Cubase 10.5 w/ Behringer X-Touch

Interested to know who’s using this combo and what his/her experience is? Thanks!

I use it with a Mac, works great for me. I also have a foot pedal connected to the back of the X-Touch so I can start/stop recording with my foot - very handy when playing guitar! I also have lots of shortcuts programmed on the function buttons which makes my workflow a lot easier.

As usual, you’ll need to make or buy your own overlay as some of the buttons don’t match up to their Cubase functions but there’s plenty of resources online. I just used a label-maker as a cheap solution to re-label things. Oh, and if you don’t get the transport display working on the X-Touch (digital readout at top showing position of playback cursor), you’ll just need to make sure you’re on the latest X-Touch firmware. Mine shipped with an older firmware but as soon as I upgraded everything worked fine.

Let me know if there’s any other questions you have.

Cubase with X-Touch/Mackie MCU/ QconPro/QconProX/ and several others who all operate under Mackie Protocol will generally behave the same.

I don’t have the X-Touch because I’m not cramped in a room for physical space and chose the QconPro which IMO has a heavier build, adjustable view scribble strip, and more space between channels which is closer to a real console. But without modifying the low 7-count characters that all MCU controllers follow, the QconPro and even Mackie MCU is a total mess. I always go into the Cubase editor and modify the characters to make them readable. With the X-touch, there is a physical space between the channels so this is not an issue…however you are still limited to I believe 7 characters.

For the rest of my comments, I’ll just copy/paste.This applies to any Mackie protocol controller:

First, be comopletely honest with yourself, and think exactly why you want either of those. If you want a simple DAW controller that has motorized faders, select, mute, solo, rec, and pan for 8 channels plus a master fader…then buy either one. They also come with a transport control, 8 programmable functions buttons and a jog wheel. There is no need to spend lots of research time if you are happy with just the basics.

But the issue usually becomes “I want it to do more than that.”

Heres 8 pages about complaints and the so-called perfect controller…that really doesn’t exist because everyones wishes are different. If you Google you will discover dozens of GS threads about this almost since the beginning of DAWs. Users keep wishing…hoping…because everyones desires are a bit different.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1281825-game-changing-control-surface-do-you-want-one.html\

If someone suggests the Behringer, it does have better character read-out because the channel display is physically separated. But I could also give you several disadvantages of the X Touch not to mention lighter build, no adjustable scribble strip, and IMO way overly compact.

Also, are you willing to live with a DAW controller that won’t auto-bank? This means focusing channel 1 on Cubase and channel 1 on your Mackie will focus. But then focus channel 10 on Cubase and the Mackie doesn’t switch banks to channel 10. You have to manually switch banks to see channel 10 in focus on the mackie. If you focus channel 64 on Cubase, you are going to have to press the bank button on the Mackie 8 times to get to channel 64.

They say a controller can do much more than just what I described in the first paragraph and that is true. But do you want to press buttons and combination of buttons simply to navigate to the position of where you can edit a VST? A mouse to move a parameter is usually much quicker. Also while you can customize the Cubase Controller Editor for any VST, however you are still limited to the 8 pan knobs before pressing the bank button for the next bank of 8.

In my opinion, it’s just not very fun and more time-consuming than a simple mouse…unless just using the basics described in the first paragraph.

Sorry for being a killjoy but if you genuinely desire faster workflow with Cubase, and you feel you are maxing out and/or really know your key commands and especially the Cubase LE and PLE functions plus Cubase macros, then definitely consider buying a cheap used iPad and $14 Metagrid. In my opinion, that provides 10x the amount of improved workflow over any DAW controller…unless you are only looking for the basics as described above.

I use one with 1.15 firmware, works perfectly, and I have a template I sit over controls that someone posted a while back. Never an issue. And as someone who owned a full Mackie setup including the rare C4 Pro, I love my Behringer better :slight_smile:.

I use one with both Sonar and Cubase. It’s fantastic, a great tool, and a way better buy than the mackie.

I have a Behringer X-Touch and I love it!!
Great for fader balancing and automation and I also programmed the 8 function buttons (actually 6 because I use the last two for page down, page up navigation) for key commands with the generic remote with several pages.
So for example if I am sequencing some backing tracks the 8 buttons give me quantize, logical presets for randomizing velocities, humanizing tempo, etc, If I am recording audio, the 8 buttons give me commands for adding new tracks, detecting silence, crossfades, etc.

The X-Touch is very good for opening a plugin and tweak its parameters with the rotary encoders.

I use my iPad (with cubase ic Pro) next to the X-Touch for key commands with visual tags and the workflow is extremely fast and fun!!

I think you just need to learn how to program the things you use the most and take the time to know your controller.

I had an X-Touch in the Cubase 9.x days, and it worked fine with Cubase. However, I ultimately sold it and bought an actual Mackie MCU. The things that bothered me may or may not be important to you.

There were some initial frustrations trying to figure out how to do particular things on the X-Touch because there is absolutely zero customer support from Behringer. And I do mean zero. There are some video tutorials that are very well done, but they all focus on Logic users and there’s none for Cubase. There’s a user forum but even that is sparsely populated. Eventually a few folks helped me out and I got things working.

One of the biggest problems for me was the angle of the LCDs. The X-Touch LCDs are flush mounted with the unit, so it’s really designed to sit on an office desk where you look down at it. Trying to view them from an angle, like you would meters on a mixer, was almost unreadable. I eventually stuck a rolled up towel underneath the back to tilt it at about a 30 degree angle. LCDs were readable at that point but still not optimal. Plus, a pretty clumsy setup having to prop up with a towel.

Another thing that bugged me was the build quality. It’s a plastic unit, the faders and jog wheel feel cheap, and that’s all understandable. The unit is cheap. $600 for the X-Touch versus $1200 for a Mackie MCU. However, the Mackie is metal and built like a tank. It also has a perpendicular display for the LCDs, and the price wasn’t an issue for me. So, I replaced the Behringer with the Mackie and have been very happy with the latter.

Of all the things I listed, the most important thing you should consider is placement and the ability to view the LCDs. You really need to be looking almost straight down at them, so if you’re able to sit at a desk where it’s directly under you it should work fine, although you may get a stiff neck after a long session.

That said, as long as you can read the displays, at half the price of an MCU it’s a good bang for the buck.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I use the X touch ONE and was wondering have you guys the same 'issue" that you always have to start it first and then Cubase?
Otherwise it won’t be recognized by Cubase.
My M Audio USB keyboard is always recognized in Cubase, even when turning it on after Cubase has started. I thought that is the way it should be.

I have an X touch One also which I bought chiefly to have a fader available for automation which I prefer to using a mouse. I am also using it in its custom Mackie Mode with buttons set up the way I wanted them.

If you forget to start it before starting Cubase, you can go into the remote set up page in Cubase and press reset on the Mackie page to which your x touch is assigned, and then your X touch should then kick in. Works for me that way anyway!

and you don’t lose the settings for the buttons you made (i made a few in the HUI settings in cubase) when you push reset?

No, pressing reset shouldn’t change those alterations you have made. I have changed quite a few myself (on Mackie Control remote page here, not Mackie Hui). It just seems to ‘reboot’ itself and start the X Touch One sync.

tried it and it works, thanks a lot!

Can you please Post a link to That template

well it works, barely. Compared to near seamless feels like it was built for the app integration with Logic X, Cubase integration is VERY lacking and not terribly stable. some times controls lock out and quit working, especially the transport controls. in logic you can just power the X touch up and down, in CuB you have to quit the app, repower the xTouch then start Cub again. really poor and not really what I’d expect. many of the buttons are also either not implemented in CuB or work incorrectly. its at best about a 50-60% implementation.

I bought this. It’s a magnetic overlay for Cubase Pro. I’m happy with it.

I made some customization using cubase + MaxMSP (or Puredata) to enhance the experience using X-Touch + Cubase.
It made my life so much easier.

Hello! I have been referring lots of forum posts to your video ever since you initially wrote that solution in VI control. You even said that you had “fixed” the issue that plagues most Mackie Control protocol users of no auto-banking.

The thing is…your solution is just bloody complicated for a simple musician guy like me. I love that you have achieved this. You could probably sell this solution if you could somehow package it all together so the end-user just makes a few clicks. :laughing: Of course, it needs to be a total solution so when someone re-installs Cubase or changes their DAW Mackie Control Protocol controller…they can also re-install the solution that makes this work.

For myself at least…what amount would I pay a developer so I could click on Cubase channel 64…and my QconPro would autobank to channel 64…instead of me pressing the bank button 8 times? It would bring back a lot of functionality. :mrgreen:

Ehehe… I know it’s too nerdy to make it work. But I love all kinds of nerdy/progamming/geek stuff and it was the only solution I came out and I have no idea how to “pack things” to make it simpler. Unfortunately.

I’ve “fixed” the autobank thing indeed (among other things) but it has some limitations/bugs and that’s why I didn’t released it but it works pretty well most of the time. That patch on the video has grown QUITE A BIT over the time. Now I have 2 10inch monitors over each Xtouch and the monitors show the levels and also the scribble strips text which is WAY better to read than the poor XTouch display. And everything is controlled by the patch.

Anyway, I know it’s not for everyone and most of this stuff should also be implemented in cubase instead of a workaround like this. But unfortunately, it seems that MCU functionalities of cubase are the same for a looong time and I don’t see it changing in a near future.

Cheers,
PG

Hi pgstudio,

I love the Behringer X-Touch its a super DAW. I can handle the nerdy stuff to make it work haha. :mrgreen: But before i take a dive in to this, is it also possible with the Pure Data or max to use it to control the settings of a VST instrument like for example an Sampler or Synth ?

Seems its integrated with Logic. Seems its possible as i see the info on max, do you have some experience with this ?

I work with the Free VST TX16Wx Software Sampler, Witch is a great piece of Software sampler, used to work with Roland S-330 Sampler in the past :slight_smile: This TX16Wx is doing the job perfect like the parameters i use to have on a Roland.