Cubase 13 GUI so bad I'm still using v12 although I paid for v13

I would be interested to know how many other Cubase/Nuendo users are still using v12 because they find the new GUI and layout in v13 a step backwards to use. I have been using Cubase for 32 years and find this new GUI the worst change made by Steinberg in all that time.

15 Likes

Still on 12 for the same reason

12 Likes

The updates in C13 caught me offguard, but I got used to it and now I love it!. It seems most of the changes are to preserve screen-estate I think, hence, some elements now look a lot more simple now.

Actually to me it does feel like Cubase 12 has an outdated GUI whenever I reopen it to work in an older project. But that could be subjective.

Generally, I always try to keep an open mind. Things are changing and adapting to new environments keeps the mind fresh.

Iā€™m used to the appearance and layout now, and actually like it. Some of the other improvements have been welcome as well.

But more importantly (for me), Nuendo 13.0.21 is very stable. (I still had to do all the W11 tweaks though). Also, I have better performance in V13 than I did in V12.

I have no reason to use V12 anymore because older projects I needed to work on, work just fine in V13, so it has been deleted from my system.

2 Likes

Honestly, I quite like C13ā€™s UI. Itā€™s clean and functional and speeds things up for me.

8 Likes

Iā€™m fine with the gui and really like the new mixer strip on the left side of the screen. Fits perfectly to my workflow when in arrange mode. Iā€™m struggling more with the fact that Cubase 13 (as well as 12) have an performance issue on my Silicon Macs. I went back to Reaper for audio recording because I want my audio system to be 100% reliable when recording and Cubase 13 Pro spikes even in very simplistic constellations.

2 Likes

Still on 12 for the same reason here as wellā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m still on 12 mostly because there are no real updates that I cared about. The UX /UI was fine (itā€™s a tool) but there still is no options for metering or other improvements that have been suggested by some really smart folks here.

Very little real value in the update (Mac Mini, M2Pro), but YMMV. A real waste of an opportunity to advance the package chasing something that really no one asked for, IMHO.

1 Like

This question has been raised numerous times in different guises, and I always have to chime in to say that for me 13 is 100% stable, unlike earlier upgrades, and although I had initial misgivings about the UI itā€™s just part of what I do now, and I agree that going back to C12 looks a bit ā€˜oldā€™ already.

4 Likes

Youā€™ll get used to it after a couple weeks. Itā€™s fine.

Cubase / Nuendo 13 is very reliable here and we like the UI a lot. Wouldnā€™t want to go back to V12 at this point.

1 Like

Iā€™m an outsider who crossgraded from Logic to v13, and I really like how it looks. When I see images of v12 it looks somewhat dated to me with the fonts and such, but all in all not remarkably different as someone who hasnā€™t spent years in this software. As a newcomer Iā€™m very happy to call this home.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t like, that I lost the original mixer setups. Rather than just appearing - now there are too many things hidden and it takes more clicks to open everything up so slowed everything down. Annoying.

2 Likes

V12 here too.

4 Likes

C13 GUI much nicer and clearer than previous versions.
You have to just not be scared of change and endure the warming phase.

3 Likes

Yes, I paid for C13 and using C12. I deleted C13 and will revisit in the C14 world.

5 Likes

Feel exactly the same and why Iā€™m still on 12. No desire to upgrade whatsoever.

3 Likes

Sigh - Hi Everyone - think what you like of course.

I ask only that you see: ~> ā€œthe two important bitsā€ (below)

I have become obsessive about various changes in many areas of life over the decades too.

TOPLINE: the upset-ness over ā€œthe lookā€ (except for people with eye problems Iā€™d say) and stopping yourself from using CUBASE 13 you may wanna convince yourself isnā€™t a problem.

THE TWO IMPORTANT BITS (below)

ā€“ OPEN YOUR NEWISH PLUGINS THAT CAN BE RESIZED FROM SMALL TO HUGE

• amazing right?! - so, what happened?
    ā€“ NOTICE THE FONTS ARE ALL FLAT AND THE SAME

The removal/replacement of gradient PNG files on the mixer and the arrange page etc., besides the massive slowdown and bulk they add (hello ARTURIA) is all part of ā€œresize-abilityā€ with added immediate benefits, and, towards the future.

1) Cubase 13 has a breath-taking number of absolutely essential improvements in my view.
Taken a look at the list?

2) I have ZERO issues. Yet, do see the graphics card tweaks and other deep system mods as ITā€™S a COMPUTER program and like all BIG apps can benefit from LEARNING stuff, often necessarily.
The whole knowledge is power thing.

3) Best wishes to all - especially if you need to use Cubase well over 10 hours a day as well.

Please donā€™t recoil in horror at the above without seeing my other very gentle posts on such issues. At a guess most of this has been mentioned by those more deeply technical that me.

Mostly, just trying to be helpful here. While also, the posts on the forum about missing using CUBASE 13 causes disbelief, so Iā€™m trying to get over that feeling as well. heh-hehā€“ No, really, painful to read kinda, as i wish the obvious big benefits of CUBASE 13 to make people happier. Something like that*-)

AGAIN: flat fonts are on ALL your plugins that are able to resize beautifully.
EXPECT CUBASE 14 to WOW YOU - as plugins and then apps transition to ā€˜lookinā€™ good at wildly different sizesā€™*-)

plus, I donā€™t know of any other DAW that has the right click on top line of plugin to ā€œALLOW RESIZEā€ which works great.

I WANT TO BE THE PROBLEM - and pretty much always am, happily.
And when Iā€™m not, Iā€™m always happy, gleefully proud even (haha) to have found a real big bug.
At least big for me.

P.S. Iā€™ve noticed scores of people have changed their mind about ā€œthe lookā€ over the last season.
A powerful mind-tool Iā€™ve used myself as touched-on up at the top here.

FLAT-FONTS are in ALL the newly PERFECTLY re-sizeable plugins we are seeing more and more.
CUBASE has the option to right click on a pluginā€™s top bar to ā€œAllow Resizeā€ if the plugin is still ā€˜old-skoolā€™ graphically and not yet modernized for ANY screen resolution. Something like that - woohoo!

1 Like

What a h???

Flagged content ā€¦ childish

2 Likes