Posted my issues with Cubase 8 Pro on 12/7. Disappointed that I haven’t received any acknowledgement. These appear to be a continuation of issues from 7.5.3. I’ve figured a couple of things out, but will start with a little background.
When I had problems with 7.5.3 I reverted to 7.5.2 and didn’t bother to implement tech support suggestion to wipe prefs which I’m now convinced wouldn’t have worked. At the time I couldn’t find anything useful on the forums. During my current research on C8 Pro I was led to a 7.5.3 issues thread that gave me some ideas.
Since the 7.5.3 problem, I have done a clean reinstall on my boot drive (old drive crashed) of Windows 7 and all critical apps (no old unused apps). At the time I tried the 7.5.3 again since I had a clean install of 7.5. Still had problems, reverted to 7.5.2 again.
When I installed C8 Pro I had very similar problems as 7.5.3 only much worse. After some research on the forums I checked the MTC issue but mine isn’t enabled. So set up a test project using the empty template and adding one audio sample. Playback resulted in very jerky cursor and no sound at all with my Audiofire 12 ASIO driver (my default for Cubase). It was very slightly better with my M-Audio AP192 interface with a bit of noise every random few seconds. Task manager showed heavy load on all four cores (i7-920). Tried it with no audio drivers and playback appeared smooth though there was no sound of course. Since C8 Pro locked for extended periods or crashed, requiring a reboot to restore the audio interface, I decided to experiment with 7.5.2.
I discovered a very slight observable lag in the playback cursor. I played with the device settings and managed to eliminate the observable lag by unchecking the multiprocessing and checking the activate Steinberg Audio Power scheme the lag was no longer observed. Tried the same settings in C8 Pro and I could now get audio to play evenly even though the cursor still appears to lag periodically.
I loaded a current 7.5.2 project into C8 Pro with multiple MIDI and audio tracks and it played back with an occasional glitch in the audio and the laggy playback cursor. I also observed that the playback became very noisy if I ran the mouse cursor through the track window. Looks like the generation of the little track name tag was causing noise in the audio. I still don’t consider C8 Pro acceptable for working on projects but it looks good enough to play with and learn the new GUI and features.
Still looking for ideas, but I think C8 Pro doesn’t like something in my system. I generated an NFO file but not sure if I should send it to tech support since they haven’t responded to my previous requests. In the meantime it feels like I just spent money for a Beta version.