Cubase 11.5 come out, come out, wherever you arešŸ˜‰

I just want a no dongle system and a normal start up just like any other daw! In FL you click the icon and opens, same in Ableton or studio one. In Cubase you have all that scanning evertime you use the program and is a pain

Cubase has been getting a new coat of paint every releaseā€¦sinceā€¦ the first release. What exactly is not modern about it right now?

I quote
Aesthetic sensibility matters: the way text is formatted, colors, events/regions, waveforms, analysis tools embedded logically, visual feedback, smoothness, etc. Things can look beautiful/inviting and be functional. Ableton does it well in a minimalist wayā€”they care. Logic is cognizant of this. Pro Tools has its own charm.
I quote again
Inconsistent Design:

• Thereā€™s absolutely no consistency with design
  • There is no common design language.
  • Inconsistent colors, buttons and dialog boxes.
  • Any symbol can represent anything

This was written in 2019 from the Steinberg forum simply searchā€¦
There has not changed muchā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah i just installed Windows 11 (on non-DAW machine).

A graphics makeover is only superficial if the underlying issues are still thereā€¦

I can see it now, early adopters crying on Cubase 11.5 not working on Win 11 and screaming how it kills their productivityā€¦lmao.

The $6k price for the loaded version seems is a bit ā€¦ much ā€¦ As a shareholder, I wish them the best of luck with that, though :slight_smile:

Yeah I feel for windows users as the forum seems more weighted towards windows issues than Mac. Cubase runs great on a Mac.

Weird comment you gave though about early first adopters. If no one ever bought the updates steinberg would be screwed and no doubt updates would suffer even more without the steady revenue.

1 Like

Well looks like as a shareholder youā€™re luck is in. Theyā€™re backlogged on orders till December at the earliest. Itā€™s a sales blow out.

Yeah I only installed Win11 on my non-DAW machine.

My Cubase machine will run Win10 for a whileā€¦

Still, in the case of Mac and Windows, the updates have been scheduled and documented for a long time, with full support for developers. Is it unreasonable to wish that Steinberg would try to make Cubase compatible during the developer-access phase?
Even if there are no benefits for Cubase, it would allow users to gain benefits of other software?
The idea that we have to keep a dedicated PC and/or stay on old versions of the OS just for Cubase seems sad.

No one really has native CPU performance, unless you use only stock plug-ins or cherry pick what plug-ins and virtual instruments you use to an extreme degree. If you use one x86 plug-in, then you must run the entire DAW under Rosetta 2.

The limiting factor in creative software is NOT the DAW. Itā€™s the stuff you use in the DAW.

Plug-ins, Virtual Instruments, Samplers, etc.

Example: If Kontakt is not M1 Native and you need it, then you still need to run Logic Pro X, Studio One, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, etc. under Rosetta 2. The only DAW that has developed a solution to work around this is Bitwig Studio.

This is precisely why I returned my M1 MBP (16GB, 1TB). It didnā€™t make sense to buy into these ARM machines, because I still had to run every major creative software package on the machine under Rosetta 2, even if they were M1 Native. That, or ditch the plug-ins, etc. that I own and start looking for M1 Native Stuff to replace it just so I canā€¦ say that Iā€™m getting better CPU performance?

I decided that it wasnā€™t worth it until Apple was done with their 2 year transition.

Once they remove Rosetta 2 from the platform, then I will reevaluate and see if it is worth it - based on what vendors have ported over and how much money Iā€™d be forced to spend to upgrade software to be compatible (because lots of developers will wait as long as possible to get as much revenue out of this as possible).

I can see Native Instruments waiting until Kontakt 7/Komplete 14 to offer Native M1 versions of Kontakt and many of their Synths/Samplers/Virtual Instruments, for example.

Cubase 11 works fine on Windows 11. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m running, on both of my machines.

The only thing that broke was the eLicenser. My Soft Elicenser was locked/invalidated by the upgrade. I just deleted the file to get rid of the error message and moved on, since ā€¦ dongle life.

However, that would have been problematic if the software was only on the Soft-eLicenser; which has made me rethink how good the move off the dongle is actually going to be, if they do it by using the software eLicenser system. I think Iā€™ll actually stay on the dongle after seeing what can happen during OS upgrades, etc. to those files/licenses.

You can always delete the stock content and it will start up quite fast. The content is whatā€™s being scanned. Even if you get rid of the dongle, it will still have to scan the content to verify the licenses, etc. because Steinberg wonā€™t do an install-only license check (as this makes pirating the library content too easyā€¦ Iconica Opus would show up on Warez sites within hours).

Iā€™m curious to know what kind of performance gains cubase has even with just Rosetta. I seem to remember reading here and there that it was still really good?

Rosetta 2 is for compatibility. You arenā€™t going to get native performance with it.

I can also build a new daw that will open right away. All the daws that have a fast startup have factory content and you donā€™t have to remove it to start fast

Most DAWs have really crap browsers. Cubase does not, and what makes browsing the content so good is the fact that it scans the content so that it is available in Media Bay. If you donā€™t use the content, then delete the files or move them to a directory that isnā€™t scanned (in case you want them later) and the DAW will start up faster.

Cubase doesnā€™t take long to boot on my machine, but I keep stock content on the NVMe drive. Iā€™m not sure what kind of setup youā€™re running. Itā€™s simply not an issue for me. The DAW basically never crashes, and I donā€™t spend my day closing it and starting it back up.

You can close and load a different project without shutting the DAW down.

Studio One [for example] takes as long, if not longer, than Cubase to boot up on my machines. I donā€™t really see reason to complain about this, personally.

Really? What a drag! I expected a host/plugin architecture would be better at this sort of thing.

I donā€™t even want anything else.
Please update only one. please.
In this Cubase 11.5 update, please make some freeze shortcut keys.
pleaseā€¦

Youā€™re going to love the new ā€œFreeze Managerā€ (in my imagination).
Shows all channels available to be frozen/unfrozen. Simply check the ones you want and click OK.
Only took a few hours to code, but will save significant time for thousands of users.
Itā€™s worth the price of the free update on its own.
#satire #nothappening

For me, the best thing that Steinberg introduced is vertical zooming with The mousewheelā€¦
It so pleasant and simplifies everything.
Steinberg again 1A masterful.
I knew that Steinberg is the Fc Bayern of the DAW industry.
I could cry with happiness :pray:

1 Like

We better clearly indicate when weā€™re being sarcastic, or people will get sad. :slight_smile:

I understand that in Cubase ctrl-mousewheel does horizontal zoom, shift-mousewheel does horizontal scroll. These are great. I use them all the time.

But for vertical zoom, there is no mousewheel option? I have set up keyboard shortcuts for zoom-to-tracks etc. but it would be great if eg. ctrl-shift-mousewheel emulated the vertical zoom you get from shift-H and shift-G. I experimented with programming a Contour Shuttlexpress to do this kind of thing, and it worked. But yeah, once again, this seems like something it would be trivial for Steinberg to implement.

If there is already a way to vertical-zoom using mousewheel, someone please share it?

1 Like