Cubase 10.5 Video export file size is huge

Big +1 from me.

As a full time TV composer I had waited for this for ages but this implementation doesn’t make sense. I rarely get HD versions of shows to work on. With early stage animation they’re very low res. Why on earth would I want to have those re-encoded to 1080p or to have such a massive file? Most of the time I don’t want to have them re-encoded at all.

I send video reviews to directors all the time but for a 11min animation episode at 1080p with the hard coded options this comes in over 3gb. Why would this ever be necessary? The final picture encoding on a professional project will never be done from Cubase - review exports will be done all the time.

Either keep the original encoding (doing the correct splits to match export) and add audio or provide decent re-encode options to make it a useful alternative. For the moment I have to continue the way I did before as this feature isn’t fit for purpose.

1 Like

Bigger ++1 from me too.
Unusable.

+1 from me as well.
Please fix this Steinberg.

1 Like

+++1 also from me. h.264 is great. What is missing for me, is a button, with wich one could export
the Bit Rate and Resolution of the original file.

++++++1
Please!
:cry:

1 Like

2021 and just upgraded Cubase 11 Pro… This is still an issue. Also, the blue sky in my video is exporting orange and the sun is blue!

Well, I too was hoping for improvement by now, but most of my needs are just to add the audio mixdown into the entire existing video, and for that, I created the ER Media ToolKit, which makes it much faster, and into any given video.
I only use the video export in rare cases when I edit the video in the project window or export just a small portion of it, and even then I take the output video and process it through my MediaER tool to shrink its size to something more usable.
About the colors, I never had such color distortion, maybe the video you’re importing into Cubase is in the wrong color specs to begin with?
I feel comfortable with my workflow, but I definitely agree we should have much more advanced video export options, and I know Steinberg teams are working on it. It may be more complex than what you would think if it takes so long to release.

I realized that my expectations from cubase are unrealistic. in fact, i now use davinci resolve for video editing and it has impressive audio editing capabilities and i can actually use all my plugins.

+1. Using Nuendo 11 for film post and it’s pretty silly that $1000 DAW can’t just swap the audio without re-encode or at least not bloat the export video up.

1 Like

It’s May 2022. The size of exported video file is the same huge is it was year ago… Should we expect any fixing? Maybe integration with adobe media encoder?

Hi @hewonders , I wouldn’t expect any changes in the near future and by the way, this is not a fix because it’s an intended behavior, what you wish for is a new feature that will allow you to create a non intra-compression h264 (look it up to see what that means), in short, most video encoding software use that is known as IPB or GOP h264 compression, while Cubase only allows INTRA compression that doesn’t include P and B-frames, only i-frames. it’s great and much better for video playback in DAWs but larger in size to get to the same picture quality as IPB/GOP compressed h264 achieves with much lower video bitrate, hence, smaller file size.
You can always re-render the video that comes out of Cubase to shrink it or don’t use it at all if you only do it to insert your sound mix into the video.
Either way, I’m quite certain they have much more pressing matters to attend to before they get to this issues, or at least that’s how I expect them to handle it.

Hope it helps.

It doesn’t help Sagi. We don’t use the export feature to re-import the video into DAWs. We use it to send review mixes to clients.

We begged for this feature for years, and now that we have it, I can’t use it because the file sizes are ridiculous.

1 Like

I know it doesn’t help @GPnicolett , I’m not a Steinberg spokesman, I’m only explaining the logic as I see it and as someone who knows a few things about video handling.
As I said earlier, You can always re-render the video that comes out of Cubase to shrink it or don’t use it at all if you only do it to insert your sound mix into the video.
That’s why I created the ‘ER Media ToolKit’, I myself couldn’t wait for it to become more useful and decided to do something about it.

2 Likes

I am on Cubase 11 Pro. Yeah, will be great to have render options for the videos! So often we need to show just an example to the clients before the final version. Steinberg, please, do it!

Same thing here,

Silly thing to do,

One supposed to send a video to the production company, only to find it is 1TB and it is impossible to send and it will take forever to download on the other side…

I did use the Video exporting feature to send very short segments though, and for the full film, it will have to be an mp3 and let the guys on the other side place it on the video, it takes 2 seconds…

Very dangerous practice, mp3 adds about 60 ms silence before The actual beginning, I would expect about one and a half frame audio Delay when an MP3 is combined with a video master.
Use a PCM audio file (wav or aif) to get a perfect audio to video sync.
You can also try the ER Media ToolKit I created in Replace Audio mode or in full render mode to produce a new small h264 (mp4) that includes your mix.

1 Like

Hmmm, I never came across this issue,

Sure thing, it’s easy enough to export wav files, cheers for the tip!

1 Like

I appreciate your attempts to find logic here, but if someone at Steinberg really thinks that the current implementation is useful they’ve completely missed WHY we asked for this feature in the first place. We need quick, efficient ways of showing clients what we’re working on as it’s in progress. This doesn’t do that.

I’ll check out your toolkit, though what I currently do is use Davinci Resolve to send work samples.

I just don’t get how a feature like this could be added without properly implementing it. It’s almost more frustrating that it’s there at all, taunting me, every day, with the dream of a slightly more efficient workflow… :tired_face:

@GPnicolett , I totally get it buddy. But I think you’re being too harsh. Yes, they could do it better, but if they made it the way you (and others) expect it to be, it would be really useless to others, because you can’t improve a low bitrate video while you can shrink a higher bitrate video down if you see what I mean.
Just try my ER Media ToolKit and you’ll see how easy it is to shrink those videos down, prepare videos for work in your DAW, replace audio in existing videos, and much more. I created it only to solve my own video production issues in my own studios and everyone who uses it find it extremely helpful too, some even say it’s more than one could expect from such a small tool. Try it free for three weeks and I can almost promise you you’ll fall in love, maybe even beat yourself up for not hearing about it earlier;)

1 Like

Everyone should use ER Media ToolKit. It’s my MOST used tool and makes sending reviews super EASY. Even if Nuendo made the render size not ridiculous, unless they used the same technique of just swapping the audio channel instead of re-encoding the whole video, I wouldn’t use it anyway.

ER Media is a godsend and Sagi has been super helpful with it. It takes me less than 1 minute to build a revision for directors. And it converts h.264 to ProRes in record time too. I can’t recommend it enough. I’d pay 4 times the price for it.

1 Like