Cubase Forum Feature Requests Poll August 2019

Will there be any more polls like this?
I have one feature, but it not direct code feature. It’s a service for vendors, but it’s goal is better quality for cubase users.
The thing is a “certification” of plugins for “cubase/nuendo” comparability. Many plugin vendors totally ignore some features. Like findParameter in GUI, and if that is ignored AI-knob and QC does not work. So even if it is using VSTSDK from Steinberg it is not compatible with cubase in the sense that they work as intended from Steinbergs applications.

Great poll. I am glad to see “Polyphonic audio editing”, near the top.We have Variaudio which is good–but lets make it great.Melodyne is awesome but really expensive.
Also great to see"Move tracks within the MixConsole" at the top.

For future polls, we may want to discuss some better names. For instance:

“Polyphonic Audio Editing” should be “Polyphonic Variaudio”

and

“Multi Quick Controls” should be “Macro Knobs”

Those weren’t clear to me originally.

Many people use tools like this in the composition stage, so quality of sound/tone is not the sole aim. Being able to play guitar direct into Cubase and for it to analyse the chords of that performance (as Studio One 4 can) is a really helpful addition to build the bones of a song.

Melodyne is not a composition tool so it makes perfect sense for Cubase to extend its chord track features from MIDI to audio like this .

So while you’re valid to say compositions are best manually scripted, don’t forget there’s many great emotional (guitar) players who haven’t a clue what the ‘exact’ chord is that they’re playing but can present a sweet recorded performance when asked, this would be such a useful tool for them to breakdown an learn/understand theory which they subconsciously adhere too already,

It’s about adding structure I guess.

I agree with adding composition features. Having homogeneous (single instrument) polyphonic audio tracks follow the chord track, ala Studio One, is the logical evolution of what is currently present. Also, extracting MIDI from homogeneous polyphonic audio tracks would be excellent - one use case would be recording guitar chords and converting to MIDI so that the performance could drive a synth VSTi.

I absolutely appreciate such a way of Communication with all users.
I am wondering why storing meta data with the project is not in the list.
Isn‘t it waste of time for so many users to type them in for every audio export ?
I can‘t believe

Thanks for doing the survey. I think it is a good step in the right direction for the company and something that should continue.

I like how the survey asked if the user used Cubase as a hobby or as a professional because professional users and hobbiests often want different things but I believe that the list should collect the top 50 order from hobbiests, the top 50 order from professionals and then combine them together to make an ultimate top 50.

The issue is that there are more people using Cubase as a hobby than they are as a professional so results that might rank high for professionals, could rank low as for example, “External Controller integration improvements” which would probably be a high ranking item for professionals who use Cubase in a recording and/or mixing studio as they are more likely to have control surfaces, ranks low as most hobbyists do not have a control surface and speed is less of an issue to them. As well as other speed related enhancements.

I would suggest going one step further with the survey and specifying the type of audio professional, post production, electronic music production, recording studio -band, recording studio -artists, film composer, etc… And allowing a user to select more than one category but maybe their vote is weighting is divided among the categories so that if you’re in 4 categories, your weighting is divided by 4 but even better would be to allow the voter to allocate their percentage doing each task and have the total equal 100. This then splits their votes into the sub categories of professional user.

This way, all demographics are being met.

Also it would be good for people to be able to subscribe to be notified when a future feature request survey is available so that we can make sure we don’t miss it.

I missed the poll as i became mainly a Nuendo user.
I see some midi request in that list but iam not sure what “8 General improvements to MIDI Editor” & “9 Smart tools for MIDI editing” means because “6 Bezier curves in MIDI editor” is some kind of smart midi tools, no ? Or does it means new midi tools like some new midi modulators, like LFO, Envelop shaper… ?

"16 Modulators like LFOs for all parameters" does it means midi modulators like CC LFO (and CC controller) that can control all parameters (of different vst/i at the same time ?), to me it sound like a “MIDI MACRO CONTROL” that control Knobs/Parameters witch is also what “45 Multi quick control” means to me.
I ask this question to myself because i can already simply “control all parameter” of one vst/i with an LFO…

Personally i would have been very confused in that poll as iam interest in midi area improvement (midi macro control, new midi tools and improvement of already existing one, etc…), i wouldn’t be sure what to choose between them.

So we can expect these to be implemented in 10.5 this fall? :mrgreen:
As always with those polls, there’s some I agree with and some that are not relevant to me.

An idea for future polls: maybe focus a bit more on one major topic of Cubase, e.g. MIDI, Audio, Mixer and so on.
The request in this one were from all over the place, maybe be a bit more specific, e.g. “general improvements to the MIDI editor” is rather vague,
make a poll only about the MIDI editor and corresponding feature/change requests.

There are four options how to deliver no. 3 & 4 (Chord Detection & Polyphonic Audio Editing):

1. several years of in-house research
  2. license the algorithms from a third party
  3. buy a start-up company with their own solution
  4. improve ARA integration and let Melodyne do its magic

I would definitely vote for the fourth option :wink:

Miloslav

Yikes, I missed the poll.
Only feature I would wish for cubase is the dual latency mode like Presonus Studio One “Z” mode and Logic X low latency mode.
Since it’s impossible to monitor thru latent plugins in cubase without inaudible latency

Hardware “Z” monitoring in S1 is already present in Cubase, where it is named “Direct Monitoring”. The list of supported interfaces for this feature may differ between S1 and Cubase, though. But beware, if you want to monitor through software plugins, you cannot use neither “Z” monitoring nor “Direct Monitoring”, this is principally the same limitation.

Miloslav

Just wondering why the list above has changed from the original listing when the results first came in?

Different months

It’s two different polls.

unless I’m misreading it all …

There used to be a feature called “Replace audio in video” on the file menu and I guess that’s what “Export to video” means.
That was a very useful quick and dirty way to just do that, replace audio in video.
Import video to the video track, split off the audio to an audio track, write music and export all of it as a video with audio.
No bells and whistles or any other kind of video editing.
That was all of a sudden dropped when Apple also all of a sudden killed Quicktime.
It worked!!!
sop now people want it back! That’s all :sunglasses:

I’m with you. It seems like a such a complex development effort and there’s already a terrific solution in Melodyne. I get it. People want something on par with Melodyne’s polyphonic editing for free, but I’d rather Cubase focus on more fundamental DAW tasks and leave the magical processing algorithms to other companies.

Multitrack Free Warp is a request going on for just about 7 years now. I’m thinking, is the majority of Cubase users doing mostly midi and vsti work? I am surprised by the ranking too. Given the timeline history, looks like I may need to invest in a secondary DAW for handling the audio as I do primarily audio heavy projects along with many tracks of midi and vsti’s.

I like the results. It’s hard not to when the 50 items on it are all such good suggestions. I was moderately surprised by some of the rankings, but it was a very difficult survey to complete since there were so many attractive items on the list and we could only pick 10…

1 Move tracks within the MixConsole

I strategically did not vote for this because I knew it would rank highly but I’ll be very happy to see it implemented.

2 Export to Video

Bravo! I wanted this but didn’t expect it to do so well.

3 Chord Detection from audio

When I first saw this on the list I got excited but decided not to vote for it because it’s in Melodyne and I never got round to using it. Before reading this thread I was against this being integrated, but I’ve changed my mind. I hope Steinberg prioritise this because I know it’s attractive to first time buyers and I want Steinberg to sell more copies of Cubase so that they can expand operations.

4 Polyphonic audio editing

Ditto. I’ll rarely (if ever) use it, but I’m not surprised that it’s popular and I really want them to implement it.

5 Stereo effects on mono channels

One of my personal favourites that I’m pleasantly surprised to see did so well.

6 Bezier curves in MIDI editor

I didn’t vote for this even though I want it because I knew it would do well. Very happy to see this in the top 10.

7 Open all Plug-ins of one track in one Window with tabs

Before the poll I didn’t know I wanted this, but now I really do.

8 General improvements to MIDI Editor

Another personal favourite. I was a little surprised this did so well, but I suppose Cubase is good for people who value high grade MIDI editing, so this result makes sense.

9 Smart tools for MIDI editing

Same as above.

10 Automation shown directly on tracks

I took this off my vote because it’s rather cosmetic IMO, I wouldn’t personally get that much workflow value out of it.

11 Gapless Audio Engine

I didn’t vote for this because I didn’t understand what it was, but now that I do, I wish I had voted for it.

12 Scalability of the user interface

I didn’t vote for this, but it’s sn inevitable progression, surely?

13 Multitrack Audio Warp

Not on my radar.

14 Improved zoom and scroll bars

Quite an unsexy feature, but one I’d very much welcome.

15 Full coloured tracks in the MixConsole

I’m too boring for things like this.

16 Modulators like LFOs for all parameters

I wanted this to do better but I’m not shocked that it didn’t. 16 is respectable, still.

17 Multiple Track Freeze / Unfreeze

That used to bug me, but I don’t use Freezing much these days.

18 Customizable right click menu

Would love this but it’s far from top priority.

19 Smart Tool (Range/Select Tool)

Not sure I understand what this means.

20 Analog MixConsole emulation

I can’t imagine this sounding how I’d want it to sound so I’m not especially keen but I’d probably use it if it came.

21 Improved Import Tracks from Project function

I really wanted this to do better since the import dialogue is a bit decrepit.

22 New Arpeggiator

Guilty pleasure: I think the apreggiators could do with a refresh. Look at what Retrologue 2 can do, my word!!

23 Multiple VST Instruments in one Instrument Track

Not sure the point of this but it sounds fun.

24 Improved integration of Dorico.

I don’t have much use for Dorico in my line of work, but it makes sense.

25 Audio Export with Send and Master effects

If only!

26 MixConsole Snapshots including automation

I’m fairly upset that this didn’t rank higher. Am I the only one using automation?

27 Plug-in Sandboxing

It’s cool on paper, but I can’t think of any serious real world benefits for me personally.

28 Automation saved with TrackVersions

Again, I’m disappointed that this is in the bottom half of the results. Where are my brothers and sisters in automation?

29 External Controller integration improvements

Low desire for me personally, but I’d definitely use it happily if it came.

30 Multiple active projects simultaneously

This could open up some interesting possibilities.

31 Horizontal mouse wheel should scroll the mix console

I expected this to do much better but I’m not too bothered that it didn’t.

32 Expression Maps UX improvements

Again, feels like an inevitable, natural progression.

33 Renaming Plug-ins in Plug-in Manager (Alias)

I don’t care for this, but I have a cool workaround.

34 VariAudio in Project Window

Nice to have but I wouldn’t upgrade just for that.

35 Slicing in Sampler Track

I really want this, but Groove Agent SE has it already, right?

36 Track Header with Volume, Pan, Inserts & Sends

I thought this would do better, though I didn’t vote for it.

37 Loop based production features (like clip launcher)

Not for me, thanks!

38 Free Warp On Project Window

Mildly interesting IMO.

39 Audio Connections overhaul for external FX and instruments

I didn’t have high hopes, but I’d love to see this implemented. It was my #1.

40 Beat Designer in Lower Zone

Slightly surprised this didn’t get more love. I don’t use Beat Designer, but I would if it were integrated into the Lower Zone and it would likely improve my workflow.

41 Ripple Edit

We can already do something very similar to this with Ctrl+Shift+Backspace, can’t we? I don’t like using it as it tends to mess up automation and shared copies.

42 Multitouch screen support

Seems inevitable, but I don’t want it … yet.

43 MIDI Editor UI Tabs for Controller lanes

Slightly surprised this wasn’t in the top 25. I could live without it, but it would be super handy.

44 Inspector In Lower Zone

More horizontal real estate, yes please. I’m not surprised people didn’t go for this more, but I’d love to give it a try.

45 Multi quick control

I’d use it, but I wouldn’t vote for it.

46 Increase the number of Sends

Happy with the workarounds for now, while there are more pressing features I’d like to see.

47 DDP export for mastering

No interest to me, personally.

48 Improved Event Envelope editing

I’d welcome it but I think the event envelope editing is already pretty good!

49 Global Tracks in editors

Sounds like a good idea that I’d love after trying once, but until then I’m happy not knowing any better.

50 Improved VST Transit functionalities

I’m glad this ranked last. I personally think VST Transit needs to go in a whole different direction.

First, it is not “impossible to monitor thru latent plugins in cubase without inaudible latency”. Many people do it every day :slight_smile:.

Second, Cubase already has the same features in this area as S1 and Logic. There was a thread recently about this: