Cubase 10.5 multicore managing

There are some basic things you should know.

Spreading the Load – CPU Affinities and Hyper-Threading

Should You Disable Hyper-Threading?

Why can’t I utilize ALL my CPU cores?

///
CPU Meters & Multi-core CPU Processing
https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/toolbar_panels.htm#Multi-core_Processing

Q. Which CPU meter should I believe?
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-which-cpu-meter-should-i-believe

///
Hyperthreading/Simultaneous Multithreading and ASIO Guard

Details on ASIO-Guard in Cubase and Nuendo

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this info!!

I will check it !

The Answer to all your questions is that Cubase doesn’t perform as well on MacOS as it does on Windows, at least that is what it seems like.
Multicore Performance is inferior to competitors. Also some plugins seem to trip Cubase 10.5.12 out and that has been reported numerous times.
Studio One + Logic both show CPU Usage on Hyperthreading “Cores” when loading big Sessions, but Cubase doesn’t.
Your question is clear, even tho some of the people here act like you are retarded.

Wait for an update and pray that performance will be fixed. Right now 10.5.12 doesn’t perform as we would love it to do, that is without a question…even tho there will be some people saying “well…it does perform quite well on my system”. Don’t pay attention to those people. Some of them have absolutely different Workflow (only stock plugins, or luckily not using any of the trouble causing plugins), or they have no comparison to other daw’s performance or they are just simply lying , like most fanboys.

I’m the biggest Cubase fan and i prefer the tools it comes with, but i do admire the performance Logic is giving me on my Mac Systems.
If Steinberg gets to fix the performance issues that have been discussed PLENTY in the forum, cubase will be unbeatable.

Quick Tipp: Heavy Bussing kills the CPU super fast. Try to avoid toooo many Groups with heavy FX on it.

best

1 Like

I do performance tests all the time and I posted a benchmark that anyone can use to compare Cubase to other DAWs. I find Logic and Cubase performance to be equivalent in multicore tests. Here are the details:

I think you have no f… clue of what you say, but you pretend to be a genius.

You are not helping in this post at all.

Just the answer I was looking for. The truth is I come from Windows and working under that os, all the trheads work properly. I’ve just switched to macbook and this is the first time this happens.

Thanks a lot for your answer and hope steinberg engineers read this and solve it.

Glad i could “help” .
Let’s be honest here, the reason we are posting about Cubase Problems is because we love the program and want it to improve.
I appreciate if somebody actually tries to compare daws in their performance but i’m not a big fan of synthtetic-style benchmarks.
I’ve been using Cubase for over 10 years now and recently got into S1 and LPX and do some serious work on LPX when i collaborate on Film Projects.
There is something about Cubase that gives me an overall “this will reach the cpu limit”-feeling, all the time, whenever i have a big project. Sometimes it’s an extremely sluggish GUI, sometimes i open projects that ran at 80% ASIO and suddenly are glued to 100%, spiking uncontrollably not even able to be played back. Sometimes i open certain plugins (newest versions) in an empty project and the Asio Meter spikes…
To be fair, some of these things can and do happen in logic too, but i feel like they happen in Cubase way more often and that’s a bummer because i fckng love cubase.

10.4 upwards has been a slight desaster performance wise and that has been well documented in the forum, 10.5.11 fixed some problems, and 10.5.12 fixed some more, but it still feels like there is headroom when it comes to overall performance!
Let’s hope the DEV’s will surprise us with a great update (hopefully for free, because there is a serious bunch of people that couldnt use 10.5.x at all)

Best

…And you wonder why no one is gonna help you?

1 Like

The only person helping and refering in a good way to the aim of this post has been unkstar. This is not for helping me, is for helping the whole cubase community.

Thanks

I agree 100%, Cubase is awesome, but it still needs some SERIOUS optimization. The question is: when is it finally going to happen? Been waiting since C8…

Have you guys tested another daws such as S1 or Pt12? Do they have a better performance?

Is there a problem? Do you have dropped audio or slow graphics? OSX cpu scheduler does not start to use the hyperthreading partner until the regular are full. The CPU also maintain it’s own CPU clock, so it should not clock faster than needed. Very important for a laptop to save battery. There is tool from Intel called Intel Power Gadget. It shows the cpu clock and cpu usage. The tool exist for MSWindos and Linux as well. I think it is open source.

I’ve created a mirror project with the same plugins in studio one and logic, and all the 16 threads work like charm. In cubase my vst meter peaks when my cpu is only around 25%.

With my old computer it happened the same and thought it was because a hardware problem, so I replaced it. Now I see this is a problem of Cubase itself.

I’ve been a great believer and been always telling everybody how superior cubase was from the rest of daws, and I’ve convinced a lot of musicians and producers to switch from other daws to cubase, but if the steinberg engineers keep on without listening to users, I guess daws like s1 or pt12 will be the new daw for a lot of us, including myself.

CPU usage, Performance meter, Hyperthreading (SMT), etc. So many poeple misunderstand those kinds of things.
Equal CPU usage per logical core doesn’t mean best performance.

You dont have the vst meter in pt or s1, so what do you compare?

Hi, it seems things have gotten a little off track here, but hopefully this helps. This is a video explaining the difference between audio workstation or realtime performance and cpu performance. I personally found it very informative.

The TLDR is that your audio performance in Cubase is based off a number of different factors that the activity monitor does not show. Also you might want to try adjusting your buffer setting under the Studio Setup menu option. It’s a little hard to find, but once you open that window click on your audio interface name and then the control panel. Here you can adjust buffer settings. The higher the setting the more time you give your computer to process everything. I usually run somewhere between 256 and 512. Good luck!

There is now plenty of info available on the issues forum, to do with Cubase’s audio processing/threading issues, which are causing this exact problem on Mac AND windows users’ systems, and it is baffling how so many ‘senior members’, etc, cruise around the various forums acting like this is a local, user-by-user issue each time.

This is an issue that is either multithreaded ASIO vs hyperthreading CPUs, or multithreaded ASIO processing + AMD & Nvidia graphics drivers, on later versions of Cubase. Platform independent. That this issue exists is CRYSTAL CLEAR, and I highly recommend going to the ISSUES subforum to find all the other threads where users are discussing this.

FYI - Cubase’s internal cpu monitor does not reflect total system cpu usage. You just use an external system for this, such as the windows resource monitor or a 3rd party tool.

If you use the external monitor, you can easily see that Cubase never uses more than 10-20% of your system’s cpu cores, depending on your config, and that the INTERNAL processing in Cubase is what spikes when the issues occur.

There are numerous of these^^ threads under issues.

Thanks a lot for your answers