Cubase 9.5.20 maintenance update

Thanks for the hint. We will have a look at it again.

Hi Matthias,

Is there any timeline for this release? Days, weeks, months?
Trying to understand if I need to roll back to 9.5.10 thanks.

B

Having a couple of very vey weird bugs that started with 9.5.1 and did not change in 9.5.2

Sometimes when i load a recent project from the startup page, it literally just loads a blank project. I have to close that and then load the correct project again.

Secondly, occasionally, when i first load a project, i can not access effects at all. In other words, i click and click in the insert slots and absolutely nothing happens, no fx menu shows up. Closing the project and re opening it usually fixes that too.

other than that it seems solid here, same graphical issues i always had since V8, very slow response to selecting clips when left clicking them and likewise unselecting them by clicking in empty space. But stable, ok performance, and all that.

Thanks for the confirmation Matthias!

Hi Matthias, I think 9.5.3 is months away now, don´t you think such a show stopping bug introduced by an update should merit a hotfix or something more inmediate?

Would like to know steinberg thoughts on this

I second that request!

Yes please re: hotfix!!

This is 100% core functionality to my work flow, as it is to almost all media composers I’m sure.

+1
Yep, hotfix would be good solution in this situation. Waiting for an 9.5.30 for ~3 months is not very convenient, not the case. And then, all this can be solved much faster. So why not? Steinberg… Be flexible, please.

This is why I wait until full release schedule for each Cubase version (i.e update to Cubase 9 when it hits 9.0.4)…unlike other developers, where I’ll update regularly. These are bugs that should be fixed in routine monthly updates or bi-weekly hotfixes. But Cubase users have to wait 2…3…4 months for a fix. Unworkable at a professional level.

And some of these bugs should have easily been caught in testing…they aren’t exactly obscure functions of the software. Still convinced that the Steinberg testing infrastructure needs to be vastly improved - I always get the sense that people doing the testing basically set up some tracks, record some drums, export and done. “Works great! Release it!” There should be a comprehensive and methodical testing procedure to work through each function of the software. That obviously isn’t the case, as some of the these bugs aren’t in the “known issues” for this release, meaning they were not found in testing…meaning many of these features weren’t even executed during testing. That is crazy for such a popular / expensive software.

I agree with you. It seems like more beta testers are needed (or more diverse ones).
I’m sure we’d all be willing to help as well.

Bugs are fixed, new bugs are present but what is almost always the case: compatibility and reliability improvements always result.

Do they? I’m still on 9.03. I’ve been through 9.5.2 and its too glitchy including the UI issues to warrant use in a pro environment. Compatibility and reliability improvements don’t always result! I go along with the long standing concerns about the structure and scope of Steinberg’s testing team for this product. How they let some of these issues continue on, slow release after slow release is beyond me. The strikethrough UI issue on mixer channels is breathtaking. How many versions does it take to fix a simple UI issue?

With the greatest of respect to Matthias, saying it’ll be fixed in the next release, when we’ve gotten used to maintenance releases taking some several months to arrive is a little disingenuous. Notwithstanding the disappointment when we hear a particular bug had to be rescheduled for a later release. The many users and supporters of Cubase need more substantial intel than what is currently offered, or it just comes across as nothing more than a polite brush off. Or worse, you are so far out of the development loop that you’re simply reading out updates from the dev team in which you are not a part of. I’m not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, my investment in Steinberg remains committed. But, if things continue as they do, a switch, purely for practical commercial reasons will need to be considered. I sincerely can’t believe that I may have to consider switching the balance of DAW’s in the studio back to Avid/PT.

I own most Steinberg products, inc Nuendo. The best support, and in my view the standard by which all other support should follow within Steinberg is by PG for Wavelab. He provides timely responses, is always keen to engage, gives clear reasons as to when, why and why not and the product is, for the most part, rock solid. If there’s a bug, no one frets too much because PG’s history of responding and resolving bugs is solid and you can ‘trust’ when he say’s he’s on it.

The DOP issues you have reported will be investigated by the dev team. Sorry for the inconvenience.

+1 , I also had problems wit this update failing, as I too use (OSX:sym-links) and (WIN:Junctions) to redirect the install content into alternate paths.
it would be handy when this is resolved.

+1
Hi Matthias,
… and on the point of delivery and timeline :
Q) When is the scheduled release date?
Q) What are the fixes scheduled in the next build? AND as per link :

Q) What are the list of bugs in the knowledge base that is not scheduled for next release.
I believe that being open and transparent to us with what is being fixed and scheduled is very important to most of us.
I do not believe that this is an unreasonable request, other software vendors (eg IBM) publish along with their release notes, not just the bug/case# that have been fixed, but also openly list bugs/cases that are NOT yet addressed, along with detailed information ( via URL links ) regarding active status of each ticket.
… Of course, I am not saying that SB have the resourcing of IBM, but this is a fairly straight forward service to implement, and better engage with your end users and customer base.

regards,
/Stef

I can confirm this - I’m getting exactly the same issue. The fix doesn’t stick.

Love cubase as a happy user. Thanks you

+1 !!
Import instrument/midi tracks from project is a very functional feature. As it is, 9.5.20 is a useless maintenance update

I installed the latest update and I have the same blacklist problem as when I updated from pro 8 to pro 9. Purchased Izotope, Waves, Korg, FabFilter etc. plugins are gone. Well to be exact about 75% of my plugins do not show in the plugins list. I don’t remember how I fixed the problem earlier. I moved some files from pro 8 folder to pro 9 folder.

I know that Cubase doesn’t support 32-bit plugins anymore. Most of my plugins are 64-bit and I’m using Jbridge for my 32-bit plugins. All of them were working properly in version 9.5.10.

Any help?

PS. I’ve been using Cubase since version 5 and I really like this DAW, but enough is enough. Maybe I just try Ableton Live or something else. Music production is not about struggling with your DAW.

I just came here to report the Import feature isn’t working. This IS a showstopper for me, I use it every time I work on a project.