Cubase needs a sampler

This is probably why Steiny doesn’t have a dedicated FR forum. :slight_smile: Because people love to debate stuff that’s irrelevant to them personally rather than just ignoring it or saying “I would’t personally use it but who cares?”.

It would just be another tool, that’s all, like the other 4 synths in Cubase or LoopMash… but the mere idea of it causes debate. Given that logic, why even include GAO when we can all just buy Geist?

Maybe the best answer is to just allow audio from the timeline to be sent to and loaded directly into Halion SE for immediate pitched playing? Same thing.

@chase:
I know this solution chase, and don´t like it so much.
I prefer drag´n drop directly from cubase´arrange or pool or media bay, because this daw is my main recording tool.

ok. I think, the best way for all users is to have drag´n drop from cubase into Kontakt sampler!
…as I follow the threads replies here.

Cent.

Cubase needed a sampler years ago. It’s too late now. Those who work with Kontakt will find it very hard to switch. Nowadays libraries are so complex and the several plug ins are so sophisticated that any conversion from one to the other will fail.
The only perfect integration of a DAW and it’s own sampler comes with Live and its drum racks concept. So flexible, so easy to use, so drag and drop that I don’t use Kontakt or Battery for drums in Live. For more complex libraries Kontakt is inevitable, of course. But Groove Agent ONE is lightyears behind and HALion years too late.

Stiller, it´s not about complex libraries etc. It´s about own creative and wild sound design and sampling workflow.
I think Kontakt is so cluttered with all the nice and wonderful possibilities - that absolutely slows down own creativity of “record any audio + as soon as possible make a sample + a little ADSR/filter on it + → play this sample instantly!”

Yes, I certainly agree that it would be good to be able to drag audio from Cubase into Kontakt. But my earlier remarks weren’t about that, they were instead addressing your view that injecting your own audio/samples into Kontakt necessitated awkward navigation via Kontakt’s own browser …

Two different issues. – IMHO, getting hard disk files into Kontakt is easy, and not as awkward as you said; but I too would be pleased to have the ability to drag audio from Cubase into Kontakt.

Absolutely Time Killer.
I use Kontakt 5 every Day and want the drag and drop inside Cubase option since the 10 Years of Kontakt …

+100000000

Please integrate the Halion for all, the Content makes the difference…

I seriously think you should consider buying Halion 4 because this is exactly what you can do the Cubase Halion 4 combo. Record a sample in Cubase, slice it up if you like and drop in Halion 4, works like a charm and is definitely worth the money if you like a very quick workflow with sampling in Cubase.

Bollocks, as a Halion user I did not pay for the content. I paid for a fully intergrated sampler in Cubase with drag and drop, VST3, note expression and so on. I don’t give a hoot about the content.
Integrating a sampler like Halion 4 in Cubase by Steinberg would be very disrespectful to their loyal paying Cubase/Halion users.

but some simple sampler features in Halion One, would be very nice.

If you like vintage, you might like Morgana:

Personally I don’t care much about all synths and effects that come with a daw. Just like I don’t care about windows firewall, anti-spam, internet explorer etc. But that is my opinion.

I use Kontakt because I could crossgrade to it, and if I had waited a little longer, I could have bought it now for even less. And because I absolutely wanted some Sonic Couture instruments.

If I could choose, I’d prefer an Artist version without synths, effects and without Halion, but with, say, expression maps and note expression and some other functionality. But I’m only one user and almost certainly a minority.

This is not to say that Steinberg synths and effects are not good. Or that Halion is not good. Far from: honestly, I don('t know them well enough. Steinberg have been around for so long, longer than I had a computer, and they have invented things like VST and Asio, so I’m pretty shure thyey know what they do.
But: perhaps one day in the future there may come a kind of license thatgives people the chance to choose extra features above the basic version, and all features are activiated with that one dongle. Why should everything be included, including many a thing that specific user won’t ever use? Financially this might also be interesting for Steinberg as people could gradually add features like they wish. “Hey, we have a sampler available, interested?” People could choose to buy it or not, and the new license would simply include it.

Back to subject. You know Morgana?

(da capo)

Voted yes - though I personally am quite content to use Kontakt. But a simple, no frills affair included in Cubase, ideally with an import function for .nki and other formats might be useful for working with other users who don’t have Kontakt.

More than the sampler, they should improve the audio editing path more than their midi. Midi on cubase is solid compare to any other DAW :mrgreen:

If you wonder the difference between Halion and Halion Sonic:

http://computermusicguide.com/halion-4-vs-halion-sonic-2/

I think Cubase and Samplitude are the only DAWs where no simple onboard sampler for easy drag’n drop and pitching by note is integrated…

GA is a sampler, and it sounds fantastic. Feature-wise is ofc lacking in many extra features, as well, it won’t easily map your sample to a chromatic layout which you could re-create by adding a pitched version of your sample on each pad. I think it holds many pads also, by scrolling through layers.

But you can’t drop a sample and play it instantly. (of course the one, but you know what i mean)

Couldnt they just add on to GrooveAgent ONE, without creating a whole new…

Sounds like a plan to me… Free too… :slight_smile:

I thought the whole point of that new bundle they do that includes Halion 4 was “Everything in a box” ?

Personally I think so many people use Kontakt, that Steiny should at least allow drag and drop from the mediabay into Kontakt, would be handy tbh.

But yeah, Kontakt user here. I would have used Halion tbh, but I was on a diff DAW and got Kontakt before I came to Cubase, so switching samplers now would be stupid (Especially as I am awaiting my K5 upgrade)

I see your point and I agree. For me it’s part of a bigger workflow problem in Cubase. It needs an overhaul. Steinberg should know that just adding another plug-in won’t help.