Cubase 12 is coming in 2022

No. And you are not debating in good faith. The scenario in question, is one where the user bought an update and where the license they purchased would no longer exist in the old Elicenser model.

Yes, like me.

1 Like

Do dongle support == no buy. Online licensing will require updated license software, and it will stop support the OS version used it will require a total system update.
It might not be the plan, but it is what will happen.

1 Like

The e-licenser as far as I know will remain functional. They will not support any broken e-licensers, but one will be able to use it for as long as it physically lasts.

I activated my Cubase 11 Al 4 days ago (November 6, 2021). If I now purchase and activate the upgrade from Cubase Al to Cubase 11 Artist, will I also be covered by the grace priod? Even if it is an upgrade version?

Yes, that counts.

3 Likes

Good evening.
I registered Cubase 11 AI on March 23rd. But in the coming days I plan to buy Upgrade from AI to 11 Pro. Will I get Cubase 12 Pro for free?

Thanks!

Yes, also covered.

4 Likes

Wow. It’s sounds like awesome, Thanks!

1 Like

Matthias, thank you very much for this exciting piece of news! So I am looking forward to Cubase 12 in 2022…

What still is not clear to me, though, is: Once offline activation has been released, how do/can you differentiate between those that would like to renew their license every 30 days and those that wish to do so once in a year? Will the user be able to switch between a 30- and 365-day-period within the Steinberg Licensing Manager?

Or, to put it another way: I would like to try out C12 from the very start. So I would probably have to go for the 30-day-renewal period at the beginning. But once offline activation is available, I would rather prefer to have it renewed every 365 days. Will that be possible?

2 Likes

Will Windows 10 still be suported ?

Does this mean, two activated systems can be used simultaneously… and if that is true… Steinbergs system link tech could be utilized with one license under this new system?

1 Like

Reading through the whole thing and deciphering Steinberg’s language as best I can, it seems like there are multiple options open for different types of use cases, which so far is promising-ish. The year-long temporary dongle might be a decent compromise for people like me who actually appreciate the existing system. I just would rather not have to compromise with something that already works just how I like it.

5 Likes

What about in US dollars? Will it still be $99 for the upgrade?

Aaaargh… Produkt aktiviert am 25.10.2021

• Sigh - Someone has to bite the bullet.

So I got an email from Steinberg saying: " A New and Exciting Era Begins at Steinberg"
Am I supposed to be excited about a new copy protection system?
Well since I have been very happy with eLicenser I’m not excited at all.

If Steinberg hinted about amazing new features I’m sure that could spark some excitement, but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

Morten W. (paying Cubase user since VST24 3.6)

9 Likes

Yes, it is difficult to get excited about a new licensing system, especially when it’s going to be more onerous than the old one (which for me, worked just fine).

7 Likes

Actually, I am glad not to be an Apple Silicon Boy, since I’d feel now quite disappointed. With Cubase/Nuendo ckaiming a leading position in the market, Steinberg is not giving the M1 compatibility for free. What an “interesting” decision. Unless you won’t sell v12 for almost nothing, it means just for M1 support (and perhaps other things that should have already been ready in v11) users have to go with a rather costy update. And also, again, the late joiners will get a better upgrade price than all humble version followers. Nice!
Licensing change, well, that’s not like you bring something new or very innovative as the first in the domain, so my opt: do it and do it absolutely flawless and right, I don’t care that much.
Features, well, that- as said - is again the issue with seeing v11 on the death trip by now! So the king is dead, long lives the king…
Not sure, how this is going to exite me. Don’t get me wrong, was never a fan of the .5 strategy. Such a product should at least have a way longer maintenance and development cycle.

Best Regards
B.

1 Like

You will “check out” the license in the activation manager and the license will me marked as “checked out” in your account. You will only be able to use the product then on the one system and not on two systems as with the regular 30 day lease.