Cubase Artists crashing Cubase Pro 9.5.21

Hi guys,

Since updating Cubase Pro to 9.5.21, I regular get crashes caused by Cubase Artist???

This confuses me somewhat as I have never had Cubase Artist, so I figure it is loaded alongside the full Cubase Pro package?

I have searched for Cubase Artist on my computer, bit I cant locate it, so can anyone offer any advice please?

I guess its a bug but, to be fair, its the only one I have come across since 9.5!!

Thanks in advance,

Jim B

Hi,

Could you share the crash dump (via Dropbox, or similar), located in Documents/Steinberg/crashdumps, please?

Hi Martin,

Where do you want me to send the crash dumps?

Jim B

Share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi Martin,

I don’t use Dropbox, but I do use Onedrive so would that do?
Do you want all the files or just the latest, as I could just paste that here?
If you need the entire crash dump folder, for security, can I send you a PM with a link to the files, or is there anybody else I can send them as I don’t want to give open access to my files!

Thanks and regards,

Jim B

Jim, as far as I know and can explain, Cubase Artist is the same Cubase Pro at the file level. Difference is only between licence. Artist and Pro have the same files. The same as Cubase LE, AI and Element. Therefore you cannot run lower version if higher one licenced. You only can run Elements with Artist or Pro licence.

Additional info: Can I run Cubase Pro and Cubase Artist on the same machine? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Thanks for the info A.
I suppose the point is that I am not running the Artist, but according to the crash message that pops up, it is that which is crashing Cubase Pro?
Any way Martin has asked for crash dump files so, once he has them, that may point to the reason for the problem!

Regards,

Jim B

Hi Martin,

Here are all my Cubase crash dump files:

I look forward to hearing from you regards this issue??

Regards,

Jim B

When you read this Martin,

Cubase Pro has just crashed again, with the same Cubase Artist 9.5 being named as the culprit!!!

Am I the only one that this is affecting and, if so, what the heck am I doing wrong??

Jim B

No. Only the licensed derivitave can be run. Pro, or Artist, or LE, or AI, Or Elements.

No. Elements can be run with Artist and Pro licences. I started with AI, then upgrade to Elements and AI was not accessible anymore. Then I upgrade to Artist and still can access Elements. Then I upgrade to Pro and Artist was not accessible, but Elements still accessible, because LE/AI/Element is one program and Artist/Pro is another program. De Facto :wink:

Therefore, Jim B, it is possible (accidentally) that somewhere somehow errors caused crashing have a “footprint in size of” Artist even if you run Pro version.

No. Is what I would say had not been wrong about that :blush: - but yes. Elements runs with a Cubase Pro license. Apologies, ANeeman.

Hi,

This is really strange. Every single crash is totally different, from different areas. I can’t see any connection.

Please, try to trash your Cubase preferences. Make sure, both Cubase folders are deleted (renamed) - Cubase 9 and Cubase 9.5 (if you have Cubase 8.5 or Cubase 8 installed, it’s better to rename even these folders).

Also make sure, your Windows system is up to date, and hardware drivers (especially graphics card and Audio Device), please.

If it’s still crashes, share a new crash dump files, please (with a fresh preferences).

Hi Martin,

Firstly, there is a connection and it’s called Cubase! The lack of connection between the crashes is a little worrying though, because that implies a new problem that no-one is aware of??

Anyway I’m sure Steinberg can offer me some help!!

I know all my Windows system and audio driver (Yamaha) are up to date so I will trash my Prefs and rename all Cubase files to see what happens.

Being a little dense, I was hoping that someone would please chime in with how to trash Prefs?

Thanks in advance,

Jim B

Please, don’t rename “all Cubase files”, rename Cubase Preferences folders.

Hi Martin,

Can you walk me through the “trash prefs” process please, or send me a link with instructions on how to do it?

Thanks,

Jim B

To the File Explorer type %appData%, then select folder Steinberg. Here rename all Cubase folders. The best way is _currentDate_Cubase X.

The Preferences files are found in the following folder (usually, though you can find it the way Martin says, above):

"C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5_64"

If I want to test trashing them I move them all the files from here into a subfolder in the same location that I call PrefsBackup9.5 and the date (for example).

The next time you run Cubase, new preference files will be created. If you no longer see the erros you’ll know it was indeed a corrupted Preference file causing the issue. If you wished you could then start putting the files back to find out where the errors were.

For interest, the following link says what is stored in the various files (though it’s not usually possible to guess from this which one is causing the problem).

Thanks guys.

I’m away from my computer at the moment, so I’ll give it a go in about 2 hours.

I’ll let you know what happens!!

Thanks again,

Jim B

OK,

I’ve trashed and ran it a few times and it looks (so far) to be fine!

However I am starting to rebuild my prefs and, because I create 4-5 audio tracks at one go, I have always had random track colours selected in preferences.
After trashing prefs and restarting, even though I check that option in preferences, it doesn’t happen??
OK its not a major issue, but if a small thing like this isn’t functioning properly, then what else could need tinkering??

Anyway, I’ll keep you posted on the Cubase Artist crash causing mystery!!

Thanks for your help forum & Martin,

Regards,

Jim B