Cubase elements 13 Video-Player window stays black

The Video-Player window in Cubase 13 elements stays black, with projects that worked in Cubase 12.
Also with new projects.
Thumbnails are created and shown normal.

Dirx

1 Like

Hi,

Are you on Windows or Mac? Which version?

What video codec do you use? So more details about the video you are using?

Win 10, 22H2.
Videos I tried so far were mp4 h264 and Apple ProRes proxy.

I will try on another machine tomorrow.

1 Like

Okay,
I installed on a second machine, here Video works as expected.

The not working one is a Laptop, the working one a Desktop.
I shall try from scratch on the Laptopā€¦if no one else has Video problems like that.

Cheers,
Dirx

1 Like

I have exactly this too. PC is Windows 10 22H2 X64. CPU is i5-4570, and only using the internal Intel HD Graphics 4600, so called GPU.
Cubase Pro 13.0.10.
I have tried two different .mp4 files. New Project. Add Video Track. Drag mp4 file onto the video track.
Audio is extracted, and thumbnails extract fine. Click PLAY on transport and audio plays, but F8 Video Player remains black. CPU and GPU mostly ā€œidleā€ at under 10% or so, and SSD drive also idle according to Task Manager.
Repeated exact steps, and same 2 different vid files in CUBASE 12 Pro 12.0.70, and same audio extracts. Thumbnails render. And on PLAY, the F8 Video Player opens and shows the video.
Both vid files play fine in other vid player tools.

1 Like

Hmm, my Laptop also uses the internal HD Graphics, I cannot access it at the moment to be more specific.
The Desktop uses a GTX 1650, so a ā€œrealā€ Card.
Maybe a relation between the problem and internal Intel Graphics?

One of my vid sample files, which I think was generated by OBS, when openned in Adobe Premiere Pro v24, reports as follows:
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 62.19 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 30.00
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - Compressed - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:04:07:13
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Color Space: Rec. 709
Color Space Override: Off
Input LUT: None
Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

1 Like

OK, to be 100% clear, the following is NOT recommend for any kind of Production system you depend on, and I did this to see what would happen. Expecting CUBASE might crash or report an error during load. But with all those cautions, here are the details.
Using the ā€œSystem Component Informationā€ panel, I can see my Cubase 12 Pro has videoengine.dll v 4.1.40.46, and in C12, my videos play fine. In Cubase 13 Pro, that file is v 4.2.10.80, and videos dont play. Black screen, but the timecodes work.
Anyway, I placed the C12 version of the file into C13 and opened my project back up. And now the video plays fine in Cubase 13 on my PC using the Integrated Intel 4600 GPU thing.
Again: for info, I 1000% recommend users do not mess around like this with files inside any application you care about or depend on them working. etc. etc. etc. disclaimers!

1 Like

OK, as expected. The C12 video player crashes if I touch it or resize it, so its NOT a valid workaround. Please dont try it expecting its a fix. Its so NOT.

1 Like

How can we get the devs to notice/pickup on this as a defect and hopefully a fix in the next patch update?
I tried to log a defect online, but the dumb system thinks I live outside the US (true), and directed me to a reseller for support. Total dumb: All my software purchases are here online directly from Steinberg.

1 Like

Iā€™m have this issue with Cubase 13 Elements. I recently upgraded from 12. And the previous projects with videos donā€™t load. It is just a black screen. It only loads when I do it in cubase 12. Any idea why? Are there settings I need to change in 13? It says Mismatch error. When I adjust the project setup to match the video frame rate, the video still doesnā€™t show up in the video player. The video player is just black and only the attached audio plays. Any ideas how to fix this yet? Iā€™ve seen people ask this question but canā€™t find any resolutions.

1 Like

Do you also use the internal Intel HD graphic on your machine?

Iā€™ve got a feeling, that this might not be under the top 10 problems to solve for Steinberg at the moment.

I have no idea. How would I be able to tell? I just know the video works just fine on Cubase 12 LE, but doesnā€™t work on Cubase 13 LE.

1 Like

If you are on Windows, you can see it in the device manager under ā€œDisplay adaptersā€.
It will say something like ā€œIntel(R) HD Graphics ā€¦ā€

It is just a shot in the dark, as for me it works on a system with a ā€œrealā€ graphic card, but not on my Laptop with the integrated Intel HD Graphic.

SOLVED (For me): Had the same problem with Nuendo 13. Black screen on both old and new video projects. My laptop has onboard Intel graphics + NVidia graphics processor.

I changed the NVidia settings as described in this article, and the problem went away:
GUI errors

I did not need to adjust the power management mode mentioned in this article to solve the problem.

Hi, i had the same problem. BUTā€¦
After forcing Windows (10) to run Cubase13 in ā€˜High Performance Modeā€™ (search for graphics settings in Windows) it works fine as in Cubase11. Best whishes, bubu.

Thank you both for sharing your solutions, unfortunately it doesnā€™t help on my end.
I have no Nvidia card on my laptop, and the Windows 10 ā€˜High Performance Modeā€™ setting did not change anything.

Well, Cubase 12 works for meā€¦

Cheers,
Dirx

1 Like

Hi guys, Nuendo 13 here with original video engine.dll v 4.2.30.44. Same thing. After replacing the file with Cubase 12 videoengine.dll v 4.1.40.46, all is working like a charm. Please Steinberg, I bought Nuendo for these kind of tasks. March 2024. Please fix it.

2 Likes

It ā€œseems to workā€ on my system as well, although fullscreen Video does not work.
But thank you for the info, maybe it might be of help for Steinberg, if they find the time to adress this issue.

Cheers,
Dirx

2 Likes

The ā€œfirstā€ full screen doesnā€™t work. But I have discovered a trick. Right button over the screen to get the full screen throght the menu. After this I have right full-screen. It took 2 seconds to show the image. After this, in the next try, the image came instantly. Anything I can do, I will be right here

1 Like