Cubase 11 + M1 + OS11 Mac

Don’t have an UR28M so I cant answer that.

Just updated to Bug Sur 11.1 and it broke Cubase 11 in a weird way. All I see are purple windows with no content. Tried deleting the preferences but it didn’t work. Will do a little more digging and see if I can get it back again.

1 Like

we wait for your news

1 Like

same issue i just install cubase pro 11 trial version on my new macbook air M1 with the last version Bigsur 11.1 and the only thing i have is a pink screen ?
i’ve not try on previous bigsur 11.0 so i didn’t know if it works before ?
Someone know if we can do anything with particulary settings ?
sorry for my english i’m from france :wink:

1 Like

Have tried Cubase 11 on an Intel Mac running Big Sur 11.1 and it runs fine there, so my theory is that it must be related to Big Sur 11.1 on Apple Silicon/M1. Cubase 10.5 and 10.0 does not have the same issue and seems to be running fine.

I might try 11.2 beta on my M1 MacBook Air over the holidays to see if that changes anything.

It is early days for Apple Silicon and I know that Cubase is not officially supported on it yet, but from what I have seen performance wise so far with Rosetta2, I am really looking forward to the power of a native M1 Cubase version.

2 Likes

Yeah, same thing here - pink/purple blank screens…
Hey Henrik, have you managed to resolve this issue yet…?
Interestingly, Steinberg Wavelab 10 opens and works flawlessly.
Hopefully Steinberg will not update it to ver 11 :wink:

2 Likes

Nope. Have not had the time yet but I’ll keep you posted,

1 Like

Not sure if it is Steinberg or Apple issue now…
Cubase 10.5 works ok under BS 11.1, but ver 11 doesn’t…
Steinberg is historically very late with their product updates.
I bet they have no idea how to recompile Cubase using Xcode.
Maybe in 6 months time Cubase will be M1 compatible, but for now I’m switching to Logic and Rosetta 2 certified hosts such as Live and Reason

1 Like

My guess is, it has something to do with the Metal integration in C11 (same with N11 btw.). If you open the C11 package and replace “libgraphics2d.dylib” in Contents → MacOS with the version from C10, graphics will work again, but C11 will crash (unsurprisingly) when you actually open a project.

1 Like

I confirm that cubase 11 has a pink screen on M1, Big Sur 11.1. Does anyone has a fix for this?

2 Likes

Same here, 10.5 works under rosetta 2, but C11 is giving me weird Graphics glitches. I hope Steinberg fixes that soon. Also it is important to mention, that their M1 Version needs to be an updated Version of the Intel Version aswell, so that you can still run Cubase under Rosetta and have the Daw be emulate rather than ever single plugin which would be the case on a native M1 Version (unless all your third party plugin Vendors deliver soon too)

2 Likes

Have you manager to Hook Any Steinberg sound card to M1 or do you have Any Tips on that?

Sounds plausible. Could be a change to either Metal or Rosetta2 in regards to Metal in Big Sur 11.1 or both that has caused the issue, since both Cubase 10.5 and 10 works fine. Or the way Steinberg uses the Metal API’s that triggers either a bug in Big Sur. Have been in software development in 30 years and have seen that quite often.

Ww still have to keep in mind, though, that Cubase is not supported on Apple Silicon, so I’m sure Steiny is working on it.

1 Like

Just tried Big Sur 11.2 Public Beta 2. Same issue here with pink/purple windows

I have the same problem with Groove Agent on my Mac mini A1, I am using Elements 10.5 at the moment and everything else seems ok.

Unfortunately Cubase 11 has quite bugs. On M1 with Big Sur 11.1 doesn’t work, altrough I had at least another 100 installers without any issues under Rosetta 2. On Big Sur with intel processors has also little graphical issues (specially with Groove Agent but also with the eq in channel view and some windows management). A lot of plug-ins (specially Steven Slate’s one) will crash Cubase. On windows when you click the sampler track will unpin the window, plus some windows management issues too. When I made a comment about this issues that make Cubase 11 unusable (at least for me) on Steinberg’s Facebook, the person who managed the page was rude and treated me like a hater, answering that my PCs have problems, not the Software. After I had installed 10.5 again and seen that everything is working perfectly on M1, on Intel and Windows, I must say that Cubase 11 is (as a lot of people say) in beta. I actually paid 100€ for a software that I’ve uninstalled.

1 Like

Well, this forum topic is about Cubase 11 running on Macs with Apple M1 CPU, not intel.
Btw; Cubase 10.5 runs ok on M1 Macs, it’s ver 11 that is screwed up…

That’s a bummer, obviously it’s Steinbergs issue. Let’s hope they will fix this issue ASAP

In all fairness, Steiny does not support any Cubase version on Apple Silicon yet, so we can’t really be on their backs for a fix. Could also be an Apple/Rosetta 2 issue, since it worked fine for me on Big Sur 11.01, but neither on 11.1 nor 11.2.

Might be that apple fixed something that made the Cubase code crash. I am in software development myself and have had the same thing happen for me. Everything works fine until something is fixed in the frameworks you use and then you realise that your own code has a flaw that you didn’t find because the framework allowed it.

Let’s hope that an update is coming.