cubase 5.5.2 still unstable, so why go to 6???

I’ve had 5.5.2 for a few months now, and once I got everything tweaked and removed a couple errant plugins, I’ve had no problems. It may take a little tech knowledge (stuff like disabling services that share memory space, java auto updates, adobe auto update, Win (x) auto updates, and removing any bloatware you can find, etc…).

I won’t be moving to 6 for a while yet, but 5.5.2 is ideal here. Instability on your particular system would not be a reason to not upgrade. It’s gotta be something in the system (or plugins), not the DAW itself.

I think the final tweaks made for 5.5.2 were actually targeted for 6, and then for some reason it was decided to implement them earlier. In any case, I’m happy. Keep tweakin!

Cubase my be fairly cheap to buy but you do need a certain outlay for it to run stable. The expense is mainly system resources.
Unless you’re a student or composer of works using a basic “band” setup using the latest OS and drivers and hardware for that version (in this case C6 and win7) is pretty much essential for most users. Of course you can use what you want but I wouldn’t recommend it.
At this level of powerful, albeit affordable, DAWs there is no mileage in claiming that the “proper” ie: latest OS, drivers etc. are too expensive. To buy a DAW these days without the proper research and budget allowance is pretty unrealistic.
That’s not snobbery, it’s the way it is. The DAW may not be expensive but the cumulative expense in both time and money and study of the whole system and the way it works is a reality that won’t go away by any arguing about it that we may undertake here.
If you’re a tradesman or an artist preparation is the key to sound working practises.
In short nobody here is being snobby by recommending W7 and no-one is banning anyone from using XP or Vista if they want to that I can see.
So I really don’t see why names are being taken down so they can be shot in the morning. :mrgreen:

Oh look-my post was reported by"'guest". Jeez Louise.

Absolutely, things move on guys; you can’t keep supporting old code/practices for ever. If you want the new features then get the hardware to go with it, otherwise don’t upgrade the software,keep what works on the hardware you have. Don’t update and then complain it doesn’t work on your old hardware,that just seems bananas to anyone who uses a computer regularly. I mean look at apple and whole PPC-intel move, they had to move with the times and that meant inevitably users were forced into new hardware,like it or not,and, as we all know apple hardware isn’t a cheap upgrade!!

MC

BTW, is this person also “cramar”? Similar writing style… also appears as “Guest” to me…

Funny thing, it seems that everybody who’s been guested so far have the exact same behavioral pattern of technical confusion, asskissing of mods and hi post count members, urge to have the last word at any price, inability to logical reasoning, about the same DAW setup. What’s even funnier is that they appeared one after another in a long string so when one got guested the next magically popped up with 15-20 post a day … all of them. Or the same. Let’s ask Sherlock Holmes … :wink:

What’s tragic is that I have the time to figure all of the above out! :blush: :laughing: But next week I can’t do that anymore because then I’m busy again! :sunglasses:

no … make that :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

:blush: for me too, but man - I can’t believe how “they” always get me roped in! :laughing: :slight_smile:

I think it says a lot that Steinberg has found Win7 worth supporting EXCLUSIVELY so soon after its release (and before SP1!). All their eggs in one basket!

That says a lot for how stable and reliable they think (and probably tested) Win7 is.

5.5 on win 7 64 and on vista 64 both very stable. I also have xp but never use it anymore since wavelab 7. XP was always too buggy not only for music but for anything, not a very good os.