Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Yea - something is amiss here??? AND to expect us to buy third party software to ā€˜fixā€™ the issue???

I did check out the vidplayer vstā€¦ it seems like a good optionā€¦ but, i really dont get why i gotta spend an extra 15 bucks ( miniscule though it may seem)ā€¦ for a feature that has been working normally in cubase versions since foreverā€¦

just to add another layer of complexity to something which should just be a plain vanilla featureā€¦ really disappointedā€¦

Hope Steinberg fixes this immediatelyā€¦ scoring to video is my livelihoodā€¦

Meanwhile, Im keeping cubase 8.5 on my computer just so i can extract audio from video and then import track from project into the final project in cubase 9.

Hoping for a quick fixā€¦

Regards

So, not to derail, anybody with a success story regarding videoĀ“s audio importing ok (in windows 10?)

And anybody with no cpu problems with video playing on windows 10?

checking if it is safe to update

Great idea here Beanstalk

ā€œMeanwhile, Im keeping cubase 8.5 on my computer just so i can extract audio from video and then import track from project into the final project in cubase 9.ā€

how do you do this SIMPLY (maybe a step by step) - I agree with ALL YOUR COMMENTS ABOVE BTW.

Sureā€¦

1. Start Cubase 8.5
  2. Import desired video fileā€¦ itā€™ll also extract audio into the project on a new audio track.
  3. Save Cubase 8.5 project
  4. Close Cubase 8.5
  5. Start Cubase 9
  6. Import desired video fileā€¦ now, there will be no corresponding audio extracted.
  7. In the Cubase 9 ā€œfileā€ menu select ā€œimport tracks from projectā€.
  8. In the dialog box that opens up, navigate to the just saved Cubase 8.5 project.
  9. A list of all tracks from this 8.5 project pops up.
  10. Select the desired track (typically named after the video file) from said project.
  11. The extracted audio file should now line up exactly alongside the video file.

Hope this helps.

Regardsā€¦

gesir > whrote

IIRC the release note said audio extraction is not yet implemented for Win 7ā€¦

Youā€™re right man, thanks:

Didnā€™t saw this s**t before upgrading.

So does this Mean only W7 users face this beta releaseā€¦ (Mpeg ACC is one of the most used audio codec)

W8.1 W10 users can you extract Mpeg AAC?

What about the 4-5 x CPU usage compared to the QT engine?

Sweet!!! Glad I asked. :slight_smile: Many thanks (too bad we have to make an already difficult job - ā€˜scoring to pictureā€™ even harder / time consuming). But again thanks so much for the step by step.

Easier stillā€¦

After saving the 8.5 projectā€¦ just close it and then open the same project in cubase 9.

Needless painā€¦ but, easy enoughā€¦

Havent tried it yetā€¦ hopefully should workā€¦ not completely sure as 8.5 needs QTā€¦ 9 doesntā€¦

Yep a bit less ā€˜painā€™

1. whenever I need to work in vid - OPEN said project with 8.5 - import vid (and audio)
  2. close 8.5 version of project
  3. open 9 same project - works perfect

thanks beanstalk40. This is a workaround I can live with.

I guess it would be where in Germany itā€™s made. In a little more time than Steinberg took to make this update of 24 fixes, their neighbors over at Logic managed this small list of fixes: Logic Pro for Mac release notes - Apple Support

Mind you, this is not being done by an armada of engineers over in Cupertino. This is the Hamburg staff at work. Iā€™m only posting this because I thought it was an amusing comparison. Still love Cubase though.

Wow. Steinberg is way behind the curveā€¦and donā€™t tell me cubase is much more advanced than logic.

I think steinberg should start evaluating the update process and beta testing, It is incredible that beta teams didnā€™t catch the audio import problem while the users did 20 minutes after the update.

Logic isnā€™t as complete as Cubase, and Apple handles updates and pricing completely differently from Steinberg.

Steinberg also doesnā€™t list every single tweak and bugfix they make, specially those included with paid updates. Every major version since as far as I can remember has had many changes (not just bugfixes) that arenā€™t listed anywhere at all.

You donā€™t have to buy anythingā€¦it is just one potential work around barring rolling back to a previous version if you canā€™t get the new built in ā€œBlack Magicā€ engine working to satisfaction, and you want to stick with the .30 update.

Someone in the middle of lots of video projects RIGHT NOW might find it worthwhile to invest in the third party plugin (which also works in other DAWs). Others might be happy to just uninstall the update patch and go back to the .20 release. Some might just go back to an earlier version of CuBase all together (I.E. 8.5 or 7.5 installed on the same system). Others will be happy to just wait it out for the next update.

I wonā€™t argue that itā€™s not a painful mess for some users, and that Steinberg did not have more user friendly options for the .30 update, because I honestly do not know what options they may or may not have had, nor do I know the price tag involved with any of the options.

What I do know is that developers who invested in Apple Quick Time got BURNED (Yet again). Windows support has been pulled for the product. It is now a security risk. Quicktime had to go (probably for licensing and other legal reasons in addition to the security risk).

Could Steinberg have handled it better? Maybeā€¦but Apple is the catalyst for the situation. They produced a product and sold it to developers on the ground it would work for both Mac and Windows development, then took a bunch of money, then changed their minds about the product developers had invested in for many years now.

CAN-1091 - Fixed an issue where the Crosshair Cursor lagged behind when moving the mouse cursor.

After 2+ years, I was excited to actually see this finally acknowledged as a needed fix. However, nothing has changed. After updating, I can still zoom/wiggle the cursor off the page from the timeline just as easy. Not sure what was addressed here. ???

Note, the last version where this was NOT an issue is 7.5 FYI!

Sureā€¦ Apple screwed us all overā€¦ Iā€™ve been anti Apple for a long timeā€¦ just cant agree with their business practicesā€¦ much too unethical if you ask meā€¦

But, Steinberg has been devloping this new video player for almost a year nowā€¦ and they should have made sure that something so basic works like it shouldā€¦

Guess its a Win 7 problemā€¦ and so doesnt affect everybodyā€¦ and they are supposedly working om the fixā€¦ so, Iā€™ll wait for itā€¦ meanwhile using other methods to work around this shortcomingā€¦

Regards

My personal experience: going from 9.0.20 to 9.0.30 update runs ok. After loading an old project; Iā€™m now getting serious audio drop outs I never had before. After few tests, Asio Guard set to normal = dropouts, low = worse, high = no dropouts but cpu spikes really high. I had to disable Asio Guard and now I got the performance I had before update ā€¦ Weird ā€¦

Yea this is super frustrating (and will make me NOT update within 30-60 days of ANY update in the future - but In defense of the beta testers (I have done similar work) - sometimes all checks out during test phase and ā€˜thingsā€™ are added at the last minute or changed without letting the beta folks in on it (seen it) - I bet this is what happened (giving it not importing audio on a W7 - still probably a major segment of their market.) Hopefully this will be a ā€˜hotfixā€™ and not in the next maintenance in 6 months.

Everything works fine with the update, but the video engine CPU usage is much higher than the Quick Time engine on my system.
One exemple with a project I started with 9.0.20: 30% CPU with 9.0.20, 90% CPU with 9.0.30. Both tests with the video window ā€˜ONā€™ (F8). Worse: the video is jerking with 9.0.30 (with Quick Time it was all fine)
Itā€™s just like itā€™s not making use of any Graphic Card acceleration for decoding the video.
I have an Quad i7 and a 960GTX.

I got back to 9.0.20 because of this :frowning:

hmmm - I havenā€™t check the cpuā€™s yet. Did you uninstall and re-install C9, install .0.20 update after that? I just might do that.

I would like to bump this question. I saw no responses.

Even more, though, I am curious if anyone is using 9.0.3 with a Blackmagic Interface and an external monitor.
That is how I would be operating. Also Win10.

Same increased CPU?

Anyone? Beta Testers? Mods?

Hugh