Cubase 64bit RAM Limitation

Just installed my Cubase 5 64-bit on an HP Elite with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit ( Phenom II Quad w/8GB RAM ) & currently using a Presonus Firebox as the Interface. When I start running my Virtual Instruments my ASIO meter goes through the roof; spikes, & pops during tracking etc. I check my Systems Task Manager to check RAM usage on the PC and it’s not even hitting 3GB of my 8GB available.

I tried various settings in the Device Manager, still CUBASE is not accessing anymore RAM. What am I doing wrong ? Already have my PC setting to allow 6GBmin - 8 GBmax in “My Computer’s” Preferences. I’ve read all over the place that a 64-bit system will use the available RAM that I have installed. Do I need to reconfigure the PC then reinstall CUBASE fresh? Any Help will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

I’d like to know too

Well, ASIO usage is not RAM usage

I believe I might have mistaken the VST Performance meter for ASIO. I believe my issue still remains with the previous concept that my RAM is not being utilized. If not, please explain.

There are several issues in play here.

1. Cubase has two versions, a 32 bit and a 64 bit. Both run on Windows x64. If you are using the 32 bit, it runs with the same memory footprint as before (actually, it’s a little different but for what you want to know they are close enough to identical. The x64 version will give you access to the extra RAM …

HOWEVER!!!

Many VSTi are still x32 and a bridged inside the x64 version of Cubase. So, if you are using Sample Tank or BFD2, or any other sample based VSTi that is 32 bits, you don’t get the same memory enhancement.

Now, as far as ASIO peeking, that is typically because you have the buffers set too low on your audio card.

On the transport on the far left are two thin meters. If those are what is peeking, it is either buffers or crappy hard drive performance, or a misbehaving VST.

To quote what I read someone else say on the old forums when somebody asked about the ASIO meter as a CPU meter:

The ASIO performance meter is not a CPU usage meter.
It does NOT show you how much of your available CPU capacity is being used.
It simply shows how near it the Aiso buffer got to being filled when cubase is doing one cycle of its processing tasks in relation to the length of the time that could be allocated by the system for Cubase.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I’m fairly sure my drives are fine. Are there any suggestions on what I can do to beat the issue? I am using Superior Drummer 2.0(not 64-bit); requires greater buffering time.

For future reference, are there specs on interfaces that will directly reflect in better ASIO performance? I’m looking at purchasing an M-Audio Delta 1010 Rackmount. Should that produce better performance for me in this area?

The starting question is, did you install the x32 or x64 version of Cubase. My guess is x32. If that is the case, you get 3GB ram. (but still has nothing to do with the ASIO overload problem)

For future reference, are there specs on interfaces that will directly reflect in better ASIO performance? I’m looking at purchasing an M-Audio Delta 1010 Rackmount. Should that produce better performance for me in this area?

I would highly recommend that you learn how to you the firebox before spending more money. In Device setup inside of Cubase there is an Audio Interface dropdown. Make sure you are using the Firebox ASIO driver. Then make sure the buffers are set to something like 512.

Already posted.

I’m upgrading beyond the i/o capabilities of the Firebox. Looking to interface my desk/console to have the option of a full analog mixdown.

Totally agree with the above post!
The delta 1010 is a more complex beast than the firebox… get used to using the firebox so basically you ‘outgrow’ it.
The 1010 will also require pre amps too as it had NONE on-board. It works best probably in conjunction with some kind of mixer and separate pre’s… i had one for years, still got it actually if you want to make me an offer :wink:) but they are a good step-up from your firebox once you are ready. rock solid drivers too!
Re: win7 64 memory allocation… not all versions of win7 64 are equal here… the version you have will support a maximum of 16GB which obviously is fine if you have 8GB on board, but pro, enterprise and ultimate all support up to 192GB of RAM as well as a few other bells and whistles. Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia
it does sound like you need to increase your buffer size on your firebox to lower your ASIO load, also bear in mind that FW devices aren’t generally as fast or efficient as PCI or the newer PCIe interfaces although some of the newer RME FW devices have some pretty impressive specs very close to PCI.
The Delta1010 is an internal PCI card so you could reasonably expect better performance ASIO wise.

Right, but the description of your problem suggests you did not install the x64 version, or you are using a 32bit plug in.

I’m not sure what you mean by a full analog mixdown, as it will be all digital no matter what interface you use. Do you mean you want multi-channel? So you that you can have control of the in/out levels using the mixer?

Thanks for the feedback. I’m good on the pres for using the Delta 1010(s). Just trying to attempt “little” or “No” latency issues for recording/programming. Seems like PCI is the next step up in my situation since I’m already looking at going to an analog mixer for mixdown.
(PM me your asking price if you’re serious about letting go of your Delta 1010.)

Concerning the RAM again…
So if I want to test my PC’s RAM performance with CUBASE I should UP my buffer speed, to avoid ASIO handling issues, and ADD VSTi(s) and PLUG-Ins and watch the Task Manager?

RAM and ASIO overload are not related. Increasing buffers will reduce the overhead work load on your audio interface. RAM is irrelevant to your problem.

I understand ASIO and RAM are not related. However, I was “initially” concerned about making sure that I was able to use all 8GB of the installed RAM with CUBASE 64bit. I’m going to trying my previous post to see if my RAM does get used.

Thanks again for all of the responses here, it was much helpful and appreciated.

Yes, adding more vsts and plugins will give you more perspective on your ram performance, especially the larger sample based vsts. And yes, you will have to increase your buffer to encounter less asio spiking. Also bear in mind that if you are using 32 bit vsts in your 64 bit Cubase, you may want to try Jbridge if Cubases native bridge isn’t doing the job. If you’re not really tipping the scales with ram usage, then I suggest going back to Cubase 32 where you will have better success with the 32 bit vsts. Even with 32, Jbridge will let you allocate 2G ram per vst instance.

Just tried my experiment, and the “Cubase bridge” did collapsed. Is there a RAM cap on the Jbridge running 32-bit? will it max at 4GB total since you’re running the 32-bit version vs. the 64-bit?

I just want to add in something that will improve ASIO performance and reduce clicks/pops an other artifacts. Make sure your firewire card is a TI chipset. I can tell you from personal experience that the VIA chips that are used in many motherboards do not work well with ASIO soundcards. Find out your chipset by going to device manager (right-click computer, choose “Manage”, select “device manager” from the left pane) and unfold the “IEEE1394” submenu. The chipset will be listed. You want to see “Texas Instruments” or “TI1394” there.

In any case, yes the PCI-based delta cards will improve performance over that of USB and FW cards. If you want to stick with a FW audio interface, then you can buy a PCI card with a TI chipset and multiple FW ports (and with both FW400 and 800) for less than $50.

Another thing that can help is to heighten the priority of Cubase in the task manager. There is a free utility called Prio that allows you to save a priority instead of setting it manually every time you launch cubase.

The only ram cap on jbridge in Cubase 32 is 2G per instance. So in other words, if you have the ram to support, Jbridge will allot 2G per vst, up until the ram limitation you have. That is aside of what ram Cubase will use. It will also bridge your 64 bit applications to operate in the 32 bit environment.

Will JBridge alot 2G or 4G per instance? I haven’t checked to see if its Large Address Aware or not, but I would assume it would be. Or is the VST the limiting factor?

Ron