Cubase 11 / Win10 - FabFilter plugins automatically change window size when reopened

@Matthias_Quellmann, @Arne_Scheffler, @Armand seems like it’s not fully fixed :frowning:

In 11.0.40/41 there’s another issue with my FabFilter plugins.
Already added plugin maintains its size, but newly added plugins randomly scales bigger and bigger.

Here’s a video with demonstration of the bug and my Win 10/Cubase settings:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zogjLVYT9sTSMcVOCxccfYYGnMB8Qtr1/view?usp=sharing

Hi Serge!

Thanks for your report and your video. Greatly appreciated.

I might be wrong but I’m under the impression that you’re dragging those windows from a 4K monitor to a LoDPI monitor (or with a different scaling factor)? If yes, we are aware of some issues here on our side. Or is it just happening when the window originally shows up on your monitor (so without dragging it to another monitor)

Cheers,
Armand

Hi Armand,

The top monitor (where the plugin window opened initially on a video) is 1080p one, the one I’ve captured from is 1440p. Both have the same scaling factor 125%. Dragging windows between the displays works well for me, actually.

Just tested, this also happens when the plugin window opens on the 1440p one initially. The next plugin I add appears bigger then the first one, the same behavior as in the video above.

I’ve also tried one more case. Disconnected cables for all the monitors, except the 1440p one. The behavior stays the same - reopening the same plugin keeps the windows size intact, but adding a new instance leads to increasing of the window size.

Thanks,
Sergey

I see that you have altered the HiDPI setting for Cubase in the Windows Compatibility Properties pane. Please remove the “Override high DPI scaling behavior” check mark. That should not be set.

Hi @Arne_Scheffler, thanks for tuning in.

Without any dpi compatibility settings FabFilter plugins still resize everytime I add the new instance. Here’s the new screen recording with a demonstration of the issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YUzCcbGouAk13aJfcmqJhbAIwGmXvXgc/view?usp=sharing

Although, I found that if I set DPI setting to “System”, the plugins stop resizing automatically. But that way all UI in cubase become uncomfortably blurry, as I’ve shown in the post above.

Let me know if you need any info from me to resolve this.

Cheers,
Sergey

It’s a mystery for me why the UI is blurred. That doesn’t make any sense. Are you sure that you have turned on HiDPI inside of Cubase? Blurred UI only happens normally when something is drawn into a smaller area and then up-scaled. But that is exactly what Cubase prevents when running in HiDPI mode.
Maybe there’s some other setting in the Windows system that provokes this? Do you have any setting in the “Advanced Scaling Setting” on the Display Settings pane?

@Arne_Scheffler Yup, HiDPI is enabled. image.
Everyting is blurred when DPI compatibility is set to System, not only the Cubase UI, but also the
plugins and even the Windows native dialogs that are opened from Cubase (like a file/folder picker).

In the windows advanced scaling settings there’s a checkbox “Let Windows try to fix apps so they’re not blurry” turned on. I’ve tried to disable it and run Cubase again, it didn’t change anything.

Sorry, I’m out of ideas why this happens to you. Maybe some other Steinberg colleague has other ideas, I’ve asked around.

Thanks anyway.

Just to expand the info about my configuration:
The main display is 1440p 23.8" Dell P2418D, video card is 3060TI with the latest 496.49 driver.
There are also two 1080p displays connected, both with the 125% scaling as well. Tried physically disconecting additional displays - the behavior stays absolutely the same, with “Application” or disabled DPI compatibility settings FabFilter plugins resize themselves, with “System” settings - Cubase’s blurry.

Also, playing around with the different settings combinations I’ve found that for the 1440p display both 100% and 150% windows scaling & disabled DPI compatibility settings work fine - Cubase looks sharp and FabFilter plugins maintain their size with new instances. It’s only 125% scaling that makes plugins go nuts. But it’s the one I’m comfortable using and it works fine for everything else. With 100% scaling and “System” DPI setting Cubase looks sharp, with 150% is also blurry as with 125%.

Let me know if there’s any info or settings combinations needed to pinpoint the issue, I’m happy to provide!

Bug reported CAN-38297

2 Likes

I have the same problem.
There’s only a problem with 125%.
There’s no problem with 100-110%
I’m using a 55-inch 4k monitor.
125% is absolutely necessary.

Same issue with reFX Nexus4 (Win 10, scaling 125%, Cubase 11, HiDPI enabled, GTX 560 Ti, 1920x1200). No issues with FabFilter, only Nexus.

Encountered this issue for a while with Cubase, got better with updates but is still not entirely gone. I normally use 125% scaling, with 100% scaling there is no issue. Bug is even more extreme with Wavelab, though, where window size appears to grow exponentially.

It would already help if the window size was clamped to the screen size so at least the size presets remain clickable.

The described behavior still there in Cubase 12, every inserted FabFilter plugin opens with a window that gets bigger each time.

cc: @Armand

1 Like

12.0.10. The issue is STILL here, despite FabFilter guys saying on their forum that 12.0.10 will contain the fix.

Honestly, I’m getting a bit tired of not being able to use my FabFilter plugins comfortably for more than a year. Any ETA, maybe?

Just curious, it has been a year…

Does everyone who uses this plugin(s) in combination with Cubase and Windows, have this problem? Or just a few people?

If it’s just a few people, I’m also curious, in a years time - have you done a clean reformat from the ground up install of the OS and updated mobo firmware, and reinstalling all your drivers and software from scratch as well? Sometimes this solves weird problems. It has for me… Not for this particular problem, just in general.

I have the issue on both my PC and my laptop. The issue reproduces with 125% scaling only, which is pretty common for 15.6" laptops with 1080p resolution. On a PC it’s a 27" display with 1440p, which is pretty common combination too. My PC was built from the ground up a year ago, with a clean installation both for Windows and all the software, so yeah, I’ve done it.

Hmm. I myself, as I have done in the past, would be tempted to do another more thorough clean install, researching all components and their proper install procedure. I would install Cubase and these plugins/required auth software, first as early in the process as possible, and then test each step of the way as I install everything else… Windows update, graphics, windows tweaks etc, etc. It only takes a day, at most, two. That’s just me though.

I’m not sure what point are you trying to make?

The bug was aknowledged by BOTH Steinberg and FabFilter teams. I’ve have it reproducible on TWO different computers with different configurations. The PC was built from an absolute scratch in march 2021, AFTER the issue was detected on my laptop. Plugins worked fine on Cubase 10.5. It’s been an issue since Cubase 11. For Cubase 12 it’s still there. How reinstalling everything would help?

Wait, they said in the official forum that the fix will be in next release?

Never mind then, 12.0.1 isn’t out yet is it?

If the current version is 12.0.1, then they probably meant the first patch which hasn’t been released yet