list of people who will now have to check alternatives very seriously. A well working UI on modern high resolution montors is not some nice addon to be developed over three years and more. It is a basic requirement to like working with a DAW at all! And I simply deny that what we have now is Cubase in HiDPI, when many are not even able to use it in acceptable ways with their high resolution monitors. Sad and disappointed.

An easy solution for this is to offer 10 and 10.5 updates with full/fixed hdpi and nothing further when hdpi is ready.

I must have missed somewhere why HiDPI was so crucial to using a DAW. Just whip out your old monitor. Bob’s yo uncle. :sunglasses:
I personally would prefer it if Steinberg concentrated there resources on fixing other things that were not so cosmetic. Unless of course someone can tell me how 4K monitors benefit the users workflow. Then I might consider getting one and sending my current monitor to landfill.

I must say though, I am concerned about the well being of the people at Steinberg. Maybe there is something in the water at the building where they work. Some of the things they are doing just makes no sense at all. releasing updates that should probably be called downdates. 4 things are fixed while breaking 5 more things.

Well … it’s simpler than that: just disable HiDPI, but that’s not the problem here. HiDPI was a selling-point for Cubase 10; it’s still broken in 10.5 and who knows what V11 will bring. Advertising a feature, taking the money, and then telling the users that if you actually want a WORKING feature you gotta pay again. That’s the “not cool” part.

I’d also be perfectly happy if V11 was purely centered on workflow, program responsiveness, bugfixes and finishing up all the half-baked features currently in the program. I feel pretty confident, that if Steinberg did a survey on whats most important to its users and what they are willing to pay for - you’d find workflow and bugfixes very high on that list. A new pad vst is not going to help me make better music; a non-crashing and fast DAW however will do just that! Priorities, please! :smiley:

There must be a logical explanation as to why they seem to be dragging there feet with fixes. Something to do with business modelling I assume. It’s just a pity that we the users are subjected to the agony of features that almost work properly.
As artists we seek beautiful sounds. Now we need the devs to seek a beautiful DAW. At the moment it’s a Frankendaw. There is the basis of a good DAW but it’s held together with sticky tape and staples. After 30 years one would think they would have this DAW thing licked by now.

OK I will explain to you in simple terms why I need HiDPI to work. With HiDPI switched off Cubase is almost blurred and after a short while is hard on the eyes. With HiDPI switched on at 100% it is too small to read and at 200% half the real estate is off the screen. Get the problem and please do not suggest buying another monitor to solve what is basically a Steinberg/Cubase/Windows problem. I need HiDPI Scaling at 125% and its as simple or as dificult as that.

DAW´s that do HiDPI scaling perfectly well:- Ableton Live, Bitwig, Reaper and Studio One. Note I only mention these as I currently use Studio One and downloaded trials of the others to check them out. Now on the basis that these DAW´s in principle are business competitors of Cubase you would think that the odd man out needs to get their act together pretty quickly just to stay level with the rest of the field regarding HiDPI scaling.

Lastly I appreciate the problem and I also appreciate Mathias explaining the Steinberg position but I also believe it is unsustainable. Unless of course the number of MAC users alone is sufficient to maintain the business (I understand that Cubase HiDPI Scaling works on a MAC). Oh and don´t even suggest it, no I am not buying a MAC and I am not changing my Monitor. LOL. :slight_smile:

Thank u …
this is what I wanted to explain, because I have programming experience
Microsoft //Build/ conference
i attended more than once from its beginnings, and they always offer very advanced tools that are not found in the Mac environment.
Steinberg sold us (10.0, 10.5) the same price as the Mac version
Note that the support were a difference
Why was the versions of Mac and Windows the same price?

It seems that the love of this company and its products will soon die
Now the market is full of competitors and each competitor has stronger points than the other
We just got used to this program and loved it
We wrote here about our love for this company, but the answer was disappointing and not convincing

If this is the company’s last decision, then it is the end for me
Studio One is a very powerful competitive alternative

@Quietly
+1

I don’t see me returning from eye saving 4k monitors to lower res, hard on the eyes in long work, across everything I do on computers: it’s a night and day experience difference in everyday work looking at screens! And frankly, I find the proposition, to regard that as possible solution, plain ridiculous.

Probably 125% would indeed be the fitting next step, after 100% and 200% NOT doing a proper job with most actuacl HiDPI monitors used, and more users probably wanting 125% rather than 150% with their actual monitors. Looks like we are supposed to wait MUCH too long for that to happen.

Shouldn’t we bring the video support thing from Cubase 8.5 back on the plate to showcase the lack of reliability of this company?! Companies which vanished from the market were many times going down by mismanagement. It’s not only the HDPI thing, but with too many versions Cubase is not maintenanced accurately. Whoever’s decision it is, too many times these little things were never looked at. And better nit to mention their poor support culture. No doubt, many other DAW companies just got new customers because of the little things and lack of customer care. I am getting sick of it, be Cubase still one of the best DAWs on the market from a general point of view, this company is not predicted to stay much longer than 5 years with such business attitude. UAD ia now even fishing for DAW users…Pitty to see…when everything fell down no one really cared… :unamused:

Why does it cost so much to do things well? It is so obvious…

This year’s on line polls have seen cubase fall to number 5, it seems a whole generation of users are turning their backs on it whilst long time users are switching to alternatives. Many users have multi daw installations, it’s not a luxury these days, it’s the norm. Steinberg seem to forget that, much to their cost I’m afraid.

It only takes a few minutes to register and download a “life version” fully functioning daw with generous upgrade paths, pro tools first, Studio one one prime, Ableton lite, garageband, cakewalk is free and of course a copy of the ever popular reaper is only pennies. Sure Steinberg are innovative but they’re not consistant. Instead of fixing loads of bugs they make it worse by introducing a new user interface with many more issues, a pointless exercise in fashion ,by the time they get it right it will be really dated.

Steinberg are making a mess of things at the moment, it would seem they’re having issues with the big boss Yamaha who control the purse strings and direction . All big corporations are very greedy and control. Yamaha have seemingly pulled the plug on a promising Steinberg direction, they pulled the plug on the highly successful DM series of mixing desks/controlers, stopped supporting Studio Manager software just leaving tne 01v96i hybrid desk/controller using studio manager which has not been updated since SX3, probably to push the market towards Nuage control, a disaster all around it would seem whilst dropping (yet to this day promising for the last 4 years) support for Eucon or indeed many other control surfaces, without offering a bespoke affordable alternative.

The whole HiDPI/4k debacle is just the latest of in a long line of bad marketing moves to a disenfranchised user base. People have spent thousands buying new gpu and monitors as did many on a whole host of very expensive Eucon control surfaces on false marketing claims but Steinberg. It’s clear to see how they are seemingly falling from grace, what’s not so clear is now they’ll pick themselves back up.Another hashed up new synth, plugin or another folder full.of loops won’t resolve things for sure.

• 1 Free upgrade or I am jumping ship

+1 here as well. i feel we should get a free upgrade because of this feature mis-advertising.

That being said, there does seem to be a little bit of confusion as to what HIDPI is