Cubase 12 freezes on project close

But like this all changes you made in the settings/last project opened/etc. will not be saved, or does it?

I find it really strange, that for a lot of people the “freeze on exit” seems to be solved, while other still have it.
I am on Win11 21H2 (i7 8700K, Nvidia GT 1030, Antelope Audio Zenstudio) and since C12.0.30 all crashes on exit are gone.

Would you people mind sharig your system info/devices/audio interface? Maybe it has to do with certain CPUs, OS, GPUs, audio drivers etc. I suspect the audio driver, as it seems this happens when Cubase wants to release the driver on exit.

This happens only on my laptop and never happens on my desktop PC.

I noticed that after latest update (to 12.0.30 ) freezes on quit became less frequent.

Not sure if this is related, but on laptop I I am using Asio4all driver (to use my integrated audio), and on PC I am using external USB audio interface.

Yeah right - The project will not occur on the last project open list. And as I said, my steps were helpful at different times and versions of Cubase, but I still have these freezes.

But I’m very sure it has nothing to do with hardware. Because I’m using different Laptops and Computers and the problem occurs on EVERY computer. They are all new and always updated. I keep everything pretty clean. Cause unlike other I believe in UPDATES not in meandering in versions from the mid 90ies while telling young folks “never change a running…blablabla” hahaha.

I really think it is a (bunch of) virtual instrument. Or better said, a specific behaviour how certain virtual instruments are programmed to work. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but that’s my “feeling”. Sooorrrryyy not helpful, but I’m a pro and have no time to hunt down these kind of issues.
(Not to brag - just to explain why I cannot effort spending my time with a relatively minor problem, while I should make money making music or mixing. It’s a daily struggle.)

I really hope Steinberg will find a way of solving this slightly diffuse problem soon…

I also had this issue starting with 12.3 on windows 11. Most of the time when I closed and new or existing projects, cubase would just sit there waiting to close. I have 2 M.2 NVME drives…c drive is where cubase is installed. D drive is where my projects folder is. I export renders to my c drive as well.
I only use Windows built-in AV / Defender - I added an exclusion for my project and export folders and then was able to edit and save all my projects without a single crash or lockup in the past 24-36 hours…
I hope this helps some of you… if not let me know!

I have had the same problem for a long time. I think since Cubase 8. I have switched computers, updated to every new Cubase version and still can´t get rid of it. Usually when I work longer than an hour on a project, then it will freeze on close. Solving this bug would be nice.

Cubase Pro 12, Win 10

Cubase 12, Windows 10 here too. I don’t have this in general, but last time I identified TAL Vocoder as the culprit. My Cubase closes each time. Also after hours of use. All sorts of plugins and VSTis.

This has been an issue for some years now with Cubase. It’s also tied to other issues IMO where C doesn’t save I/O presets etc as it seems to save those .xml / .pxml files on shutdown. 3rd party plugs are always blamed but this issue doesn’t happen for me in either Studio One 5 or Protools - both of those seem perfectly happy with my plug library. I tend to blame Cubase for this - I can avoid it most times by selecting “Quit” and letting C ask me if I want to save my project (Yes) Cubase saves the project and closes cleanly most times = but then I have to start it up again to go to a different project - Selecting “Save” and then trying to open another project is a non starter. I think they have a code/memory/thread/resource (whatever) cleanup issue on project close.

My recommendation - don’t use any plugins with Cubase - runs fine most of the time then.

Hi, I just started having issues like the ones described in this thread. At first I noticed that Cubase would sometimes hang during shutdown, forcing me to shut it down manually in the task manager, and in the last couple of days this has started to happen basically every time I wish to shut down the program. Plus, when I then try to start Cubase again after the manual shutdown, my projects wont load. So I basically have to restart the computer, every time I want to open a new project.

I’m running Pro 12 on a Windows 11 machine.

Some more symptoms:

• After forcing a shutdown, I can open Cubase but not any of my projects inside Cubase.

• It seems I can open a project and close it again without any problems if I don’t actually hit play inside the project or do anything else in there.

• When trying to open my projects, Cubase usually freezes while loading the mix console, like this:
    Skærmbillede 2023-12-04 150006

• When trying to open Cubase after a forced shutdown I get this message:

And if I then check the box to deactivate all 3rd party plugins, Cubase opens just fine.

Following the suggestion of someone earlier in this thread, I have tried disabling the hub, which did nothing for me.

I have also tried reinstalling Cubase from the Download Assistant (though without deinstalling my faulty Cubase in Windows first – don’t know if that matters).

Here are a couple of my latest DMP-files:
Cubase 12.0.70.464 64bit 2023.12.4 14.59.27.866-freezedump.dmp (908.5 KB)
Cubase 12.0.70.464 64bit 2023.12.4 15.20.38.444-freezedump.dmp (1.0 MB)

I hope someone can decipher this and give me a hint as to how I might solve the problem.

Ok I suspect the problem is those 3rd party plugins. Since yesterday I’ve experienced a couple of “startup hangs”, where Cubase freezes while loading something called vstconnect.dll. At one point I also received this error message: “Application VST Connect has caused the following error: Process with the ID NOT found”.

Either something is off with my Pro 12 installation (I never had these issues while I was still using Artist) or some of my third party plugins are causing problems. So I would like to remove the third party plugins systematically in order to find the culprit(s). However, I don’t see any way of doing this. In the VST manager I can “hide” plugins put that seems like something purely cosmetic. There is an option to “unblock” plugins but apparently no option to block them.

Do I need to actually uninstall the plugins in Windows?

Just move all your plugin dlls to a folder on your desktop (or multiple folders relating to where they came from) and start Cubase. Then just add them back to the original folder location one by one u til you find the culprit. No need to uninstall them.

Have a look here: Cubase crash at shutdown (v11 v12 not got 13 yet) solution

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I’m a little unsure which dll’s to move though. The file paths listed in the plugin manager lead to vst3-files, not dll’s. And if I search for, to take an example, “waves dll” in my file explorer, I get 110 different files placed in various locations.

Plus, even if I manage to find dll’s for specific plugins, the various plugin companies tend to have additional “umbrella” software running in relation to their plugins. When I look in my task manager I see stuff like WavesPluginServer, WavesLocalServer, NIHardwareService and NIHostIntegrationAgent (from Native Instruments). I may as well be that stuff causing problems.

So if it isn’t possible to deactivate plugins one by one in Cubase it would probably be easier to just deinstall the plugins in batches, vendor by vendor. In fact I’m thinking of deinstalling everything, including Cubase, and then reinstalling things little by little. The whole situation seems fubar.

Thanks for the tip, Puli. I’ll keep an eye on the performance meter and see if it’s the same on my system.

Use the free OwlPlugin to scan your VST directories and you should see which one is causing the trouble.

This: https://owlplug.com/

? I can’t find a lot of information about what it does, but I may try it out.

Meanwhile, Cubase has started crashing midsession and robbing me of my time so now I’ve filed a support request with Steinberg. Hopefully they will take a look at the dmp-files and tell me what’s going on. I curse the day I upgraded to Pro.

With all respect, a quick review of their web site gives very little clues about what this is and why I want to add more variables into the VST situation.

My guess is that its primary purpose is to act as a bridge between VST and other plugin types.

A bit more explanation about what it is and why I would want to use it would be nice!

FYI: I’ve had SOME luck with closing the project(s) and allowing some time for the resources to free before closing Cubase. That said, I can’t say with certainty that this is a solution.

Well, I may have been a little quick to slander Pro 12, because it seems - knock on wood - like the problem may now be fixed.

I first deinstalled Cubase from Windows and reinstalled it again using the download assistant. No effect.

Next, I deinstalled a bunch of free plugins that I don’t really use anyway: Melodyne, Native Instruments Complete Start, Toneboosters “legacy suite”, and
Ujam Dandy. Still no effect.

I then deinstalled a few more freebies: Relab´s LX 480 Essentials as well as Stardust and DCO-106 by Cherry Audio. That seems to have done the trick. I have now opened and closed various projects 10-15 times without any issues at all - and that is after not having been able to open or close anything without crashes and restarts for the past week.

It almost seems a little too good to be true that it would just be a matter of removing a couple of plugins, but hopefully the system stays stable. So if anyone else is experiencing these issues, you may want to check your system for any Relab and Cherry Audio stuff as it appears that stuff may not play too well with Cubase.

Well, that lasted a glorious 72 hours. Now back to freezing on shutdown and having to restart computer to open new projects. Pfff.

I wonder if the problem is caused by trying to close Cubase too quickly after closing a project. When things went wrong this time, I noticed the reverb from a snare drum was still decaying when I pressed the x in the upper right corner. I just down understand how one overeager shutdown would continue to cause problems after restart of program/computer.

PS: Sorry to Relab and Cherry Audio for slandering you.

Indeed this works!!! And it seems that once you’ve done this one time, you do not have to run as admin again. It must be a lock on something like the preference file that is left behind.