Cubase 12 worse performance than C11

In regards to expectations, try looking up (on google) the average errors per lines of code in software. Whether at work or at home, I experience some type of software failure on a daily basis.

Itā€™s difficult because so many people have different configurations. Testing every available hardware stack is just not going to be possible.

From a rough count there are about 50 ppl in this thread so itā€™s not that many ppl but I know there is another thread on the same topic. So is it a lot of ppl or just a very few that have something about their configuration of their computers that makes C12 not play very well. Itā€™s not nice if itā€™s happening to you of course.

Testing is never perfect, everyone has different drivers and other software.itā€™s just impossible to get it bang on for everyone.

Where does the person who created that stat get it from. Itā€™s sounds totally made up. There are millions of code writers in the world and they go through unit test, then UAT, then prod migration, then Prod validation. And how many of those ppl have ever reported a per line error rate, answer: no one.

Not that it sounds so fantastic an error rate. 10 errors in a 1,000 line of code is actually very good if itā€™s the very first pass without ever running the code. But that code is ran by the programmer who then fixes them. Then they perform Unit Test with a small sample of data to ensure they are producing the correct result.

So having 10 errors in 1,000 lines of code is like having 10 spelling mistakes in a 1,000 lines of a book. It does not get sent to publishers like that. They get corrected.

10 to 15 errors per 1,000 lines on the very first free writing of some code I would accept. Then they are debugged and fixed. If there was, on average, 10 errors per 1,000 lines of code then everything electrical in your house would not work. Your microwave, your TV, your phone, your washing machine. Nothing would work.

There are of course mistakes that can get through all of that testing. They are usually based on rare sets of data or requirements that are not totally clear, like a programmer reads it one way and the business meant it another way. Thatā€™s where nearly all code errors come from. Itā€™s usually because companies find it hard to justify a couple of $100,000ā€™s spent on a MS Word requirements document which is very clear in its intent. They would rather rush that and get on with the build and that causes errors later. I guess itā€™s difficult when the finance director asks what they have spent $200,000 and all they get given in a Word document, they do not tend to like that lol.

However, in the case of a DAW, I would say itā€™s more down to so many computer builds with different hardware and different drivers and software and plugins. Almost everyoneā€™s machines are unique, itā€™s a wonder we have anything at all that works across so many different users.

2 Likes

I have the feeling that since C10, small errors have crept in. Sometimes C10, C11 and C12 lose the audio driver. Suddenly no sound is played although it is present in the setup.this happens only sometimes. Or, the Vst images work only with C10.5. Only then take over this C11 and C12.
Performance has definitiev something done, just not generally ā€¦ only sporadically and I also think that here will still do something ā€¦

That is kinda sorta my personal expectation of personal computers , in general. LOL

I wasnā€™t trying to spew out facts. I was just being a smart-a$$ and commenting on other comments about ā€œexpectationsā€.

1 Like

No worries chap lol

computer are not quite that bad haha but if a computer was a car you would not buy it, thatā€™s for sure. :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™ve had that happen a few times with no warning. Exactly as you describe it.

I am having catastrophic crashes in Cubase 12 Pro the last few days. It happens when Iā€™m trying to open a project - gets just about all the way through the opening process loading the tracks then Cubase craps the bed and quits hard before the project actually gets open.

Iā€™m on a Mac running Monterey 12.2.1 with plenty of juice.

Cubase 11 was typically quite stable, so I am getting very frustrated with 12. I knew better than to ā€œupgradeā€ to a .0 version, and the whole release of 12 seemed rushed to me since 11 had not been out that long, but I did it anyway for a couple of the new ā€œfeaturesā€, like a dope. Another $100 down the drain for nowā€¦ Please donā€™t make me go back to pro tools.

I just cannot believe that Steinberg has released this atrocious daw.
We have seen all the problems that is listed on this forum and somebody got me over the dreaded stuck on video problem BUT!!!--------------

Now midi and my Genos does not like Cubase 12.
Today i transferred over a midi file to Cubase 12 from my Genos to edit.
I know how to set it all up and works perfectly in Cubase 11.

So i start to edit note lengths etc and then started to check . Press play and all stops and hangs leaving a midi glitch sound to go on forever until you switch the midi off . Start again and it happens every time. Sometimes it hangs drops out and plays the midi again or just keeps going.
I am now really annoyed as there is no confidence in Cubase 12 at all and in my temper i have uninstalled Cubase 12 and gone back to Cubase 11.
Now everything is working perfectly again.
I also say if i used Cubase 11 when Cubase 12 was not uninstalled the problem happened in Cubase 11.
I think the developers need to go back to Cubase 11 and find out what is going on that is different.
Uninstall cubase 12 and all problems are solved.
When are these fixes going to be released???

Grumpy John!!

3 Likes

Same here, Cubase 12 Pro performance is a disaster.

My laptop is quite old (a 2015 I7 6700 HQ, 16 go DDR4 2133 mHz, 4 tb brand new SSDs in SATA III, Gtx 970m) but works fine with Cubase 11 Pro. I can easily work on massive sessions with hundreds of tracks, VSTi & VST, for post prodution, music, etc, and having no other performance issue than my CPU limitation. But with Cubase 12, only one Analog Lab V or Komplete Kontrol instance can cause thousands of audio errors when playing one single note.

All of my drivers have been updated. The system in clean. I use a RME Babyface Pro, updated too, which normally allows me to work with very low latency without ANY issue. With Cubase 12, even at 2048 samples, itā€™s still the same.

I tried to unable/disable Steinberg power service, asio guard, etc. Nothing. And it still works fine with C11. I do the update every year, and never had any issue like that.

So itā€™s pretty useless for now, and itā€™s a little bit to expensive for an icon on the desktop.

2 Likes

I strongly disagree.

I expect something I pay for to be completely ready to use when delivered (and, maybe not needed to say, I also expect delivery within a very short period of time after payment).

Itā€™s approaching the heights of absurdity otherwise, IMO.

Issues of integrity also arise if a company knowingly sells a product that is not ready to use, IMO.

8 Likes

For context, what I said was

and later

New users of Cubase will be using a .0 release.

2 Likes

Hi
I have just in my wise wisdom reloaded Cubase 12 as i finshed what i was doing in Cubase 11.
I have found out that on my desktop Sonarworks virtual sound drivers was activated and was playing windows sounds and i did not know whether that had any bearing on my problem.

So, I put the Focusrite 6i6 to play all sounds .

I went back into Cubase 12 and played the Midi track from my Genos and went ok.
I have two Cubase setting templates where Local is switched off and Internal on.
The midi tracks in Cubase 12 play ok but if i put my hands on the keyboard no matter if i have local or internal on i get a midi loop which goes on forever until i switch the templates off. Just pressing one or the other stops the signal.
I do not have anything checked in the midi filter settings.
Previously i had the song stopping and starting when the Sonarworks virtual driver was accidently put in on the desktop sounds ( i do not know how i did that . Just another blonde moment probably) and in Cubase 12 , it was the Focusrite driver. I do not know if there was a conflict there.

Ok that out of the way, the song started to play ok after everything was back to Focusrite driver.
Now instead of stopping and starting and midi looping i now get the song playing, but if i touch any keys on my Genos regardless whether it is internal or external, i get a midi loop. Nomally you can play along with a midi file that you have created . in Cubase 12 not any longer.
It is faultless in Cubase 11

Does anyone know what i am on about as i am trying to be totally truthful.
Yes i make mistakes , but this new problem is baffling me.
Maybe it is better to go back to Cubase 11 until all the dust settles.

All the Best
John

@JohnS might be better to start a topic for that, to get better visibility by users who arenā€™t subscribed to this thread.

Could it be a midi loop? Have you checked all of your Cubase midi settings?

Hi Pete
I am pulling my hair out here with another blonde moment
yes it is a midi loop which i have never encountered before.
I made a template for local off and one for internal on my Genos .
Neither work in Cubase 12, same thing happens
When i got local off , i am not transmitting anything, but if i hit the keys a midi loop starts
With Internal on the midi loop starts also

So to put this question right i would say if you had 5 tracks playing and you wanted to play along with them in Cubase 12 to test out for possible enhancements, what have i got to do and not to do basically. I will probably get another whack on the wrist for putting this question here but it is all to do with performance and hopefully a friendly forum. It is either settings that i have something wrong or it is the program.
I have tried putting a new thread up , but i cannot fathom that out as i always seem to send a new topic to myself and i cannot find a way to open a new topic. It is a weird process. On normal forums you generally put your name in one column and the subject title in another and once message completed press send and that is again usually enough to put your message in.

Navigate to the Cubase category and hit New Topic

Solved the problem after a good look at Utube. I forgot about Transport --Project Syncronization Setup

All good now . We all have moments Steve as frustration creeps in.

All the best
john

I too love Cubase and do not want to attack it in any way but I am also suffering awful stutters and pauses that I have never had before. I find by playing the whole track through straight after loading stutters awfully but second and subsequent runs are much better making me wonder if it is a loading from disk on first VST use but I dont see any disk activity and have one of the fastest M2 SSd money can buy. So I am stumped and while I am happy for all those whose Cubase works really well some of us are not having a good time of it.

4 Likes