Cubase 12 VCA recall bug

When opening a project with VCA automations, sometimes the tracks within the VCA group are not at the same level that they were originally saved as. I’m having trouble replicating it consistently but it’s happen on multiple occasions on mixes and makes me weary of using VCA’s. Opening a session and having the tracks in the VCA at a completely different fader level is devastating. I’ve had to go back to older saved sessions and see what the fader levels were at in a previous session.

Some people have outlined a similar problem here: [CAN-10904] Major VCA fader bug when saved with VCA all the way down! - #29 by MaxNorman

1 Like

Hi,

Please create initial Volume Automation Points on the according Channels.

Hi Martin, just to be clear - In a VCA with 10 channels, you’re suggesting that the workaround is to create an automation point on each track? That makes changing the fader value for each individual track a bit more cumbersome but if that’s the workaround I suppose it’s worth it to not have the mix completely ruined.

Any idea if steinberg is aware and working to fix?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, please.

Yes, Steinberg is aware of this.

2 Likes

any news about this issue? i had a mix is ruined because of this and it made me really mad

apart from being aware, is there any plan for fixing this? PLEASE!

1 Like

I’m glad that I’ve found someone else with the same problem. Like you said, this bug can ruin a mix completely! I had to reference an earlier export to get all my levels right again. My only workaround for now was to make a screenshot of my mixer after loading up the project with the locator sitting at a specific bar and to compare the levels with another screenshot I took before I closed the session the last time.

Please, for the love of god, you have to fix this bug! I remember encountering this one a year ago and now it still isn’t fixed. This bug is an absolute no-go for any professional studio. Creating an initial node on the automation lane is not a solution, since all my “faulty” VCA faders already have an automation point at position 1.1.1.0

EDIT: I just realized that I should create an automation point on the associated track, which then locks the fader on the group channel. But that’s the reason I’m using a VCA fader in the first place, so I can move the fader on the group channel freely. Maybe it would be best for me to switch back to working without any VCA faders, since this bug goes back many years at this point and no one seems to care.

1 Like

This is sadly what I have done. I would love to use VCA faders but the current “work-around” with adding initial automation nodes doesn’t jive with me.

the strangest thing is that is you close the project and reopen it, the problem is gone. so i guess the fix shouldn’t be that difficult. shame on steinberg

1 Like

Not necessarily. If I remember correctly, try lowering a VCA fader all the way down to -inf., save and close the project. Next time you open it, relative levels are lost.
There was an explanation from a Steinberg rep on why that happens but nothing about fixing it.

It’s hard for me to keep track … is there a single definite workaround that completely addresses all VCA- related bugs and issues, namely:

“Put one automation point at time zero in each track controlled by the VCA track”?

Thanks -

Yes. That does it. (Not sure about the -inf. thing though, I need to test)

This post I don’t understand then.

Can you explain a little bit more please why not?

i’ll explain it to you. if you draw automation nodes the track fader becomes “locked” and the whole idea of automating with VCAs is to have the fader available while mixing.
besides that, it’s irritating to put automation nodes on all tracks. steinberg, just fix it, please

Oh, are you saying putting the automation node on the individual tracks blocks the VCA fader from controlling those tracks?

I’m guessing not, as that really does not seem like a work around at all, but that’s how I’m interpreting what you wrote, sorry.

if you draw an node in a track, then you can’t move that track’s fader anymore, only move the automation nodes, which is cumbersome, specially if you’re using a control surface. that’s the whole point of using vca to automate instead of directly using volume automation

in protools that same thing is achieved with “volume trim”, a feature that i’d love cubase has

Got it, thanks.

That’s how I understood it. I’m missing entirely though how putting that automation point in the track is a work around for VCA issues.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry, In not at my DAW right now, but there is definitely Trim automation. Is it Nuendo only then?

Of course! Trim Automation in Cubase:

1 Like