Cubase 12 is coming in 2022

Yes, Windows 10 and Windows 11.

2 Likes

Yes, but only by yourself as the license owner.

1 Like

Yes, we are not going to change that policy.

4 Likes

A big step backwards from the eLicenser which I would ā€œcheck outā€ once (and forever!) and then simply move to whatever system I want. It worked just fine. Why add this unnecessary complication involving different time periods and the need to periodically check in?

The DAW market is extremely competitive ā€“ to the extent that would make Adam Smith blush ā€“ so why make things more difficult for your users (and advertise it as new and exciting)? This makes no sense for us at all.

5 Likes

Thanks Matthias

1 Like

Just to be clear, I believe the point of Matthiasā€™ message is that there will be no 11.5, and the next upgrade will be 12. Am I reading this wrong?

@Matthias_Quellmann , what is the exact purpose of the monthly license check?
What does that give you, that you couldnā€™t have without implementing a timebomb in your software, with potential catastrophic consequences for your paying customers?
Why is a one time activation not feasible for you, with the only requirement being to connect when one wants to move the license on a different machine or to activate a second one?

5 Likes

My circadian rhythms are now all messed up with this postponed release. This is crazy talk. No 11.5, straight to 12? next year? Wuuuhat? And what shall I do with my dongle now? I wonder if I can reformat it as USB stickā€¦

Steve - I think I am debating in good faith - For all those on the new system then yes their monthly ā€˜subscriptionā€™ will continue to work - but thatā€™s necessarily true for those who keep their legacy licenses on an elicencerā€¦when those servers are switched off then they rely on luck to keep workingā€¦any issue with the elicenser and tough luck

Selling a license will not be possible if thereā€™s no check in place and when itā€™s only a one time activation.

Of course there will be possible. As I wrote, license changes, of any nature, would of course require logging in.

SB have been a bit evasive on how licence transfers will take place in the futureā€¦hopefully they will clarify in the coming days/weeks

Yes, you are right. Itā€™s technically still possible to prevent any license transfers when your account still has activations of course.

Oh god. Perhaps you should read some of the shitstorm InMusic have endured with the ā€œonline every 30 daysā€ requirement over on the BFD forum or, if you have an even sterner constitution, on Gearspace before finalizing this requirement. I doubt you have a clue what youā€™re in for.

1 Like

We plan to offer an option to be offline for up to a year.

1 Like

This ^^^

1 Like

why a year ?

why not ā€˜perpetualā€™ which is what we bought ?

6 Likes

I guess you can keep using what you have?

Come on though , your making a little more of it than it really is. This is progress , this is a modernisation of an industry standard. This is also Steinberg trying to keep their hard work and livelihood safe from mass piracy. Surely itā€™s a win win. Your online now posting on a forum, surely you can connect the Cubase computer to that connection once a year?

1 Like

That will keep many people satisfied, but not all. I did read the FAQ and see you will have an offline system, though that will need to be renewed yearly. Hopefully that will keep the rest mollified. So it looks like you have put a good deal of thought into this and covered all situations as best you can.

But this will not be implemented straight away , so i can see Steinberg sales plummeting until this is 100% up and running and proven technology because there are a damn lot of us that WILL NOT subscribe to signing in every 30 days for something we bought months before

2 Likes