Cubase needs A.I ASAP

Hi creators, we are standing at a quiet but critical crossroads in the world of audio production, and I want to invite you to look at the horizon with an open mind before making any judgments.

The landscape of music creation is shifting rapidly. Platforms that generate entire tracks from a single text prompt are already live and gaining massive traction. It raises an uncomfortable but necessary question: a few years from now, why would a new producer spend hundreds of hours mastering a traditional DAW when a website can do it instantly? If Cubase doesn’t adapt to this reality, it risks quietly fading into the background.

I know the immediate instinct for most of us is to keep artificial intelligence as far away from our creative sanctuary as possible. I completely get it—AI isn’t “human,” and music is profoundly human. But years ago, a university humanities professor shared a principle with me that feels entirely relevant right now: to survive and thrive in any discipline, you must align yourself with the revolution of your time. For us, that revolution is AI.

We don’t have to surrender our art. Instead, we can adopt an “if you can’t beat them, join them” mentality by weaponizing AI to protect our creativity.

Imagine integrating language models directly into the Cubase workflow to handle the soul-crushing, repetitive tasks. Imagine typing a simple prompt to instantly color-code your entire session, route your buses, make track 4 the main stage, and load your go-to preset reverbs on tracks X, Y, and Z. By completely automating the tedious administrative work, we preserve our mental energy for the actual creative process.

As for the extreme, experimental side of AI—like generating complete hip-hop beats with vocals—we can set the boundaries. We don’t need a DAW that writes the song for us. But what about targeted, restricted prompts? What if you could ask Cubase, “I need a counter-melody for this main verse”? For the solo creator juggling life, scarce industry opportunities, and inevitable creative fatigue, having an intelligent sounding board could be an absolute lifeline.

AI is here to stay, but we get to decide how it serves us. I want to pass the mic to this community. How do you envision a smart, AI-assisted Cubase that handles the heavy lifting without stepping on the soul of your music?

Here was a feature request I made too far ahead of its time, and now I can make it with websites like SUNO. I feel more now than ever Cubase needs this feature and more

I disagree. Once it starts, it won’t end. People who want AI will demand more and more features, usually very loudly, and we all know the loudest voice wins.

Pros usually delegate the soul crushing stuff to subordinates, hobbyists just use templates and presets.

From an empty project to 40 odd tracks, plus 20 plus groups, and FX, &tc takes me about 30 minutes. For a project I’m on which likely to spend many hours.

I, in this case, am a proud Luddite.

I’m not against AI in processing. EG, I use PaintShopPro, which has some AI processing of images - resizing, and such.

If you think working in your DAW creating music is soul crushing maybe you are in the wrong line of work?

I’m pretty sure Steinberg is watching the space (and they should), but at the same I don’t see a point of just adding AI for AI’s sake, as so many other companies do.

But we’ll have to see what happens. SUNO is interesting for sure, but you don’t have copyrights on tracks you create with it. That for me is already a showstopper for many uses for example, ethical and moral questions aside.

Not sure :wink:

I program nearly, all of my MIDI data with a mouse, with variable tempo throughout and time signature.

It is quite demanding and not something that AI is capable of producing.

I would rather leave the “meaningful consumption experience” (quote Mikey Shulman, CEO Suno) to Suno and everything related to creativity to Cubase.

It’s not AI it’s super intelligence now.
An orange American bloke told me. :wink:

No. Are you a musician?

And yet another AI related one… :roll_eyes:

I suggest the creation of a specific subforum for all the AI related FR, which are, for most of them, just clickbates. This would allow, at least, a cleaner Cubase one.

(post deleted by author)

I don’t know where to start with this one…Writing music with prompts is the future, and then you say we don’t need a DAW that writes the song for us?

There is no such thing as “targeted, restricted prompts”, mate. You either write prompts, or you don’t write prompts. When you write a prompt, the machine will do the job for you. There are no two ways about it.

If you don’t wanna put the work in, maybe go to Suno, it’s awesome for people like your good self.

PS, Please move this thread to the Lounge.

AMEN!!

Curiously you don’t see these kind of posts on the Nuendo or Dorico forums. If I could take a guess, I would say most of these people asking for Ai and threatening with impending doom should steinberg not appease them are mostly amateurs sitting on that thin line between consumers and creators. Better: consumers trying to get a taste of what creation feels like, but then tossing the whole creative process down the toilet, and just getting the product for bragging rights with their fellow consumers.

Just my opinion…

YIKES!
:scream:

This forum is really depressing to read since quite some time. Makes me feel like these days any work is already too much work and people use Cubase and make music because they’re forced to do it.

When I see calls to include so-called “AI” in products, my first thought (apart from “is this a bot asking?”) is to ask what problem, exactly, it is proposed to solve.

Is this one of them?

… because the examples given are things that IMHO are already not difficult to do, and certainly not “soul-crushing”.

If I could, would I want to? Does that not directly contradict the preceding sentence?

Perhaps this is the problem it is proposing to solve:

Someone with a laptop churning out stuff nobody wants to buy, lacking in talent, might indeed be attracted the the idea that adding so-called “AI” might somehow increase income. There is a lot of money being bet on enough people believing that right now.

Not on my computer anyway.

I reckon because these are people that use those products to do actual work and not just “dicking around?”

I guess the thread was originally posted in the Nuendo forum and has been secretly moved here. Just to entertain the idea of Nuendo users doing actual work and Cubase users don’t… :grin:

My big problem with AI in creative work is not what it might be able to do, but the increasing lack on the part of the human to have any understanding of what it has done, and how it has achieved what it has achieved, leaving the operator becoming dumber and dumber.

Then pretty soon any old dumb-a55 can ‘produce’ stuff.

I’m not interested in music made by a machine, however clever. To me, music is all about communication and human emotion. Machines only emulate this. They do not possess it.

I have a high percentage success rate of spotting AI produced tunes when Spotify etc goes into it’s recommended songs mode of stuff I haven’t heard previously.

Surely the whole joy of producing music is producing it, and not letting some ‘work-by-example’ model of AI produce it? Soon it will be just like paint by numbers - you can produce something, but you will have little to no idea of how you produced it. I don’t find that rewarding at all.