Cubase 8 crashing when idle

Happening a few times a day, on both 8.0 and 8.05, windows 8, sometimes during a project i will look up something online or hunt some samples or something and go back to cubase and the whole thing is frozen, cant click anywhere, I actually have to reboot completely (thank god for autosave, I have it to save every 5 minutes as a workaround).

I use lots of plugins like massive, serum, Korg M1 vst, Rob Papens Blue and many hardware synths, and they are always loaded up, cant differentiate what is causing this, but it happens 2-3 times a day and is such a creative buzzkill, barely happened in my last version (5.51)

otherwise I really, really am happy with the program, just wish I didnt have to work around this, hard to get back on track after this :frowning:

any insight or help is appreciated, thanks!

Have the same problem. As long as I work on it, no problem. When I switch to my office PC and come back after a while I have totaly frozen screen, also clock is still standing.It looks like graphic problem. I also have to push reset. I have RME hamerfall, AMD R7 260 graphics, Asus Z77, intel i3770k on W8.1 up to date. Im note sure are the problems began when I updated to 8.05 and I changed graphic card at the same time with new one. With 8.0 I didnt have crashes.

Same problem,but I have to leave it idle for quite awhile—about an hour idle and then I need to re-open Cubase,but not a system re-boot.Not a problem for me,since it reminds me to stay focused on my project rather than getting side-tracked…

Maybe me too. I thought it was clicking on = but it could be because I had done other things for a few minutes.

Make sure that usb doesn’t go to sleep in the advanced power settings in windows.

I think peakae may have nailed it. In windows 7, control panel, , , , , : set to disabled.

Why would USB cause this? In my case the mouse slows down and occasionally I’ll get a BSOD like ntfs.sys

I don’t have CB crashes but I was having an issue when working Outlook 2010 with Cubase open (Outlook crashed). The fix for that, as suggested by Fabio, was to disable the Steinberg Hub. I don’t know, maybe there is some kind of interaction between the Steinberg Hub and Microsoft programs. Can’t hurt to try it. I have no idea how this fixed my issue as I even re activated the hub and it’s been several days now with no problems. :question:

Regards. :sunglasses:

Hmm i disabled USB selective suspend. came back tonight and now Cubase 8 wont respond to mouse. I never had an issue with steinberg hub.

ctrl - alt - del, then switch user and cubase unlocks without reboot, some is the message that QuickTime does not support the video card settings, but at least do not have to restart the computer.Ciao

Hello,

crashes after idle / sleep modes are likely to happen. Be it due to retrieving the connection to a device (i.e. the audio interface) or a driver. A typical example is the BSOD with ntfs.sys error, which can happen when a driver tries to flush the buffers for example, getting a bad address and crashing due to an access violation. It’s not the only possible cause, though. These are some of the reasons behind High Performance power saving profiles and disabling USB and HD sleep being very common recommendation for Audio and DAW use.

This is unlikely to be related to the Hub - in the case of Outlook, I thought it could be an interaction with the Hub because of JS.

Kind regards,

Hi Fabio, thanks for this info! I also observed today that although Cubase did not crash, audio and rewind/fast forward became disabled in Cubase, despite the transport visually depressing the the rewind/fast forward buttons. I attempted to change RME driver to “No Driver” and this caused cubase to lock up for at least 5 minutes before I had to crash it. I was using RME driver 4.05. I will try updating to 4.07 to see if anything changes. Never had this issue before though so I suspect I may have installed a poorly written program/driver that could be screwing up my OS.

its happening consistently. clean boot. i load project. sit idle. return to pc and cubase is incapacitated. if i attempt to highlight a track, cubase does it. after 30 seconds to a minute. Cubase is drunk and unusable state after being AFK. Last time I tried to use task manager and end task, the mouse started stuttering/lagging. I eventually had to force restart. Any possible troubleshooting steps besides reinstall windows?

only cubase 8 is crashing when idle. Cubase 7.5 is open as well and still works, but cubase 8 froze up when idle. I terminated the program and reliability monitor indicates Kontakt as the cause:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\Cubase8.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase8.exe
Application Version: 8.0.20.468
Application Timestamp: 5547e4e7
Fault Module Name: Kontakt 5.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.5.0.409
Fault Module Timestamp: 55420fe8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000024859a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d413
Additional Information 2: d413f0ad875c3e8702d7fda6802fa046
Additional Information 3: 9478
Additional Information 4: 94782fb15932caf50b188c0cd82bb481

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 14895479

Unfortunately, the fact that 7.5 behaves differently doesn’t say that much, I would actually expect them to behave differently.

If I understand correctly, the PC is just in Idle, without going in sleep / suspend / etc. mode?

Does it also occur if you:

1. Start Cubase
  2. Load a template or project
  3. Close it
  4. Load a project that crashes that way

I would also send the dump(s) to NI, especially if you had multiple crashes like that. I will gladly check the dump if you can send it to me, but we cannot resolve NI’s symbols, of course.

Best,

Thanks for the info! All I know is Cubase 8 is unresponsive 90% of the time I leave it unattended, regardless of what session is loaded. I think I do have my pc set to sleep, but its never caused an issue before, and C7 is still staying up.

Im going to try leaving a generic session open without kontakt and see if it crashes overnight.

Please, don’t :slight_smile:

I might be redundant, but a DAW PC shouldn’t be allowed to go to sleep, nor to run overnight. This is a basic recommendation for DAW optimisation, most audio developers will suggest to use a high performance mode (NI included). The connection to many devices is lost during sleep - this is another case where an application can crash due to an access violation like the one you posted.

As I wrote in my previous post, crashes might occur due to a number of reasons - the ones I posted being just examples, there are more.

Hi Fabio. Today reliability monitor indicated this cause:

The program Cubase8.exe version 8.0.20.468 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 242c
Start Time: 01d0b9ad642048a4
Termination Time: 79
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\Cubase8.exe
Report Id:

Not sure if this changes anything. I understand I shouldnt leave it idle, but Cubase 7 does not have this issue. This also never happened on Cubase 8.0.5 and I am running 8.0.20 now. I just like to find the cause and find out if its a new issue with my computer or a cubase issue.

Hi,

that snippet doesn’t say that much, wasn’t the whole Problem Signature unavailable?

If you have crashes, please send me the dump files (My Documents → Steinberg → Crash Dumps).

Unfortunately, the fact that C7 doesn’t behave the same is not really indicative due to 1. C7 being designed for Win 7 (Pro 8 is not) 2. Different graphics handling 3. Updates to the VST handling.
I will gladly have a further look, in this case having the system’s NFO file would be extremely useful. If you have doubts, please let me know.

Hi Fabio,

Thanks for the quick response! how should I send these to .dmp files to you? Attaching .dmp files to my post is not allowed apparently, and that would be a great feature to enable on the forum IMHO. Thanks again.