Cubase 12 crashing

I hate to be unkind, but Cubase 12 is garbage. Like so many of you, my Cubase 12 crashes or just stops responding (mostly). I would suggest that Steinberg puts on its big-boy pants on and gets Cubase 12 up to pro-level. As for me, I’m going back to Cubase 11. Steinberg has wasted enough of my time.

2 Likes

I’ve had to be super careful and live in fear :smiley: I’ve been using their multi freeze track on everything now and closely monitoring the CPU meter which I end up pushing to the max immediately.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Could you attach your crash/dmp file(s), please?

Martin…I’ve sent my report to Steinberg 4-5 times. I am in the middle of a scoring job for a series. Just can’t spend anymore time on this. As stated, I’m back on Cubase 11 and doing just fine.

5 Likes

Hello.
For me it’s also getting annoying. I’m not able to finish my Remix because whenever I want to add just a single more track with only one kick on it, as soon as I let it run in a short loop (say 1-2 Bars) it will run for some seconds to up to 2-3 minutes and then it instantly crashes after I moved around within the project (scrolling over the screen).

My ASIO Load during this is around 40%. So I don’t think that my system is overloaded in anyway.

I’m running Win 10 on a ASUS MB, 32GB RAM, Ryzon 9 5900X.

Cubase is not even creating a crash dumb, so I can’t attach it here. Sorry.

Hint:
I think it always crashes when I move and click with the mouse and change the Locators, because then I see short-term peak in the Disk Cache Load Performance Panel.

Kind Regards
Paddy

Hi,

Could you please provide more details? When does your Cubase freeze, please?

Hi,

Both of the freeze dumps are in the Vienna Ensemble. Please, get in contact with VSL.

Another thing I noticed in the last days. It seems that it most often crashes when using “time manipulating” Plugins.

Hi,

Could you attach any crash/dmp file, please?

Hi Martin. As I wrote above, I not even get a crash dump file. I don’t know why?
The last one is from September 12th. Could it be that it moved after an update to another folder?

Regards
Paddy

Hi,

No, the dmp files are in the same folder.

Hello Martin,

thanks. I contacted VSL about this matter.

Here are more crashdumps attached and I don’t know if VIE ENS is causing the crashes in Cubase 12. Please check.

Thanks,
Christian
Cubase 12.0.40.317 64bit 2022.9.26 19.45.54.699-freezedump.dmp (957.2 KB)
Cubase 12.0.40.317 64bit 2022.9.29 20.24.13.106-freezedump.dmp (709.1 KB)

Hi,

Yes, these crashes are in Vienna Ensemble.

With Cubase 12 related crashes across so many different platforms and configurations, and being used for both home projects all the way up to professional installations, perhaps the next Cubase ‘feature’ should be a subroutine that catches a misbehaving plugin before it can take the whole project down and simply disables them inside the project, before they can. A kind of realtime sandboxing if you will. Blacklisting is great for the obvious, older plugs but, still allows plugs that occasionally crash.
The Crash Reporter is a great start to this concept but doesn’t always create a report.
I realize that this is coming from someone who is not a programmer and probably a can of worms but heh, we can dream.

2 Likes

I had in the meantime another crash, but for my original crash, I still didn’t get any report out of it :-(.

I will attach the last crash report anyway.

Cubase 12.0.40.317 64bit 2022.10.13 22.44.20.005-freezedump.dmp (2.1 MB)

Hello everybody.
I just updated to the 0.5 version but I still have crashes (freezes most of the time). Unfortunately, freedump are empty with this last version.
Do people still have same crashes issues?
Thanks

Crashes when changing audio outputs

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\BLACK GURU.dll

The Black Guru.dll plugin caused the crash for you.

I have also got a lot of crashdowns or the programme (Artist) freezes upon start up; all happended after I upgraded to 12.0.51. I have downgraded to 12.0.50, but the problem still occur.

Hi,

Attach the crash/dmp/freeze files, please.

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps