Cubase 7.0.3 upgrade worse

Upgrading to 7.0.3 has resulted in Cubase grinding down to almost a halt between user interactions (seconds between mouse clicks, jerky playback scrolling etc) and the menu bar randomly disappearing.

I was really glad to see the colour assignments fixed, though even that was like juggling cats to get right as one thing seemed to affect unrelated other things. Once I got it set however, it’s all good. Invisible drop downs in the preferences also seemed to be fixed (a problem on the Mac since VST).

Been pretty patient with the 7 release, until now. Now I’m feeling like those who feel they shouldn’t have to pay for a beta release may be right. This third version has introduced problems that aren’t just annoying but impossible to work with. It will definitely make me hesitant to upgrade in the future.

Back to 6.5.3 and easier breathing. It just doesn’t seem like any release shoul be so finicky, where updates introduce new problems that weren’t there in the last version.

Oh yeah, and now Cubase isn’t releasing the MR816 drivers, requiring a whole restart instead of just an inconvenience just to reset its levels to ‘useful’.

I completely agree with you, but most of the problems are only Mac version, Windows side looks in better situation than us.
I think C7 was released too early, looks like alfa version not yet beta version of course. Probably all problems will be fixed in 6months or more, depends on how much attention and respect Steinberg have for the customers. Very sad situation imho. :confused:

Aloha guys,

Sorry you guys are having major probs.

C7 seems solid here (other than the lil stuff/issues
posted around the board)

Perhaps you are right that a future up-date may
help some users. Time will tell.

Hope you guys get it all sorted.

Good luck
{‘-’}

I am having loads of issues with the windows version. Things on the mixer vanishing. Crashes form nearly every song brought over from 6.5 Blue Screen from closing down 7 after I have loaded a 6.5 song. I am sticking with 6.5 until they get this sorted. SB blamed my audio hardware but this is not the case as It work perfect in 6.5 They have the issue with the programming in 7 simple as that

Then why don’t all windows users have these problems?
My installation works flawlessly.

I’ve got damned heap of software installed on my PC, I use it for Internet, 3D shooters and so on… and my C7.03 is OK. I have only approved issues, such as “no channels names in the Edit Channel Settings Window”…
All other issues I had with C7.03 (BSOD etc.) were related to the third party’s VST’s & VSTi’s. Remember that C7 doesn’t support old VST (earlier than 2.4).

Cheers.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Glad to hear things are running smoothly for some. Always good to read your upbeat posts, Curteye. Maybe the next update will be better.

I keep this system dedicated to audio only and everything else smokes right now, with the exception of one third party vendor. Maybe I’m not keeping it busy enough with superfluous background tasks. Like some finicky cat that will only touch premium food. Nah:). It handles leaded audio just fine.

Or maybe if a lot of the problems are on the Mac side, some more focus could be placed there.

Ulesto, what you said in your first post? Large +1!!!

To me, C7 is way too much GUI and not enough workflow. Did you ever see the movie Brazil? It’s a somewhat scifi future world poke at the human condition. There’s one scene with Bobby De Niro that involves all these tubes and pipes and cables - crazy stuff. The point is that there can come a time when something very simple can be made very complicated by designers because they can. As far as I’m concerned, the best mixer is the one that let’s me see at a glance what is happening in my mix. C6.5 does this - IMO - better than C7. The fact that the C7 mixer has some issues is no doubt because it is so complicated. K.I.S.S.

A major +1

A lot of jazz and classical music also fall into this category.

Instead of a whole note, the composer will string together
63 64th notes just to see if the performer can read it.

Why? Not because it sounds better; It is just because they can.
And oh yeah, let’s put it in the key of C#'.

{"-'}

I’m surprised to ear that, can you give me exactly your configuration on mac? Ram? System? You use 3rd party plugs? which ones? Or you use only cubase 7 plugs? Have you some utilities software installed like Techtools or Drive Genius? Can you load 7.0.3 songs in Cubase 6.5? I ask that to help Helge more, than if you want share projects to test I will be available. Let me know.

I’m running 7.0.2 and have few if any problems.

My sig line is wrong…I have a dual 6 core mac w/ 14 gigs of ram and OSX 10.8.3.

The upgrade to C7 has not been a drama filled one here…

See sig

You use 3rd party plugs? which ones?

NI,SampleTank,Ivory,Omnisphere,Trillian

Have you some utilities software installed like Techtools or Drive Genius?

iDefrag

Can you load 7.0.3 songs in Cubase 6.5?

I have not tried 7.0.3. However I have recently done a track
(music minus one) for a client of the Alicia Keys song: ‘Girl on Fire’.

I did it in 7.0.2 and wanted to see if it would work in 6.5.
It opened and played with no probs.
No Hermode Tuning or tape/tube saturation from the new C7 strip
but other than those issues, It worked fine.

If I get a chance, I’ll try the same thing with 7.0.3 and post the results

{‘-’}

Problems when importing from Cubasis for iPad! It worked great under 7.02, now I see only the form of the wave file, without file inserted in. Please fix that as well!!!

Can you load 7.0.3 songs in Cubase 6.5?

I have not tried 7.0.3. However I have recently done a track
(music minus one) for a client of the Alicia Keys song: ‘Girl on Fire’.

I did it in 7.0.2 and wanted to see if it would work in 6.5.
It opened and played with no probs.
No Hermode Tuning or tape/tube saturation from the new C7 strip
but other than those issues, It worked fine.

If I get a chance, I’ll try the same thing with 7.0.3 and post the results

{‘-’}[/quote]

I did several tests with my macpro and macbook pro, with same problems, can you check if you can open plug in instalnce during the playback? Did you use external hardware in vst connection sucha compressors or reverbs? Can you try to do these 2 things in some of your project? I’m tryin to understand what could be the crash problems on my projects. What kind of audio board are you using? I’m on RME ufx. I’ve tryed to not use the new C7 stuff and Cubase 6.5 does not load the C7.0.2 songs as I reported in another post.

In the meantime i’ve resolved the problem with Kontakt reinstalling C6.5, i really think C7 installation make some problems to C6.5 somewhere.

thanks

Yes. All plugs open fine.

Did you use external hardware in vst connection sucha compressors or reverbs?

No. I only come ‘outside of the box’ when mastering.

What kind of audio board are you using?

Steinberg/Yamaha n12

Cubase 6.5 does not load the C7.0.2 songs as I reported in another post.

Works fine here.

Hope you get all this sorted.
Good luck.
{‘-’}

Mixing without any channel names is challenging to say the least! Lack of scroll bar under the mixer is the least of my worries.

Defending all of this to my friends who use Logic is becoming harder. I know Cubase is a better platform, just hard sometimes to prove it.

I am glad to here of someone that is not having problems. I have even tried 7.03 on my clean laptop quad core 2.3 without any plugins of any kind and on loading up it went straight to the BSOD how can that be? both machines totally different from each other. I did have a UAD problem on my studio pc but that is now sorted. I am still having loads of mixer issues which many people are having and SB know about it because one of their guys is having the same issues. It’s the sporadic nature of the BSOD I have done a few new projects in 7.03 and they have loaded up and closed without any issues until today went to load one and 7 went straight in to the BSOD? Have no idea way as the project has worked since doing it. My music PC has nothing else on it but music. The SB guy thinks having my liquid mix 16 and UAD1 running together at the same time maybe the problem a wild card but I will try it and see what happens. But on the whole of it I am not having a good experience with this new update.

I know that a major update is going to have a knock on effect with a few old plugins but I have done a new project in 7 that worked fine on loading and closing without the BSOD but today I loaded that project and WHAM BSOD there is NO reason why this should happen if it works 10 times then why does it do it on the 11th BSOD is my major one at the mo. The other ones are hangs when closing projects again very sporadic like the BSOD and the bugs that everyone else is having with the mixer which by the way SB know about as one of their own guys has said to me he has issues with resizing etc This is my first real problem with Cubase and I have been with SB since pro12 on the old Atari yes you get a few bugs with updates but this time round for me it’s been a very big deal on crashes. I am in contact with SB who have said to me in an email after looking at my system logs and dump files I have a very clean system and nothing should be causing the BSOD crashes. Yes there maybe an odd old VST that is no longer supported but why should I get rid of them when they are cracking to use. In all cases of the BSOD none of those old plugins were used? My major upset is that I tried 7.03 without plugins of any kind on my quad intel laptop and on opening 7 it crashed to a BSOD both my systems are a million miles form each other so were is the FAULT I am hoping SB can find a common denominator that can put an end to my issues

In my experience a BSOD has always something to do with hardware. Especially hardware-level drivers (video, audio, MIDI etc.) or memory related issues will cause this problems.

To focus on hardware drivers… A lot hardware manufacturers produce crappy drivers. Sometimes hardware totally not related to the used software can wreck your system. As an example - I had a game that was constantly hanging the computer and 6 out of 10 times gave a BSOD. The first idea was - graphic driver? Nope. Sound driver? Nope again… After much frustration, re-installing etc. it turned out to be… the printer driver! Yep - a driver for a piece of hardware that you will never ever use in a FPS was wrecking the system. I never found out how this would ever be related, but it was…

What I am trying to say here… If you have BSOD’s just ask yourself if there is some crappy driver running in the background. It can be a graphical, sound, dsp or midi driver, but also something (seemingly) completely unrelated like a external disk driver, printer driver, chipset driver etc.

I notice Cubase 7 is taxing your system a bit harder than Cubase 6.5, and hardware or driver problems that did not became manifest with 6.5 can raise their ugly heads with version 7. Do I have any ideas? Hmm… well Cubase 7 is taxing your graphic hardware a bit harder than 6.5. And if I am not wrong 7.0.3 had some changes in the graphic department. If you are using a (relatively) light video chip with less strong hardware acceleration (or drivers that are just not optimized in that field) like mobile devices, it is possible that this will give problems. What I am trying to say here, is that the reasoning that “6.5 runs flawlessly thus 7 is broken” is not completely true.

I am not saying there are no problems, but it does not hurt to make a list of hardware you are using, and check if this hardware works really flawless. As I said - BSOD are in the overwhelmingly number of cases related to hardware or low-level hardware drivers.

My preferred way of testing new software is to keep the old software running, and test the new software on a separate system (yes - I know not everybody has a separate system, but you can use a dual or multi-boot system to do that). I slowly add the soft- and hardware and watch every step if this works without a hitch. Only if I am confident the new software runs flawless enough (this can take weeks or months, and notice I did not say “totally flawless”) I make the switch. This way the frustrations are minimal. Yes - it takes some time and some work, but if you spend a 15 to 20 minutes a day for this kind of testing it will not “eat up” your precious time you have to spend with clients or client-related work.

Anyway - I have tested 7.0.3 on two separate systems, with two window versions (7 and 8) and did not have any problem with it, apart from the niggles (like mixer-strip resizing with Cubase 7 projects). So - it is safe to say Cubase 7.0.3 in itself is not very crash-prone (otherwise I obviously would have crashes). If Cubase 7.0.3 gives a BSOD there must be something hardware related that is causing that. As there are so much configurations possible for a computer system it is hard to say what is the problem.

I really hope the problems will be solved, because haven BSOD’s all the time is no fun. However - if it is really only SB that have to solve the problem remains to be seen. It is possible the hardware makers have to do their part to.

Aloha J, Well stated.

+1
I use a separate partition just for testing out new stuff.

A major +1

IMHO
Make sure the foundation is ‘rock solid’ before it is built upon.
{‘-’}