Cubase 10.5 Video export file size is huge

I remember from when I trialled the product (many, many months ago), use of the automatic post-processing mechanism inside Cubendo’s Export Mixdown dialog, that loads resultant output straight in to ER ToolKit for ‘replace audio’ duties say, was a real workflow ace up its sleeve. It meant I could leave the clients (lightweight) video intact and resign myself to using a copy solely for inside the DAW (=bloated file size).

1 Like

Exactly!

Besides, I don’t think Steinberg will be coming back round this way again for some time - I mean, Alan Silvestri has said he’s happy working with the new video engine/facility… so there’s that… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@Sagi - can the tool import Marker Track info from Cubendo.? Sorry, I know I should just go and read the manual again…

1 Like

My workflow used to be

• Open video files from producer in DaVinci Resolve
  • Export in 1/4 size, low bitrate (Could not get smooth playback in Cubase without massively cutting down the video file size.)
  • Import the low quality video in Cubase and do my work
  • Export audio out from Cubase
  • Import the audio back into DaVinci Resolve with the full size video
  • Export it out from Resolve

This cumbersome and lengthy process has been cut in half by using ER Toolkit.

I very much understand the convenience of having video compression tools directly available in Cubase but am of the opinion that Steinberg resources would be better spent in other areas. If you’d ask me before I found ER Toolkit, I might have answered differently.
Thanks @Sagi !

1 Like

@mlib You have no idea how much it warms my heart to hear people enjoying it as you do. thank you very much for sharing. :pray:t2:

@Puma0382 , I’m not sure I understand the workflow you are suggesting with the Marker Track.
Two years ago, I created a special version of the ER tools, that one could export Cycle Markers from Cubendo and drop the output csv file on my software along with the related video, the app used the data in the cycle markers to burn the cycle’s description text on the video at the in-out duration of each cycle marker. But that was a limited version for a specific facility needs. I’m guessing that’s not what you’re asking about here.

Hi @Sagi - yes, sorry I was a bit cryptic… I meant Cycle Markers data of course… I’d began thinking out loud and was just writing stuff down without purpose… :face_in_clouds:

Anyway, thanks for your further thoughts - you cottoned on correctly, and you’re actually close to what I’m dreaming about.! Only, instead of burning csv Cycle Info description text onto the video, how about using the embedded in-out data points to automatically set up the necessary timecode ranges in ER’s Video Trimming window (manual p30), so audio mixes are matched to their correct segment of video (for ‘Replace Audio’ tasks) and output achieved like that.?

What about handling several files (as separate outputs) in the same operation.?

Could it all be part of the ‘Post-Process’ mechanism from Cubendo’s Export Audio Dialog - (of course, in both cases, the csv file would need outputting and loading into ER before running the batch operation).?

Or is this still a largely manual task setting video in-out points, one by one, according to each job.?

Hi @Puma0382 , What you wish for actually exist but in a slightly different form. If you export several cycle markers as Broadcast wave files (BWF) and choose MediaER in the post process, all those files are automatically ’pushed’ to MediaER (Pro version only). Once there, you can load them (one by one, sorry) into the video trimming feature that already exists in the app and drag in the video, the app grabs the timecode within the BWF audio files and trims the video accordingly, produces a new short video with the audio that matches it.
As you can see it’s not completely automatic, so it takes a few steps for each audio to produce its corresponding video, but once you master it, it should be very fast and easy.
One thing to keep in mind though, because the app needs to cut the video, it will never be an audio replacement process, it actually renders a new video file, so it takes longer time than just replacing the audio in an already existing video.

Ah.! Ok, thanks @Sagi - I already know about achieving this manually.!

The Pro version remains a wishlist purchase here. Nice tip about using BWF files. Re-render for output is always a drag - hoping it can become avoidable…

And the v2.1.23 is still latest/greatest.? Guess I was fishing for any signs of updates/improvements to automate, extend or speed up the ToolKits functions/processes, helping it be even more convenient and powerful… Good luck to you anyway.!

And hey, I think we’ve hijacked the thread enough - apologies to OP and others.!

Hi @Puma0382 , currently 2.1 is the latest official release, but 2.2 is on the way with three times faster h264 render on Mac systems and about the same on Windows machine but only if you have a great graphics card, as it powered by hardware GPU to create a faster render.

All the best,
Sagi

1 Like

I just ran into this anomaly. I already had a very large video file, 2 hours long, for which I remixed the audio. The size of the video file was 16Gb, and the stereo mix audio file about 1.5Gb. The export of the original video with the new audio came to an astonishing 34 GB!
I don’t need compression of video files, nice though that would be. However I had assumed the video export would just be the same video file with the new audio replacing the old, thus more or less the same size as the original file. But no, it is assuming you want the highest resolution and has transcoded it upwards, without of course asking. And there is no option to just use the original file.
Major screw up Steinberg.
Of course I had to just replace the audio in a separate program, using the original video, and of course it was the same size on export. But why even give the export option in Nuendo with such a badly thought out and implemented function? Amazing really that it can double the size of your file with no benefit.

And just to show how nuts this implementation is, I also had a low res version of the video which was about 2GB. I tried that instead and guess what the resulting file size was exactly the same - 34Gb! Which goes to show it is using the length of the movie and transcoding it into a very high res version, without asking. And of course it took forever to write the file, at least an hour and a half. Exporting the large file with new audio in Logic, with the resultant file size, as expected, the same 16Gb. And it took about ten minutes.
You don’t need fancy transcoding or compression, just use the same video file, don’t mess with it, and attach the new audio, Simples. Or ought to be.

1 Like

It is pointless in my opinion to export video from Cubase.
I just export an audio mixdown and and send that to the editor. Alternatively I would combine the video and audio in Resolve or by using FFmpeg.