Cubase 12 performance is a nightmare

here is my post, and I update it with every new release. And I also write about issues every time in every update-related topic.
Do I need to create a new topic with every update?

1 Like

Of course not.

But can you share more info perhaps, this thread is full of very different things?
But I could not find any details on your workflow.
Can you record a screen video, so we see exactly what you’re doing?
Tell us, which plugins you are using exactly, which audio interface?

Try to keep it as simple as possible, so it can be reproduced by others.

Here we go
M1 MBP, Audient id14 mkII, 32smpls
Simple project with only two monitoring tracks with some plugins and plugin automation
Asio guard HI (no matter, if it’s on or off, hi or low)
C 11 keeps load smoothly and has no dropouts, C12 is constantly clipping
With Presonus Quantum on same 32 buffer but with RTL just below 2ms C11 works much better, but C12 - the same

I can send you project file, if it helps, but as I wrote at my very first post - even simple 12-14 channels drums multitrack monitoring with just a couple of channel EQ’s doesn’t work in C12

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no audio in your video.
Just by looking at the meters it is not possible to get an idea of how it performs, as the meter was completely reworked. Before it was acting more like a VU meter, with a slow response, now it is displaying everthing in realtime. Also the “Peak” meter did non exist before.

In my case C12 works slightly better than C11 in this regard ( I am on Windows), so it must be a Mac specific thing. Its just interesting, that not all Mac users report this. Can more users try to reproduce this behaviour, comparing C11 and C12?

inserts in control room (if it enabled)?

I

noticed that connecting external monitor to my MacBook Pro (2017 intel) and working without Mac monitor (brightness totally down) the cpu usage is more less. Can be that the gpu is integrated in my processor and integrated monitor needs more cpu usage? I don’t know.

CR is not enabled

Not so many users work on lowest latencies, I guess

1 Like

I have seen you’re running in rosetta mode. It is known, that that one is far from perfect. If you try to open it in native mode, do you have the same issues?

I don’t believe it has been a wise decision on Steinberg’s side changing the performance meter behaviour without offering the user the possibility to revert back to the previous, more relaxed, way of representing performance. While it’s true that the global performance of the application should be the same, and that the meter may be now more accurate and closer to reality, in my opinion having it jumping all around nervously is sending a wrong message to the users. This is one of those cases where a good lie is better than a bad truth.

2 Likes

Yes, it works the same

It should. But it’s much worst, I don’t care about meter behaviour, I care about smooth performance without dropouts

1 Like

Yes, I think you’re right.

Every time i have a session with a jumping meter (CB12) its a plugin.
Try deactivating one by one and check the CPU meter while doing it. do it slowly, so it has time to redistribute things.
Not saying is the fix but works for me.

And turn off with the power button, not the bypass

Yes, Alt click it, to make it really off! Instead of gray´d out turn really black.
in the image 1st and 3rd slot are off, 2nd is ON and 4th and 5th bypassed.

Whats the use case of such low latency? I mean if it´s about playability, that means something like 200bpm and 1/512 notes.

Did you try to work on 2ms latency? Absolutely realtime feeling, even with plugins that add some extra latency (Slate trigger for example)
And yes, 200bpm for me is slow song

No. It jumps even with no processing, just monitoring 16 channels simultaneously

3 Likes

Check your windows settings for the battery of its a laptop, if you don’t tweak it to full performance you ll have this type of problems.

1. I’m om mac
  2. C11 works perfect at all the same setup
2 Likes

From what I can see and read here ( because I can’t hear anything, and I didn’t see the mixer screen), you’re looking to have 2ms latency with a pretty full mix.
Why do you need to mix that tight?
When you want to record, use Constrain Delay Compensation and otherwise set the buffer as required to improve your mixing performance.
Have you set your Mac power profiles as suggested by Steinberg for compatibility?

You can’t keep at the tightest latency as the mix evolves.
(edit: especially on Macbooks those things just want to throttle - I have last Intel model before M1 (always run on mains, not battery for this stuff))

NO!
I need low latencies to record and live performance. I know what I’m doing and I know how to do it/
C11 (and every single previous version) works fine in the same setup and setting and I need C12 work the same - that’s all.

1 Like