Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Yeh, Cubase 7.5 and in a couple of months the big bugs will be ironed out and you get a free update to 8.

In case you don’t know your Dongle allows you to run the older versions and if you don’t have the media just write to support and ask for the link…

Software on its first release is never perfect. Its been about a month since release and 2 weeks of that where holidays, have a bit of patience. I learnt years ago when you buy any software, just junk the CD and download the latest version.

:mrgreen: Well no serious trouble over here, I’m used to do creative work-a-rond like back in the days when I only had 4 or 8 tracks to work with. When sometimes things don’t work as I aspect then I need to do createive work-a-rounds.

I do not say that C8 is perfect but sometimes work-a-round are the solution.

What I see that most newcomers shout harder then the rest, which irritates some members (shouting doesn’t work, filling in a support request does have better chance).

This is my last post regarding this, I choose for now to ignore these shouts/post, only if written in nice language.
I’m one of the memebers who is irretated so I choose to point my nose in another direction if you all don’t mind :mrgreen:

It was certainly ready enough for THIS public. Cubase is not written for the plugnplay, fastfood consumer. New versions have to be treated with caution. I wish this advice was a sticky for new users though.
It pays to wait for the demo while one works out from reviews and reports what new bits of hardware might be needed to make it all work.
If you pay for the program before the demo is ready or you have tried it, sorry, but you are a beta tester.

Through long experience I’ve learned that if new CPU and OS designs are looming on the horizon then there will be a new Cubase / Wavelab version that might need modifications to the computer and a bit of a learning curve to get it all to work. Bugs are a two way street. My system does the odd wobbler now and then and if it involves Cubase I can’t afford to blame that entirely until I’ve traced the problem source.
While a forum and support desk can help there’s sometimes no substitute for the old hands on tech approach to check out the system. DIY or hired tech, as vital to todays studio as in the days of analog.

I’ve seen the comment about “try the demo first” a couple of times now. While trying a demo is of course a good method to check hardware compatibility, I think that there are at least two reasons why that doesn’t make sense at all.

First off, I don’t think it makes any sense for most people that post about the trouble they have, as they are already using a previous version of Cubase.
Trying the demo first is a very good idea for people that are going to purchase Cubase for the first time. But if you’re a long-time Cubase user, then your strong preference will be to stick with Cubase, so there will be a moment that you’ll have to switch to a newer version, or eventually you’ll be in a situation where you can’t use most plugins anymore, or won’t be able to run the older version on the new OS you’re on, or have hardware compatibility issues, or…
Using a demo first won’t help with moving to a new version for those folks, where a stable Cubase without too many issues definitely will.

Second, does anyone here really think that a Cubase demo with the same issues is a good advertisement for Cubase/Steinberg? If I’d be a PT/Reaper/Live/SO/whateverotherDAW user, and wanted to check out that new cool version of C8 Pro through the demo, and none of my (often expensive) Lexicon, Eventide, Valhalla, etc. plugins with custom preset menus would work as well as in my current DAW, I personally would end the demo pretty soon and return to where I came from, that’s for sure. And I wouldn’t feel much incentive to go look back for a good while. For sure that can’t be good for Steinberg. This might actually be the reason why the demo is slow coming. And in that case, all paying customers that have bought C8 Pro can indeed be considered as paying beta testers :laughing:
BTW. Demos are primarily there to make people buy a product because they like what they see, it makes them feel empowered, it does what they expect it to do, etc. And consumers have shown that they have no problems investing in peripheral stuff (like additional hardware or software) when they really want to buy the software they demo.

From my perspective, Cubase 8 Pro really feels like it was shipped too fast this time around, more than any dot zero version I’ve experienced, and I’ve been with the program since the first version on Windows. And that’s a shame, some of the new stuff in C8 is truly great.

The earlier comment about the beta program is IMHO the best direction to look at. With increased volume of testing comes increased data, come better product decisions. Yes, there’s a cost to manage a more extended (or even public) beta program. And no, not all the decisions should be taken by the customer (often a perceived risk of extending scope of pilot/beta). But a wider beta program does force you to increase customer focus, and that can only be beneficial. These benefits are obviously for the customer (usability, stable software, great music!), but also for Yamaha/Steinberg (sales, customer loyalty).

Regards,

characterstudios

characterstudios you don’t seem to be making much sense to me. When people say wait for the demo, they are meaning that the demo is usually released when the major bugs are sorted. Which kind of knocks a hole in your second argument.

Your first argument is undermined by the fact that all those users have a perfectly workable alternative on their machine already. Inconvenient and annoying even, but hardly a deal breaker when these issues will get sorted. If I had wanted to go will Pro Tools I’d be spending more money than I would like for something that looks a lot worse and gets even more complaints and the plugins cost more. Logic, a glorified Garage Band? No thanks! I’ll stick with Cubase and I guess a lot of others will.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not altogether happy but I can live with it for a while because I know the alternatives are a) worse b) going to cost me more money c) having looked at and used the competition (with friends who use them) I don’t like them.

There is a reason I jumped on this. I have always bought every upgrade right away and I never had any issues I can remember in recent years with the upgrade until now (Cubase 8 Pro).

Someone noted it works better on a Mac, great but a lot of us don’t use a Mac. Something changed at Steinberg, maybe new management, maybe some important people retired but this is not the same Steinberg team. How could they let this catastrophe happen?

The reason that I’m Always one of the early adpaters is that I want to get to know all the features fast, on the other hand I do not make money with cubase or in the music busines in general. I write demo’s for the new songs which 2 of my bands would write! And bsedis that I Always have the opertunity to use the previous version as this is still available side to side by C8.

Was there ever a Cubase version ready for release to begin with, except VST 3.7 in 1997 i think???

I must have read and understood some of these posts differently/wrong then:

and

(After which Bantam also states that if you use Cubase prior to the demo being out, you’re just a beta tester).

That said, if we really have to wait until a software demo is out until the software is usable, then Steinberg should label their software “Beta” when selling it prior to that. BTW, I made that point too, that Steinberg probably are waiting for the software to be stable before releasing a demo.

That’s exactly my point though: Sure we’ll stick with Cubase. But I made the second point under the assumption that some people here said: “Wait for the demo”, of which my interpretation is different than yours (based on the examples I quoted).

Same here, I love Cubase, I’m able to work with/through the issues reasonably well. But it doesn’t take away that it feels that this one shipped really early, and that IMHO Steinberg should be more honest about dot zero releases being “early availability”/“Beta” (which I think will only be appreciated by the community).

It would be something if companies that sell cars, or planes, or pharmaceutics, or food, or… would be releasing a product onto the market as “the real thing”, while it’s actually not ready for release. That would not be accepted. So why are there so many people on this forum saying that’s acceptable for a piece of software?

Regards,

characterstudios

While I have caveats, it’s broadly working well here. I vote with the anti-hysteria crowd.

I wouldn’t want to go back to 7.5, and that’s the acid test. But for those with serious troubles, that all you need to do, just wait til your specific issues are addressed. You still have 7.5 and a license for 8 when it and you are ready. It’s an inconvenience, not a disaster. And ALWAYS save versions as you work, on top of auto backups, regardless of your version or DAW.

As for Pro Tools being a better bet - absolutely emphatically not. You need PT HD for a remotely comparable feature set, which cannot be bought as software-only (even though it doesn’t need Avid hardware to run - go figure). The cheapest rig is circa $5k, about 10 times the cost of C8 Pro and markedly worse midi features. My 11HD software fell apart again today, I had to go back to 10 HD. 11 had now been out close to 2 years.

You know the phrase “the grass is always greener”?

When it comes to DAW software it’s a case of “pick your poison”

All modern DAW’s are amazing (some more than others) and ALL of them are buggy, especially new versions.

Reading some of these posts you’d think some people were tied up and had Cubase Pro 8 installed on their computer against their will!

I really feel for the Steinberg production team, every time they release a new version of Cubase it’s like flipping Ground Hog Day on this forum.

“Man, I’m back on the previous version - even though I proclaimed the previous version to be the worse release ever 18 months ago”

Cubase Pro 9 will come out - and yep, you’ll hear it … " This is terrible I’m rolling back to Cubase Pro 8.53 - SB have really lost it this time!"

Ground Hog Day I tell you.

I think it´s great that we all are beta testers… what do you think gives faster bug catching, a small beta group in hamburg or the whole cubase user base? Use 7.5 if you are so offended by the bugs, its a great piece of software. I´m having very few issues with 8 so far btw.

(After which Bantam also states that if you use Cubase prior to the demo being out, you’re just a beta tester).

That said, if we really have to wait until a software demo is out until the software is usable, then Steinberg should label their software “Beta” when selling it prior to that. BTW, I made that point too, that Steinberg probably are waiting for the software to be stable before releasing a demo.

If you don’t know about software then you won’t know what I’m talking about. If you expect software, any software, to be bug free then maybe it’s time to bone up on a few realities of computing life. Even your tax software is buggy, hospital software, and while were about it, cars have mechanical problems, aircraft have software problems (and have crashed because of them) and pharmaceuticals have “side effects” (or bugs as we in computerland call them).
And, believe it or not DAW users have their own bugs due to poorly implemented preconceptions about what should work, what shouldn’t, what hardware works with what software and their misconceptions that because software does not do what THEY want it to do (and not what it’s designed for) that they always blame the newest piece of software that they bought in a hurry for things going blooey! Not reading the readmes and manuals are a common bug too.
You want that shiny new suit? Off the peg often does not fit. You have to wait for made to measure or adjust it yourself.
The car’s not fast enough? No use ringing the maker? Take it down to the machine shop and soup it up.
EVERYTHING has bugs.

Against my usual better judgement, I installed and almost immediately integrated C8 into several fairly large film projects that were already underway. (Naturally keeping a working 6.5 install online as backup - I own 7 but never liked it).

In a nutshell, I’m having a great time. A few niggles, but for dropping right into the trenches, C8 is working like a star!

Word!
A Major +1
{‘-’}

I think we are coming from a similar place. The problem here is that there really is no alternative to Cubase which is kind of where the problem lies. The demo is not out yet and they would be daft to release one that has some of the problems that have been reported thus far. There is a general feeling that Steinberg is relying upon the loyalty factor. I would agree with this. Having said that there are a large number of users who state that they are having very few issues. One on this page.

If I look back to my experiences with 6 and the constant crashing and BSOD - I certainly would not want to go back to that. Weirdly 6.5 is held up as the acme of Cubase. Go figure!

I have said before that someone from Steinberg should acknowledge the dissatisfaction and respond with their side of the story. Too often these days when there is an issue companies or politicians prefer to try and weather the storm when all is needed is an acknowledgement of the situation and a plan in place to deal with it.

So true. lol.

Aloha guys, just to chime in.

IMHO it all really comes down to the number of negatives
vs the number of positives ‘financially’ realized at Steiny/Yamy Headquarters.

Other than on this forum we users really do not know those specific
positive vs negative numbers.

But that being said, we CAN all make a difference.

And it is easy, just vote with your wallet.

Keep in mind tho’ that ‘wallet voting’ can be kinda cruel and ironic.

Reason being:
it seems there were enough ‘yes wallet’ votes from the C7/7.5 release
for Steiny to go ahead and release C8P.

And regardless of how you now feel about C8P,
if you have already purchased C8P,
you have already voted ‘yes’ for the next version.

And the cycle starts again.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

I would stay away from the new “Disable Track” feature, it’s been confirmed to cause crashes during freezing and Render In-Place, for many (which are solved by enabling any disabled tracks). That might solve your problem, there.

I agree with your assessment and don’t think a Windows reinstall will help.

The only real video card issues (if it’s a modern video card) I’m aware of are Waves plugins with the newer Nvidia drivers. If you have Nvidia (or buy a new Nvidia card) I’d highly suggest using March 2014 drivers (they available on Nvidia’s site) – if you use Waves.

Looking forward to your new tracks!

Cheers.

Update/Edit: March 2014 Nvidia drivers (not 2013)

Would you agree that Cubase is the most feature rich DAW on the market? If you agree, would it also make sense that it would be the DAW with the most issues/bugs/broken things year in and year out? So why is it that these tons of users have no significant issues?

I would guess the majority of Cubase users are casual users whos production/recording goals are fairly basic, and probably could use any DAW to complete their audio goals. For Steinberg, casual users is where the big money is at. So yes, there are tons of users (the majority) who probably have no significant issues. With that said, should the minority of users just accept this vicious cycle that happens every time with a poor .0 release and then better .5 release? While the cycle is understandable if we accept this cycle as normal, I think it will only get worse in the future.

At some point, this cycle goes beyond your personal boiling point. Personally I thought the new mix console in C7 with all it’s GUI and sizing problems, plus releasing ZERO key commands for the new mix console went past my threshold. They never should have released it half baked, but they did and in doing so many stayed behind at C6.5 and others found another DAW that better suites them. Did that new C7 mix console at that time attract professional users or new users who were simply impressed with the console eye-candy?

There is a minority of users who use Cubase daily and use professional tools…things like…MCU. MCU was broken at the introduction of C7 fixed within a short time, and once again broken at C8. I don’t think this is something overlooked by the beta testers. Steinberg released C8 with full knowledge MCU did not work. If Steinberg wants to attract pro users, they can’t keep doing this! These problems are very important. Key commands are very important. A focus on workflow and core functions are very important. These basic things should work with a .0 release if they want to attract every-day users and seduce frustrated PT subscription users.